“Cheapest Hotel Ever”

Budget Inn Clearfield
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Clearfield
Reviewed June 28, 2013

First of all, why are hotels on I-80 so expensive in Pennsylvania? Seriously, This hotel was the cheapest by a long-shot. Every hotel on that highway was 90 dollars or more, even some crappy chain hotels charging as much as 160/night. No Thanks Holiday Inn! So we yelped to find a hotel under 100 dollars and this was pretty much the only one that came up. When driving from northern Maine to Indiana a stop was necessary. After camping for a week in Acadia National Park any room with a shower and bed was acceptable. This place is a dive of sorts, but its so cheap who cares? All I wanted to do was sleep and shower and this place helped me accomplish this goal. I think this place is run by a friendly Hare Krishna group, and here is what you need to expect; the office smells strongly of moth balls and the pillows on the bed are no picnic. The showers are very out of date like perhaps from the 50's or 60's but are not cool in a mod-retro way. When getting off of 80 there is a bit of a jaunt to get to the hotel, we cruised for a 5-10 minutes into a steamy forest and thought we may be getting off track don't be scared, just keep going, when you leave in the morning to get back on the highway its only a few minutes to get back on the road. I would definitely recommend this for a stopover intended only to sleep. There a school or church across the road and another random hotel next door, but there isn't much else around. Also I would like to thank the family for letting us check in so late, around 2 or 3 AM it was really awesome because we were so tired and couldn't dream of paying so much for a night

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HoosierKiwi
There are newer reviews for Budget Inn Clearfield

Reviewed April 27, 2013

We had a coupon book and paid 34.99 plus tax or whatever. The place was very clean with no bed bugs, and for me, that's all I need. We only stopped to sleep on a long trip. Had microwave, tv, refrigerator, ice machine nearby, two beds, table for two with chairs, shampoo and soap....nice firm beds (maybe too firm for some, but I liked it), It was quiet and had a restaurant next door, though we weren't thrilled with the buffet. The people at the motel were very nice, and even checked our room as we were leaving and saved me from leaving two of my own special pillows behind. Seriously. Breakfast was coffee, juice and packaged donuts....not great....but for the price.......why pay more?

Room Tip: ask for one on the parking lot, not on the inside hallway.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank dragonflysees
Reviewed December 19, 2012

As always, if you seek the Hilton, stay at the Hilton. If you stay at the Budget Inn, expect a budget hotel. This place is basic but gets the job done. Three of us (parents, older child) stayed there, and while it was nothing fancy, the price was right, and the stay was comfortable. Beds were fine, TV worked well (hi-def, I think), clean and bug-free.

We checked in quite late, so the owner gave us 30 more minutes for check-out the next day. Accommodating and quite friendly.

Drawbacks were minor: Towels were a bit thin. We heard a baby crying next door in the morning, but you might get that anywhere. The motel is a bit off the beaten path, so make sure you know where you're going.

Finally, while we didn't have a chance to try it, a family restaurant is right next door to the motel, and we heard good things about it. Very convenient.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Timothy B
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I called ahead for a late check in and they obliged. The room was clean, comfortable and warm. Microwave oven and mini refrigerator in room. Plenty of hot water and powerful shower head. You cannot complain about paint and decor in a $50 room. Small flat screen on the wall with all of your major cable channels. The walls were a little thin but all in all a great place to rest your head. I did not eat there but there is a restaurant across the parking lot.

Room Tip: if you are a light sleeper the walls seemed to be a little slim.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank thehamoftruth
Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

A coupon sent me there and I just about didn't stay. There were obviously some long term residents with charcoal grills by their doors. The staff was friendly. My non smoking room was a bit smelly and musty even though the windows were open. However the room was clean (except for the bedspread) and there were no bugs. The fridge worked. There was no outlet in the bathroom. The bed was worn out and you could feel the springs. The bedspread was dingy. This motel is not close to the interstate, especially from the westbound directions. There is a restaurant next door, very handy.

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank discoverer1972
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Needed a place that accepted dogs and it seems that in Clearfield this is it. They advertise that there 'MAY' be a charge. Well I am here to tell you there 'is' a charge $15 extra on a $40 room. I also asked for a non smoking room and all they had left was a smoking room. No question that if you want a no frills motel, this is it. Room was clean but did smell. Water was ok after we let the water run out of the pipes. They advertised breakfast but never mentioned at checking and I forgot to ask. Most likely would not have eaten there anyway. Because of the horific pet charge, I will not stay there again. At least they should have been honest and up front. That really bothered me and they lost my trust

Room Tip: Get there early so you can get a non smoking room and closer to the well so your water does not have...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Al M
Reviewed August 16, 2011

We spent three nights at this property in July, 2011. The owners were very friendly and they really made every effort to be accommodating. When we made our reservation, we requested a refrigerator and a microwave Both items were setup and ready for us when we arrived. That being said, here are a few of my "other" comments. Many of the guest rooms open directly to the outside parking lot. We were in a small section that has guest rooms which open into an interior corridor. Several room air conditioners vent into that interior corridor so it was hot and stuffy walking through it when those A/C units were in use. In order to stay here, my husband and I went to the local walmart where I purchased cleaning supplies and gave the entire room a good cleaning, including washing the walls. I folded up the bedspreads and tucked them away - they did not get used during our visit. I did not sit in the chairs in our room, as they were upholstered and I did not have any upholstery cleaner. Had our room chairs been vinyl, I would have been able to clean them. During our stay, the property was occupied by many construction workers. Some brought their chairs outside of their rooms to hang out in the parking lot. On our first day, after checking in and seeing our room, we walked over to the nearby Rodeway Inn and asked to see one of their rooms. We then tried to relocate to that hotel, but they were unable to accommodate us for the three nights. If we return to Clearfield, we will not return to the Budget Inn.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank FactualReviewer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clearfield
Rodeway Inn
#4 of 9 in Clearfield
Clarion Hotel
Clarion Hotel
#7 of 10 in DuBois

Been to Budget Inn Clearfield? Share your experiences!