“Nasty! Wish I would have read the other reviews!”
Review of Comfort Inn

Comfort Inn
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Clarks Summit
Reviewed August 24, 2011

We booked this hotel online, however, we did not take the time to read reviews. We simply looked at the online pictures and found that the price was affordable. Well, those pictures must have been Photo Shopped and you get what you paid for!

On the positive side, the staff was very friendly and courteous. They were some of the nicest people in Clarks Summitt. And, though the breakfast was small and the eating area even smaller, the food was good. That ends the positives.

The outside could best be described as dumpy and dirty. Upon entering the hallway to the elevator, you were greeted by a sickening smell of lemon pledge combined with 3-in-1 oil. The smell got stronger as you went up, almost to the point of nausea.

When we entered the room, it was a disappointment. Mold was on the ceiling above the window, perhaps from a leaky AC unit on the floor above. The bathroom had crud in the corners. The room smelled stale. And, when we left, I always check under the bed to make sure nothing is left behind. I found a beer bottle cap, swizzle stick, and a few other items, indicating that this room was NOT cleaned from previous occupants.

Our room was on the 3rd floor -- non smoking. However, in the middle of the night, we smelled cigarrette smoke. The management said it must be coming from the 4th floor (only smoking floor) through the bathroom vent.

We checked in on a Friday. Immediately, I started calling other area hotels to make a reservation for the remainder of our stay. Of course, all other hotels were booked and we were stuck.

I sure wish that I had found this website and read the reviews prior to our trip. This was a lesson learned and I hope that others will read this and not make the same mistake I did!

Room Tip: If you are looking at this hotel, keep looking! Don't settle!
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank JWilliam0316

Reviewed August 2, 2011

This Comfort Inn is good for an overnight stop, not a long vacation. Clarks Summit is a busy area at the junction of I-81 and I-476, the turnpike. The motel is good, not great. But for a good sleep, a shower, and breakfast, which you need while traveling. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 9, 2011

We booked this hotel as it was on the recommended list from the camp my children are attending for the next two weeks.

We immediately noticed that the lobby/dining area was quite small (only 3 or 4 tables along the wall) and that the property had an unpleasant odor but the young man at the counter was very polite so I was willing to overlook it. BAD decision.

Upon entering the elevator (which was terribly small as noted in another review) the odor got worse and when we entered our room it smelled like a cat's litter box.

I usually check our hotels for mildew, bedbugs, etc and this time was no different. Thank God I looked. Within 5 minutes of checking in we were out of the room! I found roaming bedbugs on the mattress and told everyone to get out of the room immediately. This is a very current review as we just left this hotel and are now checked in across the street at a hotel with very good reviews . Thank you Tripadvisor!

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank Flmof3
Reviewed May 21, 2011

I found the hotel to be alright; just below average for the hotel and for the price paid. Though to be fair, most other hotels in the area charge more. The hotel could use renovation. There was free wireless (mandatory in my book) and breakfast in the morning, which was fine. Just, average.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed December 30, 2010

It was snowing and we needed to get off the road. I used the choice privileges website to book this hotel. It was pricier than we had hoped. For the price we paid, we thought there'd be more in the way of ammenities, i.e. an indoor pool but there wasn't. The room was small, but clean (I always check under the mattress.) Breakfast was fine, but it was crowded and the line for the waffle maker was too long so it was bagels and cream cheese for me. We've stayed in other Comfort Inns and this on just didn't measure up to what we've come to expect..

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank ADKphotobug
Reviewed December 30, 2010

Pulled off the highway in a snowstorm. Pulled into the first hotel on the left. Big mistake, should have gone to the Ramada across the road or the Hampton Inn further up on the right. Should have listened to my gut while I was standing in the lobby, but didn't want to get back in the car and drive again.

The lobby and hallways were shabby. The room felt old and tired. I requested a ground floor room. Granted the clerk did recommend a second floor room, he said the ground room's floors were on the cool side. That would have been ok, but the rugs were actually wet with dampness. When we went to put our bag down on the table we discovered it was covered with a large sticky spill of what looked like jam. For $70/night, I do not think I should have to clean the room myself.

I inspected the mattress and bedding before we brought our bags in. We did not have a problem with bed bugs as the previous poster had, but I would never risk this hotel again having read that. With the state that the property was kept, I would not expect that they would properly deal with such a problem, should it arise.

As a result of this stay, I will never stay in a Comfort Inn again if this is how their properties are kept up. This property was not worth the price. It should be more in the 35-50 dollar range.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank GoTravelDame
Reviewed November 23, 2010

DISGUSTING!! BEDBUG INFESTATION! BEWARE. The room was dirty, we woke in the middle of the night to bedbugs all over the bed, quickly showered and left, having to sleep in our car in 20 degree weather. The woman at the front desk seemed to think this is a common problem and would "leave the manager a note". After many email attempts and four attempts to call Customer Relations, Choice Privileges wanted to know ...:"what do you want US to do?". WE WILL NEVER USE THIS CHAIN OF HOTELS AGAIN. BEWARE!!!!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Sleep Inn & Suites Scranton Dunmore
Econo Lodge Clarks Summit
Econo Lodge Clarks Summit
#4 of 6 in Clarks Summit

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!