“Best we've seen in the area”

Nichols Village Hotel & Spa
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Clarks Summit
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Best we've seen in the area”
Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

We've stayed in some very overrated places in the northeastern Pennsylvania area, so it was nice to walk into a hotel and not be disappointed. Clean, quick, comfortable, small breakfast, but with an attentive staff. No complaints regarding the facilities, everything seemed to be in good working order. We were on a very short trip, so we didn't get to experience the rest of the hotel facilities.

• Stayed July 2013
Robert12084, General Manager at Nichols Village Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
I was happy to see that you enjoyed you short stay with us.If you have the chance to stay longer next time,i hope you will give our Spa s try.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My family of 5 was there on July 5-July 8. We booked the room through hotwire secret deal option. It was worth the price of $55/night. I wouldn't consider it being worth the full price of $150/night. The room was spacious and didn't feel crowded for a family of 5. There is a pool but didn't use it because we went swimming at a family reunion nearby. I did test the water with a foot. Seemed a nice temperature. Wasn't cold or warm. It stays open until 11 pm which are late hours compared to other hotels. There is a free continental breakfast with hot items. Good deal for free. If you want some really yummy breakfast, go elsewhere. My only complaint was that it charges $10 to rent a crib which seems exorbitant price considering local hotels with less prestige do not charge. Best part is that a maintenance man fixed our tv a few minutes after calling front desk. The staff are friendly and helpful. Would suggest this place if paying a bargain price. Is not worth paying full price.

Room Tip: Get it at bargain price or otherwise it's not worth the full price value.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Glen Rock, New Jersey
Reviewed July 7, 2013

just returned from a short stay to see AAA yankees. the Railriders park is about 15 min drive away and is worth a visit if a baseball fan. The hotel is average..we did get the presidential area which had easy parking and bigger rooms overlooking a nice courtyard or a parking lot depending upon which way you are facing. had many issues with room cards not working but staff could not have been nicer throughout. One room did have a small ant issue. Bathroom big with only basic amenities. Tvs on small side but fine. Small balcony (but nice to have)..one room had chairs out on balcony, one room did not . The grounds are nicer than you would think from the road...the place in general is dated in appearance. The area for the included breakfast is far too small for size of hotel and only one wafflemaker with a looong wait. Coffee fine, minimal fruit, reheated egg wrap fair, blueberry muffin good, bacon did not look appealing. Breakfast goods ran out with no replacement.
bottom line..used priceline and for the price was fine. Luckily all rooms are nonsmoking. didnt use spa , pool area..indoor..looked nice and was bigger than anticipated

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Highland Park, New Jersey
Reviewed July 3, 2013

We stayed at this hotel on our way to an Upstate NY vacation...it was right off of Rt. 81, easy on-easy off. The reviews weren't so great, even though it had a 4 star rating from the website I booked on, so I was a little nervous. But, we were surprisingly pleased. We arrived very late and the front desk person couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. Our room was located in the main building on the 2nd floor. The room itself was spacious; there were 2 double beds in the room, a small fridge, a desk, a chair, and an armoire with a TV. I was happy that we got many channels, rather than the 3 or 4 provided by many hotels! The bathroom was large, and while it looked clean, there was a bathroom odor. I didn't notice the odor the next day when we left, though. We didn't use any of the facilities, so I can't comment on them. The free breakfast leaves a lot to be desired...I have no idea how they made the eggs, or if they were even eggs!! They were like rubber, inedible (hard boiled and "fried"). There was bacon, which we do not eat, make your own waffles (no sugar free syrup :-( ), hard muffins, yogurt, and toast. Nothing was very good quality or enticing to eat. We tossed whatever we took and had the coffee, then stopped a bit later while on the road. Check out was very easy and, again, the desk person was very friendly. BTW, I used a discount site to book a hotel before knowing which hotel I was getting....it was half of the price I would have paid on any other booking site! I would stay here again and would recommend this hotel to a friend (but I would put in a warning about the breakfast!!)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Robert12084, General Manager at Nichols Village Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
I was pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us.Perhaps the next time you have an occasion to pass by this way you will get a chance to visit our full service spa.We are in the middle of revamping our breakfast offering and appreciate your comments in that area
Port Charlotte, Florida
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I just recently stayed at this hotel. Very good location right off of the PA. turnpike near Scranton. Hotel is spread out, but parking is not a problem. Great indoor pool with lanscaped adjacent courtyard. I would recommend that you pay the upgrade fee to the Presidential Building if possible.
Very friendly and helpful front desk staff. Continental breakfast is ok, nothing bad, nothing great. Meeting space is available for small groups, and a nice area for a wedding.

Room Tip: Presidential building is nice, as it is tucked away on the side of the mountain with their own patio...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I was happy yo see you enjoyed your stay with us.The presidential rooms are very lovely.At 450 sq. ft. they are much large than rooms than you will find almost anywhere.
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

I selected this hotel based on star ratings. It should be ranked as a 2 since it is a surprise as to what you get.
It has a rather lovely location as well as close to the highway and the exterior is well kept. My experience was that the common areas were clean and well kept. ...I was only in the main building so I did not see other areas but I did not notice any offensive odors or smoke.

Now the rest of it.....the rooms appear as they likely looked when the hotel was first built from the original chain circa early eighties. I think that chain sold the property rather than renovate.....it needs it. The bathroom is dated and the vanity is old style at nearly knee height. I had to hold the lever to flush the toilet. The fixtures are old and corroded. The lock was falling inside the entry door and the safty lock was not secure. Refer to my photos. It seemed to work ok but my wife would not have stayed here if she was with me on this trip.
The desk chair was ripped and did not stay upright.....I had to use one of the stationary chairs to catch up on my paperwork at the desk. The mattresses were old and lumpy although my room did appear clean overall. The room had an old fashioned in wall air conditioner that was off when I arrived and the room was uncomfortably warm. The air conditioner worked well and the room was cool in an hour or two. Note to hotel.....keep the a.c. running at a warmer setting so it cools faster or use smart thermostats that are programmed to cool when the room is reserved or checked into. The fourth floor icemaker doesn't work.

The breakfast experience......I did not book expecting free breakfast so I was minimally disappointed. I mention it because other reviewers mentioned issues from back in February that are not taken care of. There is a waffle maker that can't make a waffle. It is dirty and worn. Replace it!!!! Other people have mentioned it before. The coating is worn off. No matter how clean it is or how much non stick spray you use the waffle is stuck completly and will only come out as crumbs. The eggs were old and dried out and the bacon appears it was microwaved. None was appealing. If the hotel cannot listen to the guests or provide a quality breakfast they should discontinue the breakfast service.

Finally my last tidbit. I have worked in the customer service industry for over 25 years and the staff commited the number one customer service no-no right at check in. After waiting for other guests to check in......two staff members were working the desk.....one fella was done with his guest and ignoring me, asked the young lady working with him to take care of me when she was done with her guest. Only then was I addressed to be told she would help me in a minute. It was time for him to leave as apparently he was covering someones shift. You never ignore your guests or pawn then off if you are free to handle them. It took about three minutes for the young lady to get me checked in. I think some customer service training may go a long way.

It would be unlikely that I would stay again or recommend to others unless some changes and improvements are made. It is too bad as this is a convienient location in my rather frequent travel through this area.

• Stayed June 2013
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your review.it is reviews such as yours that help us improve the hotel. Your points are well taken and I have met with the staff at both the front desk and the breakfast dept and went over your comments with them.
Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Stayed there for one night. Wasn't as picky as such but it appreared to have all the amenities of a Hampton or Holiday Inn Express. Room was very good (with children) and air conditioner was consistently cool for a very hot day. Bathroom just fine. Most of the TV stations though were analog; reception not ideal.

Always look forward to a decent fitness room; here though, it needed maintenance. Half of the room has a deluxe mult-function weight machine - this was in good shape. Other half had cardio, not. Elliptical was noisy and bumpy - unusable, an otherwise decent treadmill's circuit breaker cut off at a higher but still normal running speed. Needed maintenance. Zero resistance on recumbant bike.

Breakfast was ok not great ; hard-boiled eggs (for us egg-white eaters), tasty omelet, cereal selection poor, only milk available 2%. Only fruit oranges.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments.I have the fitness repair man into to look at the issues you found.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clarks Summit
Days Inn Scranton PA
Days Inn Scranton PA
#8 of 10 in Scranton
Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel Scranton

Been to Nichols Village Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!