“A great burger and tasty beer”

Denny's Beer Barrel Pub
Ranked #1 of 37 Restaurants in Clearfield
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: This is Denny's Beer Barrel Pub, that's right, the Denny's Beer Barrel Pub that is known for the "World's Largest Hamburger Challenges" and where it all began. What started with a two pound hamburger challenge with homemade buns baked in a coffee can, has now turned into a world famous event. "The Ye Olde 96er" is what really boosted Denny's Beer Barrel Pub into fame and has since been featured on The Food Network, Travel Channel, Tony Danza Show, Good Morning America, Today Show, David Letterman's Top 10, and Country Fried Home Videos on the Country Music Channel. While our two pound burgers are what bring people in, the quality of our daily food is what keeps them coming back. Our menu offers more than just burgers and includes more than 46 different types of wings and several delicious appetizers that are sure to satisfy any appetite. Be sure to wash your food down with one our more than 30 beers on tap including more than 20 craft and local brews. The staff at Denny's Beer Barrel Pub would like to welcome you to Clearfield and invite you to visit us and all our community has to offer.
Coopersburg, Pennsylvania
“A great burger and tasty beer”
Reviewed May 12, 2014

This tends to be our later dinner stop on the way back from fishing Lake Erie and once again it was a great meal. It's so hard to pick the burger you want with so many choices, but I do not think you can go wrong no matter which one you finally decide on. They have some decent beers on tap to go with perfectly seasoned and grilled burgers, good fries, and nice servers. It tends to get packed but if you have to wait, it's well worth doing so. I wish it were a bit closer to home for me, so I could start going through the list of burgers and try them all.

• Visited May 2014

Mississauga, Canada
“Large portions!!”
Reviewed May 10, 2014

Referred by Holiday Inn front desk large portions friendly staff. Large selection had drink called Prickly Pear martini. 3 different sports on couldn't eat half of it

Visited May 2014
Maryland
“The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly”
Reviewed April 22, 2014

We have relatives in Clearfield who live a stone’s throw from Denny’s, and I had been visiting the town and kin for 30 years before realizing that Denny’s was more than a local watering hole. Sure, the place was always packed in the evening and weekends, but when it started turning up on food and travel channels, my interest was piqued.

Of course Denny’s claim to fame is their burger; their menu offers pages and pages of burgers, from minute to monstrous, in combos that you perhaps never would have come up with on your own (pepperoni? Asiago cheese? Corned beef and sauerkraut?). Tired of beef burgers? Try the elk or ostrich burger. It’s all there, but NO SUBSTITUTIONS. It says so on the menu. It takes a lot of effort to come up with these combos, so leave ‘em alone. (Although, if you keep going on the menu, and you will eventually come to a page where you can make up your own custom creation. So all is not lost if you desire your own creativity.) In addition to the potpourri of burgers, Denny’s offers wraps, subs, salads, soups, seafood, steaks, Mexican food, Irish food, Italian food, AND pizzas. A virtual round-the-world tour in wee Clearfield. Who knew?

This is the ‘good’. Give yourself at least 15 minutes to peruse the menu. It seems impossible, but anything you pick from off the menu, you will probably like. If you are a burger junkie, you will have found nirvana. The majority are fist-sized or bigger, on an immense bun skewered with a steak knife and oozing with deliciousness.

Denny’s consists of two distinct sections: a warmly lit log-wall dining room, and a dungeon-like lower bar lit by beer signs, which makes everyone look as if they’re auditioning for the Blue Man Group. For whatever reason, the management thought that it was a good idea to keep the dining room closed that night. We were ushered to the last available table in the bar, at 5:40 on a Thursday night. This was the bad.

Here comes the ugly. We sat immediately next to a table of 11, a lively group who appeared to come directly to Denny’s from a stint of years in solitary confinement. Now, one expects a fair amount of noise in a Sports Bar, in addition to a few swear words; I’ve been know to dabble in obscenity myself from time to time. These people raised the bar on both to an unapproachable level for us mere humans. I would have voiced my awe, if I could have screamed that loud.

It was the shrieking of the women that did me in. Like those times when you’re a prisoner on a plane from Washington to Denver, sitting in front of a two-year-old whose screams could crack diamonds. This was worse. This was brain-stem-shattering loud. I was amazed that neon from broken signs wasn’t flowing down the walls.

Now, I realize that the management of a restaurant, and especially a bar, can do only so much about the behavior of its guests. But the fact that the dining room stood unused upstairs, and that I didn’t have the option to escape these boors with a different table, really left me with a bad taste. Gina, our capable and very patient waitress, scurried throughout the meal, accommodating the table from hell and the rest of us with ease. I would have been tempted with dessert, but I couldn’t stand it. One. More. Minute.

As we were leaving, there was a crowd of at least 30 people waiting in Denny’s long cellar-like bar entrance. Seems to me that the business decision of serving only in the bar that Thursday was an epic fail.

Footnote: We went back to Denny’s on Saturday evening and were happily seated in the dining room. We had Gina as a waitress again and this time was much more pleasant; for this experience I’ll give Denny’s another half a star. You can’t fault the food or the service here. They’re great. I recommend the turkey reuben, the chipolte bison burger, the sliders, and the black pepper fries.

• Visited April 2014
“Expensive but good”
Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

The food is good. Especially the shrimp barrel kabobs. But the prices are a bit high for a town this size. Was it worth the price? Between the wait at the door, the rude waitress, the little to no elbow room to the table next to you...not really. The only bonus was the food was good and the table next to us had a good sense of humor.

West Decatur PA
“Excellent”
Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

Food is excellent. Great menu selection! Might have a wait, but it is well worth it. Has been featured on Food Network.

• Visited February 2014