“Truly awful food, serviing policies, attitude”

Denny's Beer Barrel Pub
Ranked #1 of 37 Restaurants in Clearfield
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: This is Denny's Beer Barrel Pub, that's right, the Denny's Beer Barrel Pub that is known for the "World's Largest Hamburger Challenges" and where it all began. What started with a two pound hamburger challenge with homemade buns baked in a coffee can, has now turned into a world famous event. "The Ye Olde 96er" is what really boosted Denny's Beer Barrel Pub into fame and has since been featured on The Food Network, Travel Channel, Tony Danza Show, Good Morning America, Today Show, David Letterman's Top 10, and Country Fried Home Videos on the Country Music Channel. While our two pound burgers are what bring people in, the quality of our daily food is what keeps them coming back. Our menu offers more than just burgers and includes more than 46 different types of wings and several delicious appetizers that are sure to satisfy any appetite. Be sure to wash your food down with one our more than 30 beers on tap including more than 20 craft and local brews. The staff at Denny's Beer Barrel Pub would like to welcome you to Clearfield and invite you to visit us and all our community has to offer.
New London, Connecticut
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Truly awful food, serviing policies, attitude”
Reviewed August 12, 2011

Big mistake, stay away:
1. They charged us for water, even though I also ordered a cocktail and my daughter ordered a milk. NEVER has that happened anywhere.
2. My daughter's wings (reg buffalo) were soggy, tasteless, awful. She loves all wings and never complains. Big surprise as they really built up the wings on the menu.
3. I asked for my bun to be toasted, waitress said it would be. It was not. She said "That's how it comes from the kitchen; that's toasted." IT WASN'T and I asked BEFORE I ordered. She said "we're not allowed to order ANYTHING different in the kitchen and that's just how it comes." She looked terrified of the kitchen. Sad.
4. They changed up .75 for BBQ sauce and another .75 for blue cheese dressings. Not a lot but why nickel and dime your customers?
5. Burger was totally overcooked, fries were soggy, bun was stale.
6. "Martini" was straight vodka--"That's how it comes!"

Seriously terrible management attitude, serious rip-off joint. Every. item. of food and drink, except my daughter's milk, was not good.

NEVER GO THERE.

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank Maribelle M

Toronto, Canada
“Novelty burger”
Reviewed August 9, 2011

It was fun to drop by here and we orderd a 2 pound burger to share with my sister and a side of wings. The burger was ok, but it was very soggy so the bottom bun was not really edible.

Visited August 2011
Pennsylvania
“Good food, but not Great!”
Reviewed May 31, 2011

Obviously, when we knew we were going through the Clearfield area, we decided to stop here because of all of the Food Network and Travel Channel hype. First, service was good for us. Despite prior reviews, our waitress was courteous and attentive. The food did take some time to come out, but that is on the kitchen, not the waitress. As with prior reviews, they are strict on what comes on the food. You get it the way it is on the menu, or if you make your own creation, it will cost you more. That is a bit rigid for my liking. We shared a dozen of the hot bacon bbq wings which we all agreed were very, very good! We each ordered a 1/2lb burger from the menu. I had the French onion burger and while it had a good taste, it was a bit dry for me (they do not give you a choice in how you want your burger cooked, so mine was too well done for my taste!). Also, I opted for the Brew City Fries which were ok, but not worth the extra $.59 they charge for a "fry upgrade." Everyone else seemed to enjoy their burgers - lots of food. All agreed that their fries were average. Overall, the burgers and wings were tasty, but the prices are indicative of a place that knows it is now a destination stop and charges accordingly. We would try it again, but it wasn't a "Wow" kinda place for us!

• Visited May 2011
1 Thank KeyLimeLover69
Guilford, CT
“Burger Capitol of the World!!”
Reviewed May 18, 2011

On the way home from Chicago, we stopped at the Holiday Inn Express right off Route 80. We asked the front desk for recommendations for dinner. Lucky for us, directions were all printed out and after a long day on the road, we didn't want to deal with anything complicated in the middle of nowhere PA. Well, needless to say, the directions were great and we drove up and parked immediately. It must of been Mother's Day or Sunday night as it wasn't crowded and we had immediate seating. No problem. Then we get these giant menus with burgers made a gozillian ways. The waitress had to come back twice because our Evelyn Woods' Speeding Reading course just wouldn't kick in. I wasn't feeling too daring that night so I ordered the smallest 1/3 lbs. build your own. Not only did I have fixins choices, I could choose my bread (fresh marbled rye). Thought I had it down until the waitress asked me what type of fries I would like. Well, here we go again. I believe there were 10 choices, so I decided on curly, seasoned fries; definitely the right choice. My daughter (19) and husband (timeless) were certainly satisfied as well. Still packaged half of mine. Forget dessert, although it looked good.

The service was timed just right and pleasant. The atmosphere was fun and what you would expect from a pub. We enjoyed the wall of honor detailing people's feats of attempted consumption of the super burgers within a three-hour time limit. Just plain fun to look at.

Did buy the postcards and sent one to my son in Alaska and friend in Manchester, England. Can't wait to hear their responses.

If you want an original, delicious burger in the middle of nowhere, this is the place without question.

We will definitely be back in August when we make the return trip to Chicago. Dread the drive, but at least I know we'll get a good meal in fun surroundings with great service and definitely value for our money.

Definitely stop there--you'll be glad you did.

Thanks for the fun!

• Visited May 2011
Minneapolis
“Get the wings!”
Reviewed May 13, 2011

Wings are their specialty and they were great! I went with a coworker and we stayed in town that night and split the Oriental wings and a bacon cheeseburger. I am a foodie and the wings were worth the trip, the burger was just ok. I live in MN and compare a lot of burgers and this one isn't worth a repeat.

Visited May 2011