“As kieer's Mountain noone knows about”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Blue Knob

Blue Knob
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Claysburg
More attraction details
Owner description: All season resort offers winter skiing, snowboarding, a tubing park and cross-country; in summer, golfing, hiking and mountain biking are popular activities.
Bowie, Maryland
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“As kieer's Mountain noone knows about”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

If you are a skier, this is a mountain for you. A 2 minute lift line is considered long. The trails are well groomed and the staff is friendly. There is no glitz and glamor here, but there is a bar, snack bar and the skiing is good. There was a time when the snow was bad, but new management has been making good snow. when there is natural snow, Extrovert is the best ski trail south of Vermont. IF you want a local place to ski with no crowds, regardless of what your ski ability is, this is where you should check out

Visited February 2013
5 Thank Hugh B

State College, Pennsylvania
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“When there is snow, this place is great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

Ok, so the problem with PA skiing is the frequent lack of natural cover. Snowmaking helps, but Blue Knob really benefits from natural snow. When there is coverage, this is the best terrain in PA, easy! Nothing beats the lower mountain off the mid-chair. Extrovert, stemboggin, east wall, lower high hopes, lower 66, etc.... Fantastic! Closest thing you'll get to hard core New England skiing without the commute. I've skied here since 1983, and always look forward to come back. No après, functional lodge at best, and no town to speak of, but if you go to ski, you will be happy as long as they have decent conditions. If you are totally reliant on groomed snowmaking trails, go to Seven Springs.

1 Thank FLDorman
Williamsburg, Virginia, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Not the highlight of my Winter”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

I recently booked a room with some friends of mine. The snowboarding was great because it was snowing the whole time we were there and so the conditions were perfect. The resort itself was under par. The cable tv did not work, and when we called down to the front desk the response we received from the attendant was "you're on a mountain, what do you expect?" For 330 dollars a night for the suite we booked I expected the television to work. Also there was not wi-fi in the room and the quality of the restaurant, bar, and cafeteria was all sub-par. Me and my friends definitely wont be going back to this place. If you are a local or have someplace nice to stay, it would be a great day trip, but definitely not worthy of a winter vacation.

5 Thank 702TonyB
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Epic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

I've been wanting to go to blue knob for a while and based on the 2 most recent reviews below, 2 friends and I decided to make the 3 Hr drive to Blue Knob from DC early Saturday (Jan 26). We were planning on going to Whitetail but switched at the last minute the night before to avoid crowds and in hope of finding a few inches of fresh snow. We arrived at 8:40 am to 6 inches of fresh untouched snow. There was only about 15 cars in the parking lot and parked right outside the lodge, geared up and grabbed our lift tickets and got on the slopes right at opening at 9. The conditions were all your could ever hope for in the Mid-Atlantic. It snowed all day, adding about 2-3 inches. The terrain was the best I've skied in the area (Wintergreen, Whitetail, Wisp, Snowshoe). The trails are definitely longer than anywhere else too. I can see where ice could be an issue on non-powder days as some spots did get icy but eventually got covered again by snow in the afternoon. There was nobody there all day and there were no lift lines. We even got ski some of the glades which was awesome. It was a perfect day. This is the best resort in the Mid-Atlantic by far, when conditions are right. Definitely worth the extra hour and a half from DC. My only complaint is that I wish they had a High speed lift to service the Lower Mountain so I could get more laps in. The facilities were decent, but you come to ski so who cares.

5 Thank DCski11
Butler, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“What a great day on the slopes”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

Was suppose to go up with a couple of friends Monday Jan 21st, but my friends bailed due to illness, I had been chomping at the bit for months when I discovered Blue Knob in summer and did some hiking and saw how beautiful the mountains were. Well I must say the wait was worth it, I fell in love with the resort on the first run!! Living in Pa any time you can ski over 2 miles non-stop and it not be cross country skiing it's amazing. I was just impressed with the challenging trails and the fact I skied for 6 hours and never got bored. I also have to say the ski lodge was great the bartender Denise was so friendly and helpful with advice about the local area. The locals were fantastic as well all were very friendly and eager to talk about their ski area. I am truly looking at buying a place at the resort this mountain is truly a diamond in the ruff and I can't wait to get back up and ski again. Can't say enough good things about Blue Knob, if you into ritzy resorts and being pampered this resort is not for you, but if your in great fun, a beautiful mountain and the best skiing around .... What are you waiting for? The ski lift ticket are so reasonable got a all day ski pass for $49 on a Holiday non the less .. What a Deal!!

5 Thank mgeiger