“"An Oldie But Definitely A Goodie"”

Original Clam Tavern
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 4, 2013

The Original Clam Tavern has been around since 1935, I remember going there for dinners 20 years ago. For some reason, we stopped going there, I guess we started going to the "in" restaurants instead. My husband surprised me the other night by suggesting we go to the Clam Tavern for his birthday. The restaurant looked exactly the same as it did 20 years ago (I understand the owner gave it a complete overhaul approximately 10 years ago but, he kept the motif). The restaurant looks like a neighborhood bar – wooden tables, paper napkins, nautical motif, etc., nothing fancy. The food, however, is a different story. I had one of the best meals I have ever had the other night. My mother-in-law and I both had the stuffed scallops and they were out of this world. The portions were huge, there were at least 10 large scallops covered with mounds of crab meat. It was absolutely divine. My husband had the filet topped with sun dried tomatoes and mushrooms. He also loved his meal. My only complaint was with the appetizer. We ordered the Shrimp Lejon, which was delicious, but you only received 4 small shrimp for $9.00. I definitely will not wait 20 years to go back to the Clam Tavern again.

1  Thank Lulubelle1212
There are newer reviews for Original Clam Tavern

Reviewed May 26, 2013

The food is excellent, the waiters friendly if not always too sharp, the atmosphere is that of a friendly dive, a bit cramped. Tony the chef and owner comes around to chat with the customers, a nice gesture.Prices are reasonable. It is very popular so check for reservations. I like it.

1  Thank NNL1
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Nothing worse than sitting in the dining room and seeing mice run across the floor. Was completely disgusted. Left without finishing our meal.

2  Thank mike l
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Had a very nice, if not surprise, in Clifton Heights. A small unassuming converted house off the beaten path, but upon the recommendation of my wife's aunt, we took her there for a late Valentines day dinner.

Very good clam chowder, and a great broiled flounder done perfectly. Others had the crab imperial and loved it. Reasonably priced and don't forget to have some cheesecake for dessert!

1  Thank Jerry L
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I've lived in Drexel Hill going on 7 years now, and our older neighbors told us about this place. We have been going for 7 years and have never been disappointed! I even take family visiting us from out of town there and everyone always loves it. The fish is fresh, the dishes are always delicious and the servers are always nice, attentive and efficient. I love that the food is fresh and the place though just a local small place, is clean and has delicious food that is consistently good. It may be a little out of the way for some, but if you're a seafood lover, this is the place for you!