“No "Admit" If You're a Local”

Courtyard Philadelphia Coatesville/Exton
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Coatesville
Vallejo, California
“No "Admit" If You're a Local”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

After living in the area for over two decades, I was thrilled when a hotel was finally being built in Coatesville. I went to make reservations for family from out of town under my Coatesville address and WAS DENIED services. Even after explaining the room was for out-of-town family, they said they couldn't accept reservations under a Coatesville address. I won't rant about what my opinion is, but I can assure you I will not recommend this site or a Marriott property because of this nonsense.

I called the place we usually book in Exton and had no problem. Family had no problem travelling further after hearing what my experience was.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank swilrgirl
WHGGuestService, Manager at Courtyard Philadelphia Coatesville/Exton, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
We appreciate all the feedback that the TripAdvisor.com community provides for our hotel. The experience described does not reflect the service of this hotel or any Marriott branded property.

There are only a few reasons that anyone would be unable to make a reservation with us. Upon check-in, we require a credit or debit card as a means to hold funds for incidentals during a stay. When reserving a room, guests may not use cash or be under the age of 18.

All are welcome at our hotel regardless of residence. Please contact me at the hotel directly and allow me to discuss this matter personally with you.

Thank you.
1-610-380-8700

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Poughkeepsie NY
Reviewed December 19, 2012

This property just opened in the Spring of 2013. Registration area very upscale - but I have seen a couple of newer Courtyards that have the same design. Registration was quick and friendly and the rates were very reasonable - we used AAA. Rooms are a little small but very adequate and very clean. The breakfast and dinner area were a little different than what I have seem at previous Courtyards. Dinner is limited to hot pub food type choices and hot and cold sandwichs; breakfast choices were egg sandwiches, french toast, oatmeal, eggs, etc. but what we had was very good and very generous portions. For both dinner and breakfast you go to the counter, place your order and pay, and then the food is delivered to you at a table or the available dinner/breakfast bar. Staff we encountered were super friendly. We used the pool/hot tup area and exercise room and both were top-notch. This property is another gold star in the Courtyard family!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Bridgewater, New Jersey
Reviewed November 25, 2012

We stayed here for two nights in November. It is in an excellent location off a major highway. Well-designed rooms with a nicely sized bathroom. Very clean hotel with good service. I only wish they had a free continental breakfast - the offerings at the Bistro are decent.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank MJF8610
whgecomm, General Manager at Courtyard Philadelphia Coatesville/Exton, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
I'm so happy to read how you enjoyed your recent visit to our hotel! Equally, I am pleased to learn you were happy with the design and layout of our guestrooms, overall cleanliness and most importantly the service you received from our Staff! If you are in the Coatesville area again, I hope you will come and visit us!

Warmest Regards:
Ridgefield Park, New Jersey
Reviewed November 12, 2012

The hotel is new, modern, and very pleasant to the eye. It has all the main facilities you'd expect from a Marriott. But after all that, my wife and I were disappointed. Nothing you could point to and complain about, but given enough little things, it does spoil the stay.

The staff were okay, but one leaning over the front desk leaning on their elbow and the other doing just enough to be nice, but not quite doing enough to make you feel really welcome.

No kettle or tea bags to make tea, and then being dirrected to the restaurant to buy one, only to find out it closed 20 minutes ago. Really? Couldn't you have told be that beforehand?

Then the toilet was clean after the first night, but those few hairs in the basin and minor stains by the floor suggest housekeeping was in a hurry - and that after leaving a $5 tip. Still, that was fixed the next day, without us saying anything.

Then there is the shower and no bath. Okay, the shower was nice, although closing the door must have been heard several rooms away, but why can't I have a choice of a bath - I actually like to soak after a session in the gym.

Heating. We had to set it to 76 degrees for the heat to kick in. Then when we woke up in the night, it was either cold (triggering a few sneezing sessions), or the unit sounded a bit like a garbage truck. It didn't help that the bedding was always tucked in at a point that made pulling it up to stay warm impossible without getting out of bed and untucking the base it.

Super picky? Maybe. But I'm used to writing great reviews for Marriott. We're used to a very high standard from them - that's why we're usually prepared to pay extra to use them, so to find all these little things wrong is a significant diappointment.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank lilac123abc
NJ
Reviewed November 8, 2012

This hotel opened on May 5, 2012, so it is mostly sparkling and shiny. The staff is wonderful and officious--from the Front Desk to Housekeeping to the Food Service staff at the Bistro (the on-site cafe--reasonably priced, limited choices, but quite tasty). The free breakfast special Courtyard is running on their website (make a reservation through the site, get a free breakfast) doesn't apply to this hotel. The hotel has ample parking, beautifully lit pool and whirlpool and fitness center that look out on some woods, convenient and clean laundry room, and a pit fire outside in the back "courtyard" on weekends. The business center has computers to sit at as well as computers to quick print boarding passes. The wifi works well and streams movies with ease. Several of the hallways have wood or stone floors.

We had a one-bedroom suite, which was large. We had a living room with a double sofa bed (typically not so comfortable), desk, office chair, several lamps and overhead lights, television, kitchenette with sink, refrigerator (that has some kind of quieting mechanism), microwave, and toaster oven, two chairs, and coffee and side tables. There was a closet in the living room. The bedroom had a king-size bed, two armchairs (one with an ottoman), chest of drawers, and a television. The bathroom sink was outside the bathroom with bath and toilet. We thought the place was a good value at $149 plus tax a night (we forgot to show our AAA card!).

We had a room on the back of the hotel, which looked out on woods, so we didn't experience the bright parking lights. The hotel is located immediately off Route 30 West, about 10 miles from Exton where there are more stores and chain restaurants than you know what to do. Coatesville itself is a sleepy little burb with a quiet downtown of small, local shops and churches. If you want groceries, the local store is really small with limited selection, so Exton provides the mega-stores, like Wegmans (among others). Downingtown is another nearby suburb (heading east) which has some funky little shops and stores. To the west is Lancaster with all the Amish and Pennsylvania Dutch sightseeing possibilities. It is easy to get in and out of Philadelphia for sight-seeing, as long as you avoid rush hour which moves at a snail's pace. Valley Forge Park is located about 20 minutes away.

Room Tip: Definitely spend some time poolside.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank DoubleDoors
Bethany, Connecticut
Reviewed October 14, 2012

First stay at this brand new property. It is themed in the business travel brand for the chain. Decor is chic and a bit Euro in design. Rooms are a good size with anticipated features for productivity.

The external fire it is a bonus for a group chat.

Food services have a limited but flavorful variety in an ala carte fashion for breakfast.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank DavidPF80
whgecomm, General Manager at Courtyard Philadelphia Coatesville/Exton, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Dear DavidPF80:
Thank you for writing a review and letting us know about your first-time stay with us. I am thrilled to learn you were happy with the accommodations, amenities and services we offer. I hope you will come back and stay with us, the next time you are in the area on business!

Cincinnati, OH
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I stayed here one night for work. It is very easy to find. It is very new, although some of the chairs in the bistro area already had stains on them. The staff at the fr. desk were nice. My room was quiet and clean. There are large lights on the outside of the hotel shining toward the hotel-it looked like daytime from inside all the time. It was fine with the curtains closed. The hotel wasn't full-but I didn't hear a lot of hallway noise.

I didn't use the gym. I did eat downstairs in the bistro-which was fine for what I needed.
I would stay here again.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank DavidandKim
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coatesville
Home2 Suites by Hilton Downingtown Route 30
#1 of 1 in Honey Brook
Hilton Garden Inn Exton / West Chester
Fairfield Inn Philadelphia Great Valley/Exton
Comfort Suites West Chester Exton

Been to Courtyard Philadelphia Coatesville/Exton? Share your experiences!