“Very Nice Stay”

Nichols Village Hotel & Spa
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Clarks Summit
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I just recently stayed at this hotel. Very good location right off of the PA. turnpike near Scranton. Hotel is spread out, but parking is not a problem. Great indoor pool with lanscaped adjacent courtyard. I would recommend that you pay the upgrade fee to the Presidential Building if possible.
Very friendly and helpful front desk staff. Continental breakfast is ok, nothing bad, nothing great. Meeting space is available for small groups, and a nice area for a wedding.

Room Tip: Presidential building is nice, as it is tucked away on the side of the mountain with their own patio...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Robert12084, General Manager at Nichols Village Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I was happy yo see you enjoyed your stay with us.The presidential rooms are very lovely.At 450 sq. ft. they are much large than rooms than you will find almost anywhere.

Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

I selected this hotel based on star ratings. It should be ranked as a 2 since it is a surprise as to what you get.
It has a rather lovely location as well as close to the highway and the exterior is well kept. My experience was that the common areas were clean and well kept. ...I was only in the main building so I did not see other areas but I did not notice any offensive odors or smoke.

Now the rest of it.....the rooms appear as they likely looked when the hotel was first built from the original chain circa early eighties. I think that chain sold the property rather than renovate.....it needs it. The bathroom is dated and the vanity is old style at nearly knee height. I had to hold the lever to flush the toilet. The fixtures are old and corroded. The lock was falling inside the entry door and the safty lock was not secure. Refer to my photos. It seemed to work ok but my wife would not have stayed here if she was with me on this trip.
The desk chair was ripped and did not stay upright.....I had to use one of the stationary chairs to catch up on my paperwork at the desk. The mattresses were old and lumpy although my room did appear clean overall. The room had an old fashioned in wall air conditioner that was off when I arrived and the room was uncomfortably warm. The air conditioner worked well and the room was cool in an hour or two. Note to hotel.....keep the a.c. running at a warmer setting so it cools faster or use smart thermostats that are programmed to cool when the room is reserved or checked into. The fourth floor icemaker doesn't work.

The breakfast experience......I did not book expecting free breakfast so I was minimally disappointed. I mention it because other reviewers mentioned issues from back in February that are not taken care of. There is a waffle maker that can't make a waffle. It is dirty and worn. Replace it!!!! Other people have mentioned it before. The coating is worn off. No matter how clean it is or how much non stick spray you use the waffle is stuck completly and will only come out as crumbs. The eggs were old and dried out and the bacon appears it was microwaved. None was appealing. If the hotel cannot listen to the guests or provide a quality breakfast they should discontinue the breakfast service.

Finally my last tidbit. I have worked in the customer service industry for over 25 years and the staff commited the number one customer service no-no right at check in. After waiting for other guests to check in......two staff members were working the desk.....one fella was done with his guest and ignoring me, asked the young lady working with him to take care of me when she was done with her guest. Only then was I addressed to be told she would help me in a minute. It was time for him to leave as apparently he was covering someones shift. You never ignore your guests or pawn then off if you are free to handle them. It took about three minutes for the young lady to get me checked in. I think some customer service training may go a long way.

It would be unlikely that I would stay again or recommend to others unless some changes and improvements are made. It is too bad as this is a convienient location in my rather frequent travel through this area.

• Stayed: June 2013

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your review.it is reviews such as yours that help us improve the hotel. Your points are well taken and I have met with the staff at both the front desk and the breakfast dept and went over your comments with them.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

Stayed there for one night. Wasn't as picky as such but it appreared to have all the amenities of a Hampton or Holiday Inn Express. Room was very good (with children) and air conditioner was consistently cool for a very hot day. Bathroom just fine. Most of the TV stations though were analog; reception not ideal.

Always look forward to a decent fitness room; here though, it needed maintenance. Half of the room has a deluxe mult-function weight machine - this was in good shape. Other half had cardio, not. Elliptical was noisy and bumpy - unusable, an otherwise decent treadmill's circuit breaker cut off at a higher but still normal running speed. Needed maintenance. Zero resistance on recumbant bike.

Breakfast was ok not great ; hard-boiled eggs (for us egg-white eaters), tasty omelet, cereal selection poor, only milk available 2%. Only fruit oranges.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your comments.I have the fitness repair man into to look at the issues you found.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

Stayed this hotel for a night. It is not 3.5 star hotel and it is 2.5 star hotel. But it is not that bad. It is good for a night stay but not vacation. Arrived late and didn't use much other facilities such as pool. I had no comments on these.
Pros:
1. good reception.
2. spacious room and other basic furniture.
3. non-smoking room had no smoking smell.
Cons:
1. bathroom is in pretty bad shape. sink was clogged.
2. window curtain is only one light layer and early morning the sunshine is on your bad.

Room Tip: avoid the rooms facing street and traffic noise noticeable.
Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

This is a place to sleep. It's not luxurious. The rooms were fine. The breakfast was disappointing but I guess I can't complain for free. Coffee was good. Check in was pleasant. Bed was hard as a rock.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

THE GOOD: We were attending a family wedding this past weekend on a nearby farm; I suppose the recommendation to stay here stems from the fact that they offered a shuttle to the farm and return for their guests. Our family occupied 4 rooms in the "Presidential" area for which there was an extra charge. Parking was close to our room. Front desk staff TRIED to be accommodating and were mostly pleasant. Room facing garden had nice view. Quiet . THE BAD & THE UGLY: Reservations were difficult to make (I kept documented emails); after two followup long distance phone calls from Canada, a couple of months prior to the wedding, I was finally able to find someone to make our reservation. It was complicated, but well done. On arrival ,one room required a complete rebedding - small hairs, stains on bedsheets, bobby pins and earplug on floor.. The room had obviously not been cleaned and another staff was required to perform this change. The manager acknowleged on checkout that they were having housekeeping issues, had just fired staff and it's very difficult to find good housekeeping staff in that area; actually, she mentioned the housekeeper for that room had been fired the day before. Requested extra blanket for child in cot - not available because hotel was full. Had to use comforter which didn't have a covering. 2nd room - although the hotel is advertised as having non-smoking rooms, this room reaked of smoke (baby was sleeping there). I reported this to the front desk and invited someone to come and "smell" for themselves; no one took the trouble to check this out. There was a water bottle with butts in it just outside the sliding doors, so it was obvious that there were smokers in that room. Couldn't change rooms because hotel was full. and we couldn't change between us because of the bed configurations. My DIL said when they arrived back in Toronto, all of their luggage, the pack and play, etc. reeked of smoke and they were quite upset. 3rd room - perfect. 2nd & 3rd room did not get cleaned after the 1st night, nor were fresh towlels provided because of the problem with the housekeeper mentioned above. Breakfast: adequate, although on the 2nd morning the waffle iron had burnt-on waffle mixture and when we asked the staff to clean it so that our grandchildren could make waffles, they said that they were cleaning up from breakfast because it was only served until a certain time. Coffee was delicious.

The inn is privately owned, and obviously the cache of an "Inn and spa" would attract guests. There appears to be a theme of staff doing "double duty" - i.e. maintenance man does shuttle driving, front desk staff do housekeeping. I don't often write bad reviews, but I have to say we were more than disappointed. This was the worst stay we have ever experienced away from home. When I approached the front desk to speak with the manager on checkout, the desk clerk said the manager was away for a couple of days and she didn't have the authority to adjust the bill. I asked her to find "someone" to speak with before we left, and she "managed" to find a manager on call who was very sympathic and told us about their housekeeping issues, but I should have been more insistent that they further reduce the bill, had I known that were in in for more disappointment, after our breakfast situation and the lingering smoke on clothing and luggage. I can deal with inconsistencies and lack of amenities, that can happen anwhere, but when it comes to cleanliness, there's zero tolerance for unclean facilities especially in a hotel that charges comparable or higher rates that other local hotels with the same star rating. While at the front desk, I overheard another guest who stayed in the main part of the building, register their complaint of not having their room cleaned after the first night as well.

As one poster mentioned, there's a really strong chemical odour in the hallways although it doesn't permeate into the rooms, We stayed in the "presidential" rooms at the back, some of which backed onto a lovely garden. When I tried to navigate to the main building, there was no connection and an outdoor walk was required. I actually lost my way enroute and ended up on the 2nd floor of that section; the hallways there REALLY had a very strong smoke odour. As well, there was no housekeeping both days we were there in the common areas, witnessed by outdoor debris on the carpeting. All in all, a really poor excuse for a hotel & spa no less. There are other chain hotels down the street - save your $$ and stay there.

1  Thank glory7
Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

Made reservation months in advance. Did not have confirmed room on arrival after a very long day of travel. Room wr were given smellled like cigarettes. Desk clerk was not helpful so we left and went to the Hampton Inn down the street.

1  Thank Mradin
Days Inn Scranton PA
Days Inn Scranton PA
#8 of 10 in Scranton
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Dickson City/Scranton

Been to Nichols Village Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!