“Fell Below Expectations”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Chester
Carlsbad, California
“Fell Below Expectations”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2014

I found myself stranded in Philadelphia one evening, and the airline service offered me a choice of three hotels. I went with the Days Inn in Chester because they were the most affordable. Had I known what I was in for, I would have paid a few dollars more and gone somewhere else.

The shuttle service from the airport and back again in the morning was efficient. The driver was friendly and professional.

The hotel is located across the street from Widener University. I enjoyed the last bit of the transfer when we were passing through the attractive campus. However, as soon as we left the campus, it was clear we were in a part of town touched by urban decay. This is not a neighborhood in which you'll want to stroll around. Yet stroll I did; the hotel restaurant closes relatively early, and it seems I arrived too late for dinner and had to leave in the morning too early for breakfast. I inquired about restaurants in the area, and should have taken the hint when they offered me a selection of options for delivery. Although I found an Asian restaurant down the street with reasonably good food, it had no ambiance and there was no real pleasant scenery on the walk there.

Check-in and check-out were smooth. The vibe I got was that of being at a family-owned hotel, rather than an international chain. The hotel decor is in clear need of updating; although the building didn't look bad from the outside, inside things seem to be running to seed. The hall smelled markedly of pizza, and as I walked down the hall to my room I could hear televisions, music, and loud conversation coming from behind the closed doors.

I was tired and ready for bed, and was happy to find that my room was clean and neat. There was a refrigerator, a microwave, a coffeemaker, and free Internet, all of which I appreciate. I turned on the air conditioner, and was frustrated at how it worked. The drapes were arranged in such a way that the air conditioner would blow up the backsides of the drapes instead of into the room. I could open the drapes, of course--but then there I'd be, on display from the third floor of the hotel. I kept the drapes closed and hoped enough cool air would eventually find its way into the room (not really). I zonked out pretty quick on the comfortable bed, but had to wake up early in the morning.

I was frustrated by my whole morning experience in the bathroom. First, if you were looking straight down at the toilet from directly above, your view of the toilet would be obstructed by the granite counter top. That's right: to sit on the toilet, I had to put up with the edge of the counter digging into my left side. Really!? Second, both the sink and the bathtub were slow to drain. By the time I was done with my shower, I was standing up to my ankles in soap-scummy bath water. Ewww! Third, my bath towel was getting a bit threadbare. Meh. At least there was plenty of hot water.

After a smooth check-out and efficient ride to the airport, I was on my way--never more to return.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2014

so.. a delayed flight and missed connection landed me here.. the ceiling was failing, the pictures on the wall were essentially blow ups of the wall paper, at 9pm there is nowhere near to eat, mind you the madison grille down the street... will serve you drinks.. Only in emergency... dont volunteer

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chester
BEST WESTERN PLUS Philadelphia Airport South at Widener University
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Philadelphia Airport Ridley
Wyndham Garden Philadelphia Airport
Red Roof PLUS+ Philadelphia Airport
La Quinta Inn & Suites Philadelphia Airport
SpringHill Suites Philadelphia Airport/Ridley Park

Been to Days Inn Chester Philadelphia Airport? Share your experiences!