“Super convention spot” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Clarks Summit
olyphant , pa
“Super convention spot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2011

Just attended a convention at this hotel and it was the best. The staff was top notch in meeting our needs. Jen and Frank were meticulous with the dining rooms. Meals were served quickly . This was the best banquet food ever! The owner was very hands on in making us comfortable. Check in and out was quick. The staff was like a new group of friends. Clean rooms. Good internet. Not one lady in our group was disappointed by this hotel...and we can be a tough group. We look forward to going here again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Massapequa, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2011

The hotel is nice on the outside, and well taken care of, but once you get away from the lobby you notice it's been awhile since it was renovated (or built). Pink hallways, painted over signs and fixtures, old doors, etc. Inside the room they have updated all the easy items, new flat panel t, shower head, shower curtain, but there is a decent amount of mold in the shower/bath, the drain was clogged, old fixtures and furniture, but I would stay here again for the price and connivence.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
WV
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2010

On the surface the hotel wasn't a bad deal. We stayed for $59.00/night with coupons picked up at a rest area on the highway. That's a pretty good deal these days. However, as I was getting ready to go to bed I noticed hair on the inside of the comforter. As I looked further I notice a pubic hair, eyelash, head hair, etc. At 11pm, I decided to just throw on clothes and sleep in my bed since I was tired and didn't want to waste time having someone change the sheets. The fitness room consisted of two poor machines in one of the old hotel rooms. The business center only had one computer, which was always busy, so I never got to you use it. The continental breakfast was also in a converted hotel room, and it was packed with little room to move around. My coffee pot also almost overflowed in the morning. That could have been my own fault, not sure though. The bathtub didn't drain well, and I took part of my shower in ankle deep water. The coffee in the main entrance and in the rooms was pretty poor as well. This hotel wasn't a bad deal, but just thought I'd let others know of my experience that could have been better.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank guitardeek
Franklin, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2010

Found a "hospitality fee + tax" on our bill...3 employees including the manager stumbled to explain what is was for and very quickly credited my account...even with probing as to what the charge was for all they could say was that "it was a mistake"...if you stay here WATCH OUT and double check your bill!!!!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2010

This hotel is clean, quiet and the staff are friendly and the rates are very reasonable. The room was quite spacious but nothing fancy. We would have preferred queen-sized beds but the five of us fit fine in the room. My kids had a great time in the indoor pool but it was in an oppressively hot building. A nice continental breakfast, including homemade waffles, was included and coffee/tea were free in the lobby 24 hours. The hotel is conveniently located close to the interstate and near a big grocery store, gas stations and several restaurants and fast food outlets. It was a fine place to stay on our way through Pennsylvania.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank catheroo010
NJ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2010

We stayed here one night after a ski trip to Elk. This is an older hotel, and although they have made some efforts to update, it still seems old and dated. Our room was large, with 2 double beds, a ‘fridge and microwave. The bathroom was older, had some mildew stains (particularly under the faucet in the tub), and a noisy air duct. There is a nice large heated (and warm) indoor pool, but no spa. The workout room is tiny, with one working treadmill and one broken recumbent bike. Breakfast in the “hospitality room” consisted of toast, packaged tasty cake pastries, cereals, and a waffle maker. There was no yogurt, eggs or cheese, and the area was indeed overseen by the woman aptly described by Snobag. We found dining choices limited in Clarks Summit, and we ate at the Friendly’s across the street. Overall, an OK experience for $90/night, but I prefer the newer Holiday Express New Milford for ski trips to Elk.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Rochester NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2010

My wife and I stayed here on 23 December 2009; our rate with tax was $109.00 for a king bed.

While we have stayed in several motels and hotels in the greater Scranton area, this one has traditionally been the one to which we return. We have stayed here at least four times.

We have stayed here in winter and summer. It appears to be family friendly--there's an indoor pool--but I have seen adult travelers too.

There is free and fast wi-fi.

The attached restaurant keeps very infrequent hours: it seems to be run for meeting and events for the most part. There is a Damon's Steak House next door, which gets a lot of local business. If you drive north on Northern, as you approach Clarks Summit proper, there are a variety of restaurants to choose from--and not all chains.

As some reviews have noted, the breakfast room _is_ on the second floor of the hotel, at the end of the corridor in what appears to be a regular room. It is a little unusual, but it is a large space, well maintained. The choices are fairly fresh and pretty broad (cereal, eggs, waffles, etc.). I don't know what it would be like to have a room near that area.

This last trip was like all the others, facility-wise, perfectly fine. But, for the first time, the staff seemed a little inhospitable, really. And it seemed a little like the they were all a little over-Fox-Newsed or something.

At check-out the front desk woman responded rather tersely with a "Merry Christmas" to our "Happy Holidays." (I'm sorry, not everyone I know is Christian, and I can't tell just by looking at you; I try to be polite.) And let me tell you, her previously pleasant demeanor changed. That was nice.

There was another unpleasant moment while we were in the breakfast room, alone as a couple, reading and eating--not even talking, really, to one another, and not watching the large TV showing the cable news. The breakfast attendant, a woman in her forties or a little older, started talking (really, really loudly) about what was on the television--CNN's coverage of the big health care bill--and how it was bad for America. Again, it isn't that I haven't been in that room before, and we have had nominally pleasant conversations with the staff, too. But it was just weird, borderline rude, and really forced on us.

As we stayed only one night, and only dealt with the staff three times (check-in, breakfast, check-out), I can't say the service was pleasant or hospitable. It was competent, though. And this is the first time the staff was this odd.

Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
#5 of 6 in Clarks Summit
Fairfield Inn Scranton
Fairfield Inn Scranton
#5 of 10 in Scranton

Been to Ramada Clarks Summit Near Scranton? Share your experiences!