“Not a Very Comfortable Hotel”

Red Lion Inn & Suites- Chambersburg
Ranked #15 of 16 Hotels in Chambersburg
Singapore
“Not a Very Comfortable Hotel”
Reviewed July 8, 2014

Foul smell outside the hotel, rooms are quite small but generally well kept, clean and equipment are workable. Starbuck and some other fast food joints are within walking distance. Stayed on the ground level, privacy is lacking because curtain cannot be drawn fully closed. Offers poor WIFI and Old CRT TV.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kool123934
Four-Points-17201, General Manager at Red Lion Inn & Suites- Chambersburg, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of our property. I apologize that the outside had an odor upon your arrival. For future reference every room has a blackout blind in addition to the curtain, ensuring privacy for all hotel guests regardless of what floor you stay on.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Oxford, Connecticut
Reviewed July 1, 2014

This was for me an average on the road one night stay at Four Points by Sheraton Chambersburg, PA. I'm an SPG member and this stay was far from what I have experienced at other SPG brands, including the other Sheraton brand locations. Simply stated this was not the regular Sheraton experience I was expecting. Unlike the usual Sheraton superior time this location gave a tired old feeling about much of the decor. It appeared some updating had taken place but a lot remained to addressed to bring this venue to par. The room was clean but typical of what you might expect in other lesser brand motels. All in all it was acceptable but nothing special and it is likely that were I to return to the area I would consider another place.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Four-Points-17201, General Manager at Red Lion Inn & Suites- Chambersburg, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for telling us about your experience. We apologize that we did not meet your expectations as compared to other Starwood properties. We strive to make ensure that our guests have a comfortable stay and we hope that you will give our location another try on your return visit to the area.

USA
Reviewed July 1, 2014

We stayed in a one bedroom king suite. The bed (mattress and boxspring) seemed to be newer and were very comfortable. However, the room had a vomit type smell to it, and furnishings were outdated. I saw someone else comment about only having two towels, and that was the same for us, there were only two bath towels, two hand towels, and two wash clothes (there were four of us staying in the room). The hallways were very hot and stuffy, smelled musty, and the carpeting on the second floor hallway was "bubbling", old, and very worn. The hotel was full, and parking was also and issue, there were cars parked in "no parking" areas. Wireless was unreliable.
Breakfast was just ok. I only had a waffle that you make in those waffle irons that the hotels have these days. The eating area was very cramped and was basically the lobby of the hotel. This hotel is in DIRE NEED of a total renovation. I would NOT stay here again unless a renovation was done. I wish I would have taken some photos to add to my review.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing our facility for your recent stay in the area. We are glad that you enjoyed the bed in your room. We apologize about the smell in the room and we will have the maintenance team investigate this. Also, extra towels are always just a phone call away, the front desk would have promptly and pleasantly delivered extra towels to you. It is standard that a room with a king bed receive only 2 towels. There is always our overflow parking lot located across Walker Road from the hotel for hotel and restaurant guests alike. We wish that you will give our location another shot before trying another hotel in the area.

Management

Travelers are raving about these Chambersburg hotels

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 27, 2014

I stayed here recently with my fiance and we were pretty underwhelmed with this property. The check in process was pretty quick which was great. On the way to the room, I noticed a weird smell in the hallway, which I noted to my fiance, smelled like urine. Once we opened the door to our room, we both immediately noticed another unpleasant odor, which we could not place but it was smelled like chemicals. The room itself was nothing special. The chair in the room could be replaced, very old and the fabric on it has discolored with age. The tube TV could be updated. Some channels came in with weird wavy lines. The pillows in the room were flat as a pancake. I had brought a bathing suit with me since I knew the property had a pool. It was closed the day that we arrived, but we peeked in on the way to our room, and quickly decided, a dip in the pool would not be happening during our stay. The free wi-fi worked sporadically. This property is not the most horrible place I've ever stayed at, but is in dire need of a renovation.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for letting us know about your experience at our property. We apologize that we did not meet your expectations. Please know that extra pillows are always available via a call to the front desk. We apologize that the pool was closed upon arrival, but know that the pool is well maintained and after the maintenance was done you certainly could have taken advantage of the largest indoor pool. We are striving to provide better guest experiences and hope that you will try us again if in the area.

Management.
Pittsford, NY
Reviewed June 25, 2014

The room was clean, the bed was comfortable but overall the property was a little run down. It was not what I have come to expect when staying at a Four Points. They did have a fridge/microwave combo in the room that was a nice feature. The attached Ruby Tuesday restaurant was only open until 10 pm so I had to order to go. Skip the free breakfast. It was dreadful.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank your your review of your recent stay at our facility. We are please that you enjoyed the room and the micro/fridge combo. We apologize that you felt our facility itself was run down, also, that you did not enjoy the free breakfast. We strive to provide the best experience for all our guests and hope that they enjoy the breakfast. If you could elaborate on what in breakfast was not enjoyable we will be happy to remedy it.

Reviewed June 23, 2014

I've always been very lucky to book great hotels at great rates, thanks in part to doing research. I should have researched more.

My wife and I stayed here on our trip to Gettysburg. At first I thought it was good deal- hotel seemed nice and comfortable - until we got to our hallway. 3rd floor reeks of urine and of disinfectant. Usually I'm unfazed by such things so I tried to let it slide.

We went next door to the Ruby Tuesday, had a decent meal (no discount from being hotel guests - despite the hotel and the restaurant practically sharing a wall) and went to Gettysburg- straight shot down US30. We looked around, did a tour, and went to Walmart. Came back at 930 - and there were no Parking places. It was a Saturday night, but numerous people were parking where there were no lines. So we joined in, parking next to a rock wall around the rear of the hotel. No spaces - so we made our own. I called the front desk and a rude girl (whose name I will omit) told me to check Ruby Tuesday parking lot. I didn't pay this much to park so far from my room. And her attitude was awful. She hung up on me, so I needed to make a second call to get extra pillows- fyi- the pillows offer no support- you'd be better off bringing your own.

We did our Gettysburg thing on Sunday without incident- I was ready to let bygones be bygones, after all it seemed like such a "great deal". But then on Monday, we decided to skip part of the tour in Gettysburg, get up, get breakfast, and swim for a few hours. And of course, the pool was closed. When inquiring about the pool the front desk clerk , who had a tough time understanding me ( she seemed to be Middle/eastern European), informed me the pool would be closed all day.

Now, I realize just about anything could have happened, but the pool was a big deciding factor on where to stay-as there were a lot nicer hotels closer/in Gettysburg. Like to the tune of 20/30 dollars cheaper a night. But i wanted a pool, as it's a luxury we don't have at home. I read other reviews of the pool being closed all day for maintenance, but shook it off as a one time thing. I should have listened to my gut instinct.

So in summation, hallways smelled like urine, no where to park on a busy night, staff was overwhelmingly foreign, some of the staff was rude or just didn't care, pillows were Waaaay too soft, and the main attraction, for me anyway, wasn't availible when I really needed it to be.

The best part is the location- but there are cheaper hotels in Gettysburg. If you're looking for a deal, keep looking.

Overall- 2/5 stars: Poor.

• Stayed June 2014
Four-Points-17201, General Manager at Red Lion Inn & Suites- Chambersburg, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Dear Guest ,

Thank you for choosing to stay at our property during your recent trip to Gettysburg. We apologize that Ruby Tuesday does not offer discounts to hotel guests, but we are independently owned and operated as are they and therefore cannot make decisions in that matter for them. We are sorry that the pool was closed one day during your stay and hope that you had the opportunity to take advantage of the pool one of the other 3 days that you were here! Although we do have some European staff, they are all very hard working and personable staff members and are integral to the functioning of our property and we do not view them as a negative aspect to our guest experience. I have the maintenance team investigating the smell on third floor, and rest assured that this will be addressed and resolved.

Shelbyville, Indiana
Reviewed May 20, 2014

This was not the best place I have stayed, but it got the job done. The staff was very unfriendly, almost like we were bothering them from something more important. The older red-haired lady at the front desk was the most unpleasant of them all. The parking lot is very small, we had to park in the Ruby Tuesday's parking lot next to the hotel. At night, they lock the front door to the lobby so when you come back to your room after a full day and evening of sight seeing, you then have to park in a different lot then walk all the way around to the side door to get in. I have never been in a hotel that locks the front door at night with a hand written note that says that the lobby is closed. Again, I believe the staff doesn't want to be disturbed by the guests. Also, the TVs are 27 in. projection style, non-HD, and the WiFi was the worst I have ever seen.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Melissa N
Four-Points-17201, General Manager at Red Lion Inn & Suites- Chambersburg, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to tell us about your stay with us. I apologize about my staff and will address the issue with them. We are here to make our guests feel comfortable and have a friendly stay. The entire parking lot around the property including the Ruby Tuesday side is our parking lot. Also, we lock down the lobby at night for safety, and although it is locked it is still accessible to our guests by ringing the bell. There should have been a typed letter explaining this and I will follow up with my night staff to see that they are using the correct signage. I hope that this explanation puts you at ease.