“Not up to Courtyard service standards!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Courtyard Philadelphia Coatesville/Exton

Courtyard Philadelphia Coatesville/Exton
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Coatesville
Danville, Pennsylvania
“Not up to Courtyard service standards!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for one night this past week for business purposes. The hotel was super clean and conveniently located- both real pluses. In addition, my room was a good size and nicely furnished. The fitness room was adequate and the hot tub nice. The pool, while clean, was very small and not big enough for actual swimming. Unfortunately, there were two issues which made me very unhappy with my stay. The first issue was staffing. I had to wait quite a while trying to check in because no one was at the front desk (this was approximately 4:30 PM on a Sunday afternoon). Most of the time during my stay the front desk was similarly unmanned. The same was true of the restaurant- I had to wait quite a while because no one was in the front at the counter. This was prime breakfast time (8:00 AM on Monday), not off hours, and only two other guests were in the dining room. Once I ordered, the service was good and the food tasty. Later that afternoon I wanted to purchase a beverage (this was a little past noon), but again, no one was at either the front desk or restaurant counter, so I eventually gave up. I spent entirely too much time waiting for service at this hotel. I am not sure if the hotel is understaffed or the employees not well supervised. When I did interact with staff, they were polite. Second, the heating system in the room was AWFUL! Setting the room temperature at 68 F resulted in the unit spitting out FRIGID air. In order to feel any warmth at all, I had to turn the temperature up to 76 F and then the room quickly became unbearable. I ended up turning the unit off completely and wearing my coat while watching television. I tried to report the problem, but once again, no one was at the front desk! I would NEVER return to this hotel or recommend it to anyone. This is not what I expect from the Courtyard chain.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
WHGGuestService, Manager at Courtyard Philadelphia Coatesville/Exton, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to comment on Trip Advisor and sharing your experience with the Courtyard Philadelphia Coatesville/Exton. I apologize that your recent stay was not satisfactory and appreciate your feedback.

You’re a valued customer; everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience. Please be assured that we are taking immediate corrective steps to avoid such problems in the future.

If you would like to discuss your experience further, please feel free to contact me directly at the phone number listed below. Once again, please accept my apology. We would like to regain your trust and we hope you will allow us an opportunity to provide you with an exceptional guest experience when your travels bring you back to this area.

Paul Jensen
Coatesville Courtyard
610-380-8700

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the Courtyard Coatesville this past weekend as part of a wedding group. Not being from the area and doing my research it appeared that the town was quite small and my expectations were rather low considering the size of the town and "only game in town" status.

What we discovered was a delightful and hard working staff in a very well maintained, sparklingly clean, and neatly decorated Courtyard hotel. I've stayed in Courtyards across the country and this was my best experience to date.

The bistro served a good quality and well portioned breakfast with Starbucks drinks available 24/7. I especially liked the potatoes, and all the fruit was quite fresh. The eggs were properly prepared, not rubbery as typical with many hotel breakfasts and both the turkey sausage and bacon were tasty.

We also took advantage of the hot tub and pool, both of which were clean, chlorine levels seemingly proper, and plenty of towels available.

The room was very clean, nicely decorated, and the bed very comfortable though my other half wasn't a fan of the pillows they were perfect for me. The shower was also very roomy with a nice frameless glass enclosure, multifunction shower head, and convenient controls mounted so you didn't have to get wet to get the shower started and temperature adjusted.

While I highly doubt I will return to Coatesville in the future I wouldn't hesitate to stay at this hotel again and wish other hotels in areas I do frequent were consistent with this level of service and amenities.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TomGK9
Sterling, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

Enjoyed 2 rooms for one night with my family for a local event. Helpful staff greeted us, and our request for adjoining rooms was granted, enabling adults in 1 room, children in the other -- the first time in my many requests that this had been fulfilled!

All woke up rested, relaxed, ready for the day -- and raving about how comfortable the mattresses were and how good the showers were! We will return to this property if we are ever in the area again!

Room Tip: Call the property in advance if you need adjoining rooms -- the helpful staff made it happen for us...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Scranton, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2014

Thank goodness Marriott built this hotel, because there is nothing else around if you need to be in Coatesville. I think the next closest hotels are 10 miles away.

I stayed for one night and was pleased with both the room and staff. We had a spacious king suite. The furnishings were new and clean, and included a nice bathtub (yay!), a kitchenette with very small mini-fridge, microwave, and sink, and a large sitting area. The extra bedding for the sofabed included a nice fluffy comforter, rather than the thin blanket that is usually provided. It was a true suite, with an actual bedroom door. The ventilation was pretty quiet, and our room looked out onto a creek and wooded hillside. You can hear some traffic noise from Rt. 82, but it's not bad if you're in the back of the hotel. WiFi was slow to connect to their network but free. There is no complimentary breakfast.

The lobby houses a large lounge area and a food place called The Bistro, which serves mainly sandwiches, entree salads, Starbucks, and alcohol. (It also serves breakfast.) It's a little overpriced, but we appreciated the convenience, as there are no restaurants in the immediate area. The serving sizes were generous and the ingredients were very fresh. The pleasant Bistro worker, Erica, tolerated my vegan daughter's lengthy cross-examination of ingredients, then made her a special meal.

The front desk clerk was also helpful. When I asked where the nearest grocery store was located (it's 5 miles away, in Thorndale), she printed out a google map and turn-by-turn directions.

If you're in Coatesville to visit someone at Brandywine Hospital, it's a five-minute drive (about 3 miles) from the hotel.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Hamilton, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014

My husband and I needed to travel to Downingtown PA for a personal event. This was the closest Marriott property. Now, Coatesville PA is not on many folks bucket lists, but it has one heck of a Marriott Courtyard.All we had was a GPS to get us around, it was dark, snowing and icy. Very easy to get to off of Route 30. The property is very young - our room appeared to never have been slept in - it was spotless and brand new. The décor is rather zen, the room layout was very spacious, and the walk in shower was huge. Very comfortable for an overnight . The only possible issue was a paucity of closet space. Staff was exceptionally friendly.

Room Tip: Get a room on the back facing the woods instead of the highway - very quiet.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Newburgh, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

My sister & dad were visiting PA looking at log homes to build. We came down a day early since it was a 4 hr. drive. Log home place recommended this hotel. It was recently renovated and it was a very nice enjoyable stay. The rooms are very nice. Clean & comfortable. Hung out in lobby area to watch football game. Not sure if they have bar, didn't see one. Overall, VERY pleased.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
NEENAH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014

Family Flew in or drove in from all parts of the country so that we could spend New Years with our mother at Stella Rosa Restaurant in Downingtown. The hotel was bright and colorful with friendly staff taking care of our every needs. They had a small cafe that took care of immediate hunger needs allowed Mom to have a cocktail before dinner. Later on the first nights stay while waiting for late night arriving family, a group of stayed downstairs and played Wii games on the TV and sipped wine. Our stay of three nights running went very smooth and way too fast .... We had extra pillows / towels and help confirming our flight arrangements when checking out of the hotel. I'll stay there next time I'm visiting Mom.

Room Tip: River and Woods view is wonderful.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coatesville
Hilton Garden Inn Exton / West Chester
Fairfield Inn Philadelphia Great Valley/Exton
Hilton Garden Inn Kennett Square
Hilton Garden Inn Kennett Square
#1 of 2 in Kennett Square

Been to Courtyard Philadelphia Coatesville/Exton? Share your experiences!