“FOR WORKERS ONLY”
Review of Comfort Inn

Comfort Inn
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Clarks Summit
Reviewed November 1, 2009

Stayed here one night on the way back from Virginia. Would not stay again. The afternoon front desk man had an attitude problem. If you had a room at the front of the hotel it would probably be very noisy. The bathroom had the vanity outside the bathroom door which was good but then the toilet was in a very small room with the tub. Restaurants seemed to be across the road which was very busy and not the easiest to get across.

The room was clean and the morning staff were friendly.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Comfort Inn

Reviewed October 25, 2009

We usually stay at another hotel of the Choice Hotel's Chain just down the road when visiting our daughter who lives in the Scranton area. Unfortunately I procrastinated too long when making the reservation and they only had smoking rooms left for the Columbus Day weekend. Thus I used the Choice Hotels website to book a room at the Comfort Inn. I had sufficient rewards points to get my first night free and paid roughly $84 for the second night. The only non smoking room that they had left was with just one double bed, but again I waited until the last minute. It was a holiday weekend.

Upon arrival the cerk noted that the hotel would be filled to capacity as there was a marathon in Scanton that weekend. After check in we found that our room not only looked clean, but smelled clean with no odor of stale cigarette smoke that you sometimes get in a so called non-smoking room. The carpeting was okay, but it might be ready for a good steam cleaning. The furnishings appeared to be up to date with a nice easy chair and pole lamp for reading along with a desk and executive chair in addition to the bed. There was plenty of closet space.

The complimentary breakfast consisted of several flavors of coffee, two kinds of juice, cold milk, several kinds of cold cereal, a big bowl of fresh fruit, a variety of commercial bagels, breads, and English muffins for toasting along with assorted jellies, butter, and cream cheese. There were some commercial pasteries and what appeared to be frozen scrambled eggs which could be microwaved. They also have some terrific make your own wafflles. I am not sure what else some folks expect from a continental breakfast in an economy motel. There are only four small tables and sixteen chairs in the lobby for breakfast, but we found that they turned over quickly despite the fact that the hotel had been sold out for the night.

This is a decent ecoomy hotel. You can spend way more elsewhere, but you can get a good night's stay here.

Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 14, 2009

The hotel is absolutely filthy. In all my years of travel I have never encountered such a stained carpet. The window have not been cleaned in years and the entire hotel has an odor. The breakfast is inadequate. We could not sleep due to the noisy air-conditioner.
Quite honestly, we checked out first thing in the morning. I have recently stayed at the Comfort Inn in both West Palm Beach and Dallas. They were clean and I would recommend both. This hotel is giving the chain a bad name. Absolutely terrible.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 2, 2009

My husband and I checked into this Comfort Inn in April, 2009. The Lobby was filthy, the elevator was even dirtier and then we got to the room. The bedspread was discusting and there was black mold all around the tub. We did not stay. Worst Comfort Inn I have ever seen.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2008

Well the good aspects of the hotel were that we got there late, and got the very last room available, and were given a discount. It was still fairly expensive. I don't believe the place had an elevator, and while I did not notice anything, my father said the room had a very musty smell. Also, he said there were what he believe to be flakes of skin in his bed, my bed was clean and very comfortable though. Not a bad place for a one night visit, and if I was travelling through clarks summit again late I would consider it. But I would not plan a trip in which I stayed there.

• Stayed: October 2008
2  Thank sdothbc
Reviewed June 30, 2008

A very poor in quality hotel. I was booked in a non-smoking room which I came to discover was one of only four non-smoking rooms on a hallway. Thus the smoke smell was not only bad on the hallway, but had drifted into my non-smoking room as well. (In addition, I believe that this particular room was at one time a 'smoking room' as there were cigarette package wrappers in the drawer of the nightstand.)

In addition, the cleanliness of the bathroom was poor as well. There was dirt in the floors' corners - to include hairs - and when taking a shower, I noticed mold in the shower.

'Breakfast' in the morning - although something I consider only as a 'bonus' to my stay and not a reason for staying at a particular location, was very limited. Two choices in cereal; very small muffins and bagels ('store bought' in appearance) and very limited seating. On the Sunday morning that I was at the hotel, people were standing-up while eating.

This hotel is located very conveniently off of I-81 and there are other hotels at this exit. If you stop at this exit, check them out first.

Also, the Wilkes-Barre and Scranton areas have many, many hotel choices. You'll be happier if you find something else.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank Chip_Pacer
Reviewed June 29, 2008

We stayed at the Clarks Summit Comfort Inn one night in June 2008; our room was a non-smoking king on the second floor, facing the rear. We chose the hotel on the basis of positive TA reviews and, while we had no real complaints, it seemed less than what we expected in several ways . We use the Choice Hotels chain (Comfort, Quality, Sleep Inn, Clarion, etc.) in many eastern states fairly often.
The room was moderate in size, clean and quiet. The furnishings were in good condition. There is a parking area and a wooded hillside behind the hotel. The front side faces a busy local route, but is reasonably well set back from it. The bathroom contained the tub and toilet, with the sink across from the bath door, in the room. The caulking around the tub and a few ceiling tiles were discolored by mold . The bathroom had no ventilation that we could see. The room air unit didn't seem to have any outside air ventilation option fand the window didn't open.
The selection offered for breakfast (waffles, cereal, juice, coffee, bagels & tiny muffins) was, in our experience, below par for the Comfort chain. The breakfast area consisted of four small tables at the side of the lobby and was inadequate for the guest traffic on the day we stayed there. We took our breakfast to the room, as did others we saw.
The hotel is convenient to I-81 and the NE extension of the PA turnpike. There are numerous eateries and gas stations nearby, making it an easy stop.
We would probably check out other options if we needed to stay in the area again, but would stay here again if nothing else looked better.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
#4 of 6 in Clarks Summit
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#4 of 10 in Scranton

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!