“Great place to stay!”

Tara - A Country Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Clark B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 26, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for our anniversary weekend. Everything about Tara was amazing. We were greeted and given a small tour of the inn and shown to our room, where we had champagne, cheese, crackers and a personalize cookie awaiting. Our room, Belle's had a very comfortable bed and to soak in the sunken tub was a great way to end a busy day exploring. We ate at Ashley's our first night, also our anniversary, and the meal and the wine were very good. We chose to eat at Stonewall's on our second night and were again not disappointed by the quality, and definitely not the quantity, of food. Every time any of the staff at the Inn or the restuarant's saw us the always knew our name and never failed to again wish us a happy anniversary. The rooms are a little pricey but you do get a discount if you stay more than one night in the same room. Since this also includes breakfast and dinner you really don't have to worry about eating expenses while you are there. The afternoon tea and social hour were nice. The tour of the Inn was very informative and gives you an appreciation for just how much the owners have put in the making Tara a great place to visit.

Room Tip: We stayed in Belle's and this was a nice room on the second floor level. Bed was a nice king si...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank luvalaska

Reviewed October 12, 2011

My husband and I were golfing in the area over the weekend, and booked at Tara Inn for dinner to celebrate our 35th anniversary. After being seated we waited quite a while to be served. My husband asked for the wine list, and the waitress brought him their fine wines list. A while later she returned and he ordered a nice 2001 wine. She then brought the bottle which was a 2006. My husband rejected it since he was told the price was the same as it would have been for the 2001. The list came back, he ordered something else, also a 2001. Again, that year was not available and a 2006 was offered. Rather exasperated by this time, since we had been there for a considerable time, he gave another option. The waitress arrived – again after some time - with our first course this time, and the news that this new selection could not be found and someone was looking for it! We had now been there nearly an hour! Since we enjoy having a nice wine with our dinner, and there was no sign of anything we ordered being actually available, we decided to leave.

Not one of the wines we ordered was as listed, and yet we were told that we would be charged the price of the more mature wines. This process should not have left us sitting so long with a goblet of water and (after considerable time) a bun. If the wine list had been limited, or if the waitress had told us that certain wines were not available and offered alternatives, we would have chosen something we could have enjoyed – but the serial misleading descriptions caused the real annoyance. Also, there was no senior staff member or manager on site to resolve the problem.

I wrote to the Inn's general manager to advise her of our experience, and received a curt response, in a somewhat lecturing tone, advising that there is a statement at the beginning of the wine list saying we should check the vintages, and their prices conformed to those charged by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania - rather heady responsibilities for customers to have to absorb. All we wanted was a nice bottle of wine with dinner. We don't expect to have to read instructions in a wine list, and feel the wait staff should be informed and able to advise us if their wine list is so out of date. The manager's lack of customer relations is a reflection of the service we received.

It was a disappointing way to spend our anniversary, and we certainly do not recommend this as a place to celebrate anything.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Jill P
Reviewed September 25, 2011

This trip was a total surprise for my wife. The view from the main walkway is breathtaking and being greeted by a Southern Belle (and dressed as such) was a very nice touch. We were given a brief tour and then taken to our room. To my delight...the room (Heart of the South) could not have been more perfect. The welcoming platter was a delightful touch (cheese, crackers, champagne and a custom made cookie). After settling in we had dinner at the Stonewall (this is the restaurant within the Inn) which was magnificant (to say the least). The portions were more than we could finish and dessert was more than we could start. We were taken care of by good ole fashioned Southern Hospitality which meant 'anything you need Mr. and Mrs. Ruby' was heard quite often. Yes, the bathroom was a bit small...but seriously...how much time are you going to spend on the toilet or in the shower? The grounds are very well taken care of and the little critters everywhere were a pleasant surprise! The only thing I will say is that kids are probably not a good idea as there are many breakables and lots of hardwood floors. All in all...it was a wonderful weekend and I recommend it highly. If you plan to visit...our serves Debbie McNamara and Susan were very attentive to our needs. The Inn is older with squeeky doors and creeky floors but that ads to the charm. Please don't let the negative reviews turn you away. You will not regret your decision to stay at Tara.

Room Tip: If you're concerned about squeaky floors...get a room on the top floor!
2  Thank cdrbx42
Reviewed September 23, 2011

My sister had her wedding reception at Tara. The staff was nice, and everyone had a good time. The grounds are beautiful and they are well-maintained. The house is kinda like a mix between a museum and a b&b. Lots of breakables everywhere, narrow and twisting corridors, not easily handicap-accessible. (I would never stay here with a small child).

The staff said we would have the grounds completely to our party after 4:30 p.m. (our reception started at 4; another wedding in the gazebo at 4:00 was supposed to end shortly after 4:30, we were promised multiple times). Much to our dismay, the other wedding "decided at the last minute" to start their ceremony in the gazebo at 5:30 instead of 4:00. Like - the day-of the event. Seriously?!? So my sister couldn't even take pictures on the front steps of the building when there was light out because the other party was there, getting all the attention they wanted and all the pictures they wanted. This completely threw off the bride's and the photographer's ideas, but thankfully they worked around it. I considered this to be very unprofessional on the part of the staff to let that happen, though, especially when taking pictures in and around the gazebo and the front grounds area is sold so highly as part of the "Tara" wedding experience.

Additionally, though we were told that there would be place to store decorations on the day before the event, when we showed up, someone had to scramble to find places for our things. Then, to top it all off, my mother noticed that some of OUR reception decorations (candles, ribbon) that were missing from our supplies were being used at the OTHER wedding in the gazebo!! (Granted, I guess we could have individually labeled everything, but we thought that having them in bags/boxes was enough!!).

Overall, it's a nice place for a wedding reception. But watch out for the sideline issues, and don't take little kids and/or handicapped folks into the house.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank joesgirl1230
Reviewed September 23, 2011

When I pulled in the driveway and saw the gardens and the front porch with the big white pillars I immediately thought of the movie Gone With the Wind. I enjoyed walking around the Inn looking at the common areas with things from the movie and the antique collection of the owners. Our welcome package with cheese, crackers, champagne, etc., was a really nice touch and I loved our bed in the Carpet Baggers Vacation Room. Dinner in the tavern was excellent and our waitress was one of the best out there. Breakfast the next morning was just as delightful and the waitress, again, was excellent. My only surprise was our bathroom...not much space and the shower stall was the smallest I've ever seen. The wonderful Inn, linens, bathrobes, Jacuzzi, food, waitresses, and grounds made up for the bathroom and I would highly recommend people to visit Tara. I will definitely go back.

1  Thank ohiobedandbreakfast
Reviewed September 16, 2011

we had a delightful stay at Tara . we enjoyed the outdoor , before we checked in. the Butlers room was beautiful with a brass king size bed and and antiques. The staff made u feel at home. Cant wait to go back

1  Thank abudd77
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Very nice place with fantastic food. They were very nice and the place is very cool. they have a lot old guns and rifles which is very cool.

1  Thank rbarsom

Been to Tara - A Country Inn? Share your experiences!