“Very nice stay”

Nichols Village Hotel & Spa
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Clarks Summit
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We were able to get a room for $74 by booking through hotwire.com. We had not heard of this hotel nor did any pre research on it, and I was very pleased with the outcome. The rooms are very nice and the hotel overall is very clean. The staff at the front desk were awesome and the continental breakfast in the morning is great with lots of choices.

The only thing I have to complain about though is the noise that sounded like a party going on above my room. It eventually stopped around 10pm thankfully, I'm not sure if it was another guest having a party or if they had some kind of event going on.

Also, like another reviewer posted on here, the security is not very good. All the emergency exit doors that I saw were not locked and one was even wide open. It would not be very hard for someone to enter the hotel through an unlocked back door.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Nichols Village Hotel & Spa

Reviewed January 14, 2013

My wife, 2 kids and I stayed here for a night while on the road. I got a ridiculous price on Priceline and wa it ever worth it. The rooms are all newly renovated and are really nice and very big. The bathrooms are still outdated but they were clean and had "fancier" toiletries. We got there at around 2 am and the guy at the front, Jason, was extremely accommodating and very friendly. I've encountered indifferent staff at previous stays at other hotels when they see it's a Priceline booking, The breakfast was delicious and the staff there was also extremely friendly and helpful. We keep kosher and there was one person in particular who went above and beyond to see what items had kosher symbols. I wish I knew her name.... The pool area was odd - no tables or chairs set up and the water in the pool was so still it looked like the pool wasn't open. We called and were told it was ok to swim. The water was nice but the depth goes from 5 feet to 8.5 feet and isn't so safe for kids. The wifi was a little spotty.

I read some reviews about the parking but I didn't see any problems. I did get a spot in front so maybe that lot is better. Also, no train noise, but again, a room in the front so I don't know if those are better.

Overall it was a great experience and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We travel to visit family in Scranton for Christmas every year, staying at Nichols Village this year 12/23-25. Our GPS took took us about a mile the wrong direction but after reading the address numbers on buildings we found our way to the hotel.

The front desk and the housekeeping staff were very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was very basic but we all found something to eat both mornings. We were traveling with our 2 year old twins and we loved the generous size of the rooms, they had a lot of room to run around and play. The rooms looked updated but the bathroom looked very dated with some rust around the fixtures. Both the room and bathroom were very clean.

Our only disappointment was the pool, it was freezing cold and there were tables with very dirty table cloths in the pool area. I wouldn't even get near the freezing water but my husband braved it to take the girls in. They were shivering and didn't last long, it was super disappointing.

Other than the pool, we had a really nice stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Robert12084, General Manager at Nichols Village Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.It is only thru responses such as yours that we are able to determine our guests concerns.I was happy that you enjoyed most of your stay.I have looked into the pool water temp.We were unable to have a repairman come over Christmas,but the situation is fixed now

Reviewed November 15, 2012

I stayed here for a business trip in Nov 2012. The price can't be beat, the staff was polite and freindly, and my room was generally clean, if you didn't look at the mildew in the grout in the shower. It smelled STRONGLY of perfumed air freshener, which always concerns me - what are they trying to cover up?

The hotel is oddly located almost underneath a VERY HIGH interstate overpass/bridge. There is a train track behind the hotel (right outside my room in Chestnut) and the night trains woke me up a couple times, as did groups of people smoking cigarettes and talking loudly just outside the rear entrance. The parking lot is in bad shape, as another reviewer noted, especially around the back.

But my biggest complaint was the lack of security. The outside doors on the back of the hotel did not lock or require a room key for entrance. The interior door into Chestnut building had a lock, but it didn't work, so the door could just be pushed open. My room door did not swing shut or latch readily, so I had to make a conscious effort to pull it tightly closed behind me (and I noticed several other rooms with doors that were slightly ajar, so I don't think mine was the only one). I am a single female and I generally travel alone, and security is VERY important to me. It was difficult to relax and feel comfortable, knowing anyone could wander into the building through the back doors.

The Italian restaurant Bazil next door was wonderful. Dinner there was absolutely delightful.

I like the idea of patronizing local establishments over large impersonal chains, but this place was a disappointment. Apparently, it has recently changed owners after many, many years with the same family running it. Hopefully the new owner will invest in security. I will not be staying here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank bhspath
Reviewed November 8, 2012

My wife and I loved staying at the Nichols Village Hotel & Spa. We spent two nights and we really relaxed. Our daughter attends a college near by and it made for a nice weekend. Breakfast was very good but the young lady taking care of the area made have been a little over worked. She needed some help due to the amount of people needing to be served.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Sixburg

Thank you for your comments.I am glad you enjoyed your stay and hope your daughter enjoys here college years

Reviewed November 7, 2012 via mobile

I was pleased with this hotel... Don't listen to your GPS though!!! On I-81 take exit 194 and follow Clark Summit signs... The hotel is right in front of Burger King....

Very courteous customer service (Althought all clerk's question seem to take forever since it was late and I was exhausted...).

Very comfortable bed, nice flat screen tv and good size small fridge...

The Internet is not the best and was hard to get on it... Maybe I was too far from their wifi router???

Pretty basic breakfast with all necessary items: yogurt, oatmeal, cereals, hard boiled eggs, coffee, waffle and pastries... I've seen better but also a lot worst!!!

Bazil restaurant next door... I was to late to visit but seem really nice Althought quite pricey looking at their menu in the room.... However, make sure to show them your room key to get 10% off on your meal (as per the hotel clerk).

Laundry facilities, indoor pool and fitness center in other building (go on 3rd floor, take the bridge and go down to 2nd floor for fitness or laundry... Pool is on 3rd floor...)

This must be a great place for massage or spa but didn't have time to explore these options...

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank benoitleblanc

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review.I am glad you enjoyed your stay.The bazil restaurant is very good.We di have a full service spa on property and the massages are very good

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Stayed in the hotel on Friday, October 19. Arrived in a driving rain storm, pulled up to the lobby and was the third person in line to check in. The front desk person was kind but extremely understaffed. It took over 15 minutes to check in, while she checked in three rooms, took two calls from guest rooms. I got my room keys and was sent to the Chestnut building. Pulled around to the back, and we got out in the seperate lot. The conditions of the pavement are dangerous, in the rain, you couldn't see the potholes. My two year old fell, and at 10:30 at night was now crying and soaking wet.

We made it into the room, which was fairly clean, although the tiles have a large build up of mildew. Got to sleep and we were ok. On Saturday morning, went to the breakfast area. The man who was stocking the food said it was his first time doing this. We wanted more waffle mix, and he said he didn't know where that was. The coffee was also dry, the woman from the front desk took control and filled it.

Was very excited when I saw the trip advisor award on arrival, I trust the hotel when I see that, I assume the breakfast was a one off. The parking lot needs attention, its dangerous in the rain. You can't see whats a puddle vs pavement vs the mulched area.

Room Tip: Up front if possble
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Days Inn Scranton PA
Days Inn Scranton PA
#8 of 10 in Scranton
Hilton Scranton & Conference Center

Been to Nichols Village Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!