“Worst cleaning job I've ever seen”

Best Western Plus Philadelphia Airport South at Widener University
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Chester
New York
“Worst cleaning job I've ever seen”
Reviewed November 26, 2012

This is, verbatim, the email I wrote to the general manager of the hotel after my stay. I never received an answer.

I stayed at your hotel this past weekend with a group from Swarthmore College. I am writing to tell you that I have never seen as poor a job cleaning the room as I found this past Saturday. I returned to my room around 10 pm, and the first thing I noticed was the one towel that I left on the bathroom floor because it was dirty was still there, exactly where I left it. I noticed that the other towels which I had left on the racks were untouched. Usually, even given the environmental practice of not laundering towels that don't need to be laundered, they are at least nicely folded on the rack. I also noticed that the toilet paper holder was empty and had not been replenished. My first thought was that my room hadn't been cleaned at all. However, a look towards the bed found that it had in fact been made.

When I called down to the front desk to tell them that the cleaning person had not supplied any toilet paper, they said "oh, ok, you can just come down here to get some more". When greeted with silence on my end, they then said that they would have someone bring some up to me.

As far as I could tell, making the bed was the *only* task that had been done in the room. The ice bucket held melted ice, and the coffee cups I'd used were still scattered about the room. It wasn't until the next morning that I discovered that the coffee supplies had not been replenished, so I was unable to make coffee in the room in the time before the breakfast room opened.

It was, without a doubt, the worst cleaning job I have ever experienced.

On the plus side, the breakfast was typical for the type, and the ladies who work there were extremely pleasant.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank NewY0rkTraveler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Scranton
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Stayed here for one night last week. Hotel is very nice and clean. Rooms are modern well taken care of. Didn't try the breakfast though. Airport shuttle is very convenient. My only issue is the hotel itself is hard to identify as there are no exterior lighted signs. All in all a good value!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed October 12, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for one evening and were very happy with our choice! We used the airport shuttle which was extremely convienent. We didn't wait more than 5 minutes both times we were picked up at the airport. We didn't explore the neighborhood but the university was right across the street. We didn't come across anyone or anything unsavory in that regard.

The room was a lot larger and nicer than I expected. Also the bathroom was very large and had the shower only which I like. The breakfast is a basic continental breakfast, I had no complaints. The front desk staff and van drivers were very polite and professional

I've stayed in a few hotels in Philadelphia, always near the airport and this was almost as nice as the Courtyard and lightyears nicer than the Ramada and Holiday Inn. Honestly for the same price as other hotels in the aiport area, this is a great choice.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 4, 2012

The location of the hotel (if you can find it) is good..it's right near the Philly airport and Widener University..that being said, it's difficult to find it as it's located off the main road with only signs in windows with arrows to direct you...The parking lot is not labelled as being for the hotel and you might think that the lot was exclusive for the customers of the bank located in the complex.
The hotel has the typical continental breakfast with hot waffles and the staff in the breakfast room is lovely...but that's it.
We stayed for 2 nights and on the second day no one even attempted to enter my room, clean it, make the bed or change the towels..coming back after a wedding to an unmade room is totally unacceptable. The hotel was booked solid and the front desk clerk was not a very happy camper...the room was large and we lucked out by not being near any of the barking dogs in the other rooms (the hotel allows pets and the owners are "not supposed" to leave them unattended in the rooms). No bed bugs (as other hotels in Philly have), so that made me VERY HAPPY..the hotel overlooks a "7-11", so for convenience and location and size this hotel might be worth a stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from any known animal guests.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed July 23, 2012

This is a nice hotel. It is brand new. The rooms are large and very nice. We spent four nights so we feel we got a good sense of the quality of the hotel. The hotel staff was courteous and over all the hotel worked for us. BUT. The breakfast was not good. I can't imagine that the hotel was so nice and the owners would not spend a few extra dollars for a decent breakfast. They had the standard waffles and cereal. But our last day they had no bead and no waffle batter. What a shame. I don't think I'd go back.

Oh, one other thing. Don't drift out into the neighborhood around the hotel. It's rough.

Room Tip: Go to trip advisory first.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
WESTERN PA
Reviewed June 28, 2012

I was a little hesitant to make a reservation here because of the negative reviews regarding housekeeping and the 'neighborhood' in which the hotel is located. I looked around the area but could not find a more reasonably priced property with better reviews.First off, I arrived at 3pm and found the hotel easily - yes it borders an 'interesting' area, but I did not at all feel uneasy. (thanks to previous posters who described the parking situation). I was really impressed by how clean and spacious the room was - did the obligatory check for bed bugs and came up empty. Fell onto the bed to take a power nap and it was so comfortable I did not want to get back up. Bath area was especially clean as well - roomy shower area. (I also thought the area just inside the door with dedicated lighting and a full length mirror would have been ideal if I was traveling with more than my son - another dressing area away from the main area of the room). We left for a while in the evening and did not return til around midnight - again - aware of surroundings and I did not feel uneasy walking back into the hotel. The beds were very comfortable - one of my measures of a hotel is whether I can sleep passed 7am or not - 8am is pretty good for me away from home... The staff was very welcoming. Breakfast was ok - they were out of waffle mix - I found that interesting. Muffins, bagels, cereal and milk, fruit. If my son decides to attend Widener, I know that this will be the hotel of choice for me.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Florida
Reviewed June 20, 2012

The hotel room is nice enough, except for the large splotch of I don't want to know directly in the middle of the sheet folded right at the pillows. Actually it was really poorly vacuumed too. But the room itself was functional and appropriately furnished.

But the most important information you need about this hotel is that it is in a really lousy area. My wife would kill me if I ever made her stay here. If you have kids with you, go somewhere else.

On one hand, good for Best Western for stepping up and putting a hotel here. On the other hand, that good gesture doesn't absolve them from their duties as a hotel, first and foremost being the safety and security of its guests and their possessions. I arrived at dusk. A police car was in the parking lot. The cop left and within seconds, literally 20 seconds later, I was accosted by a filthy, belligerent homeless guy. I just walked by him into the hotel but I left behind me in the parking lot a nice shiny rental car. Of course, the homeless guy knows which car is mine and now I am wondering if the car will be safe for the night.

That this hotel was built without its own secure parking lot in a neighborhood like this baffles me. That this hotel does not hire a security guard to keep an eye on the parking lot and walkways baffles me. And forget about going somewhere in the neighborhood to eat. The only thing I saw nearby was the 7-11 that shares the same parking lot as the hotel, thus ensuring that a steady flow of vagrants and drunks will be walking through the parking lot where you enter and exit the hotel and where your car is parked.

I suppose if you have a Widener connecton you might want to stay here because the campus is across the street. But if you are looking for a hotel convenient to the airport or Philadelphia, go somewhere else. Go anywhere else.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank 739FL_traveler

Travelers are raving about these Chester hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chester
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Philadelphia Airport Ridley
La Quinta Inn & Suites Philadelphia Airport
SpringHill Suites Philadelphia Airport/Ridley Park
Wyndham Garden Philadelphia Airport
The Clarion Hotel and Conference Center
Red Roof PLUS+ Philadelphia Airport

Been to Best Western Plus Philadelphia Airport South at Widener University? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Best Western Plus Philadelphia Airport South at Widener University

Property: Best Western Plus Philadelphia Airport South at Widener University
Address: 1450 Providence Avenue, Chester, PA 19013-5715 (Formerly BEST WESTERN PLUS Philadelphia Airport South at Widener University)
Location: United States > Pennsylvania > Chester
Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Kitchenette Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Room Service Shuttle Bus service Suites Wheelchair access Airport Transportation
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Chester
Hotel Class:2.5 star — Best Western Plus Philadelphia Airport South at Widener University 2.5*
The Best Western Philadelphia Airport South at Widener University is the perfect hotel for your visit to Philadelphia and its suburbs. The hotel is located just minutes from Philadelphia International Airport, providing 24-hour Airport shuttle service. We are also located across from the campus of Widener University, and just minutes from Swarthmore College. Only 1 mile from Harrah's Casino and the closest hotel to PPL Park (Home of Major League Soccer's Philadelphia Union). The hotel provides complimentary 24-hour shuttle service, continental breakfast, free parking, free high speed wireless and wired internet access, daily newspapers and much more. Also featuring fitness and business centers. Stay at the newest, greenest, and most friendly Best Western hotel in the Philadelphia area! ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Best Western, Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Best Western Plus Philadelphia Airport South at Widener University reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Best Western Philadelphia Airport South At Widener University Hotel Chester