“Nice if you can get a good price”

Nichols Village Hotel & Spa
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Clarks Summit
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Stopped here for the night on a road trip. We decided to use Priceline's express deal to get a three star hotel, and ended up here. It's very close to the interstate (about a mile off of it) and right next to a few fast food and gas options, as well as a grocery store and a CVS.

This seems like a spa-like hotel that hasn't been updated for a few years, but still has life in it. The carpets were vacuumed and the sheets and towels were clean, and so was our room. The bathroom had an option for one of those sunless tanners, which I haven't seen in years but I thought was cool. A few nice touches in the room made it more pleasant, and the beds were comfortable.

The walls and floors have some dents and scratches, if you bother to look, but the overall feel of the hotel is pleasant and tasteful. I didn't make use of the pool but it looked nice enough, and the fitness area has a few cardio machines and two weight options.

Staff was courteous and responsive, and the parking is very good for bringing in luggage. Area is quiet and safe. I'd be pleased to stay here again, though I'd want to get a good price.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Robert12084, General Manager at Nichols Village Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

I would like to thank you for staying with us on your recent trip. If your travels permit next time please check out our Spa. It is a full service Spa with the full range of services

Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

An older place but very clean and quiet. Nice place for families. Staff was very friendly and I would stay there again. My only complaint would be regular coffee Makers in the rooms. Pool area was clean and on site restaurant on site is very nice

• Stayed: April 2014

I would like to thank you for your recent stay with us. I noted that you did not like the coffee makers. Some guests do like the single service pod machine instead of the small pots that some hotels use.It is a matter of personal taste

Reviewed March 31, 2014

I am recently engaged. My fiancée attended a wedding at Nichols Village years ago and remembered really enjoying himself. We scheduled an appointment to tour the grounds for our wedding this past Saturday March 22, 2014 at 12:30. We were coming from a half hour away, knowing that we left early but we hit unexpected traffic on 81 near Dickson City. When we pulled into the parking lot we were less than impressed with the upkeep of the outside of the building. Our first reaction was just to leave but seeing as though we are just ending Winter we decided to give it a shot. We weren't expecting to hit traffic however I still take responsibility for being ten minutes late. When we walked into the lobby I explained to the girl at the desk that we had an appointment for 12:30 to tour the place for our wedding. She looked baffled, then she tried to tell me our appointment was between 12:00 and 12:30. I reassured her I made the appointment myself and it was set for 12:30 and I apologized for being late because we hit unexpected traffic. She then said she remembered it was for 12:30 but we were ten minutes late. She then told me we either had to wait for all the other appointments to be done for the day or reschedule. Considering this is going to be the biggest day of my life I'd like to think that you would have scheduled me for a little longer than thirty minutes. Also, do you really think that is the best way to treat people who are looking to spend thousands upon thousands of dollars for a one day event?? Needless to say we won't be rebooking our appointment. I plan on telling everyone I can about the poor experience we had there. It wasn't even worth the half hour drive.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Melissa M

I would like to apologize the way in which your last appointment was handled. There is no excuse. I can only say that we were between the former Director of Catering leaving and before the New person started. Appointments should not be made at half hour intervals especially for a wedding . I can understand your frustration and hope where ever you decided to book your event that you have a beautiful day.

Reviewed March 14, 2014

My wife and I were returning to Canada and our daughter suggested we try "hotwire" to book a room. She said the hotels are good and the prices are right. I decided to try it. We got Nichols Village Hotel. Our family had stayed there about 30 years ago but I vaguely remember it is being a pretty "posh place". My wife says it remind her of an "Mature lady who could use a face lift". The girl at the front desk, Maggie was great. Very helpful and informative. We had a nice room but it had twin beds which we haven't used in decades. They were comfortable and the room we had was clean and well appointed. It was apparent that the hotel needed some work. The ice machine on our floor didn't work and there were a few items that could have been touched up. The breakfast room was very Spartan and there wasn't much selection. It is the first breakfast room in a hotel that didn't have a T.V. set in order to watch the news. The girl said they had just moved into that room and were not done remodelling it. Overall it was a comfortable stay but it would be nice to see it returned to it's former self. I certainly hope they do a remake soon. The location iss right alongside I-81 which is nice for easy off....easy on.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PJ M

Thank you for your stay with us. We have quite a few guests from Canada. It is true we just moved the breakfast to a new room. There is a TV in the room now and it is fully setup now. Your one comment about twin beds has me puzzled. We do not any twin beds in the entire hotel.
I hope to see next time your travels bring you this way.

Reviewed February 25, 2014

The food was "Trash on a Plate" the rooms were dirty and bed were sliding! The management was passing the buck! The tubs were dirty, mold and mildew smell in the rooms! The management wouldn't even respond to our complaints, it is now Feb and we stayed in January, General manager wont return my calls.

Room Tip: Just go for the Spa!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank mellowbaby Y
Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 1 night when our oldest son did an overnight visit at Keystone College. Management at this hotel is extremely poor. It took asking 3 different employees, that gave 3 different answers, where their continental breakfast was and when we finally found it, it was pretty gross. There was more garbage surrounding the dumpsters than actually inside of them. It was an absolute pig sty. The snow removal, or lack there of, was ridiculous. Many sidewalks hadn't been shoveled at all and the ones that were, were done quite poorly. The hallways appeared to not have been vacuumed in weeks. Ashtrays that needed to be emptied. There was garbage everywhere. By far the most disgusting sight was the pool, which looked more like a stagnant pond than a pool. The water was green and very cloudy. When we walked into the pool facility, we were not welcomed by the strong smell of chlorine like at most other hotels. No it smelled of dirty, old feet. There was no chlorine smell at all. Our room was descent but the bathroom could have been cleaner. I could go on but I think I've said enough.

Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank Bh5539
Reviewed February 14, 2014

The room was very dusty and had dirt on the tops of each picture frame and the base boards. As well as behind the bed. Their were trash from prior guest. The garden spa whirlpool ceiling paint was peeling and showed black mildew. It took several phone calls to have the hotel release their hind on my credit card After I paid a week ago with a different form of payment. I also booked the reservation a month ago and found it cheaper online the night before. Called hotel the night before and spoke to the desk clerk Patrick and he assured me he would cancel my prior reservation at the more expensive rate. Never did. Left a message for the general manager mr Bob Jones and was told he would call me back within a few minutes. That never happened! This is defensively a one and done stay!!

• Stayed: February 2014
Robert12084, General Manager at Nichols Village Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

I am sorry You did not enjoy your stay .I do not recall getting a message to call you. Sometimes it takes awhile to get an authorization cancelled. It is not just something the hotel can do on its own. We must contact the clients bank to get them to release itand each bank has their own procedures. The Spa area has been dealt with and repaired.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Clarks Summit
Days Inn Scranton PA
Days Inn Scranton PA
#8 of 10 in Scranton
Home2 Suites by Hilton Dickson City Scranton

Been to Nichols Village Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!