“Good two weeks”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Chambersburg
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Chambersburg
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I just returned home after a two week work trip to Chambersburg. Six co-workers and I stayed at the Country Inn & Suites and were all very pleased with the hotel. The rooms were very comfortable and clean. They do not have room service and the only meal they offer is breakfast, but that was not an issue. We were doing work at Letterkenny Army Depot and had to be there at 6am every morning. We were fortunate enough to have Connie working the breakfast area almost every day. Even though the hotels set breakfast time was 6am on weekdays, Connie made sure she had most (if not all) the food out by around 5:30am. She was extremely kind and helpful, making sure we had everything we needed. She even gave us to-go snack bags on a couple days! I can’t thank her enough for her service, and all the guys are grateful as well.

I only had a few minor complaints. 1. There was no microwave in my room. The information stated that all rooms come with microwaves and mini fridges. This wasn’t really a big issue since they had a microwave in the conference room on the first floor (I was on the 2nd) that was always available when I needed it. 2. The laundry room was rather sad. You had one washer and one dryer for a three floor hotel. Granted, I imagine most people aren’t staying two weeks and probably don’t use the laundry, but when you are having to jockey for a spot between six guys it can get a little bothersome. 3. The biggest problem I had was several clean towels and wash cloths were put in my bathroom with very long black hair in them. I have short curly blonde hair, so it wasn’t mine. The last day there the shower curtain was even covered in them! It looked as if someone had laundered the shower curtain and towels with a lot of this hair. The towels weren’t a huge issue since it was just me in the room and there were four to choose from, but it was a little unnerving about the shower curtain.

Please don’t let those complaints overwhelm you though. This was a nice clean hotel with a friendly staff. We may have to return for more work in the next month or so and I will definitely try to stay at this hotel again.

Oh and don’t forget, FREE COOKIES! Haha

Room Tip: Second floor has no vending or ice machine. First floor stays pretty busy with all the coming and go...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
JesseRockwell, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Chambersburg, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property! I have shared your comments with our staff, including Connie who took such great care of you at breakfast. She was very excited to see her name mentioned!

We also will be adding Microwaves to all of our rooms (not just suites) in the near future.

We hope to see you again the next time you are in the area, thanks again!

Reviewed August 14, 2012

This hotel is great for stopping on long trips, right off 81 with major stores/restaurants nearby, yet it was very quiet, cozy, tucked back on a cul-de-sac parking lot with country-feeling next to a cornfield. We were SO glad to have the coffee and cookies (YUM! hungry teens) upon arrival after exhausting drive in thunderstorms and truck traffic on 81. Good stop mid-way in PA from upstate NY to VA or points south. Two standard rooms with nice decor, two beds were fine for two adults, two college-age children, and pet in cage in one room for fee. Large new tv, nice wing chair and desk, real closet. Small fridge good for water bottles. Found no microwaves in rooms, had to ask for a microwave brought to one room.
NO smoking was great, as was room location right near door for all luggage for a long trip. Felt very safe here. AAA rates were good, and free breakfast was nice. We were very tired from drive, and wished we had seen stores and restaurants right before hotel, rather than making right turn out of lot as there was construction delay on road and two not-great fast food places that way. Front desk sent us that way as we needed gas as well.
Only downside was main floor room in back looking out on nice view of cornfield felt extremely damp as it had been a day of soaking thunderstorms, making our trip difficult. The A/C unit did not remove dampness, the carpet by bathroom damp, and even all of bedding was damp, including heavy comforter; woke up with bad aches and and damp clothing.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for the great review! We are happy we met your needs, and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed July 28, 2012 via mobile

We stayed in a wheelchair accessible room. Very accessible but the drain in the shower was too high so the bathroom flooded. Also the room was freezing when we got there and the ac ws hard to adjust. There was a funky smell in the hotel and really bad in our room. The desk clerk was uncaring and barely responsive. WOULD NOT stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank jneen316
JesseRockwell, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Chambersburg, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2012

Thank you for your feedback. We certainly apologize for the issues you had with our hotel and would like to assure you that this is not the norm for our property. We take issues such as these seriously and our goal is to provide an exceptional experience for all of our guests.

Your comments will be used to fine tune our operations so that we can avoid these types of issues in the future. Please contact me personally if you would like to further discuss your stay.

Reviewed July 11, 2012

Nice and clean hotel with very friendly personal. The room were nice and clean with very comfortable beds. Very good breakfast. I can highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
JesseRockwell, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Chambersburg, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2012

Thank you for the awesome review! We take a lot of pride in delivering clean rooms, great service and an excellent breakfast. I will definitely let the staff know how happy you were with everything, and hopefully we see you again soon!

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Back to this hotel for an overnight stay on our way home from TN. Still a nice, clean, friendly hotel. We had a 1 bedroom suite - which was great! Breakfast was what you would expect, with bacon, eggs and some really good potatoes as well. Lots of restaurants and shopping in area.Little pricey (hence only four stars instead of five), but it was also the weekend of the big to-do in Gettysburg, plus some big softball tourny was in town.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

We are so glad you came back to visit us again! It's always nice to have repeat guests, and I am glad your stay was a good one! We continue to improve upon our breakfast, and will definitely share your comments with the staff.

Reviewed June 12, 2012

we were upgraded without additional charge to a king suite and slept like babies! the breakfast was better than the standard fare and the entire facility was SMOKE FREE. A few fresh cookies upon check in? YOU BET!
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Room Tip: getting a room by the stairwell (one of our favorite tricks for easy access) doesn't help at thi...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 16, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I will share your wonderful comments with the staff. Hopefully we see you again soon!

Reviewed June 4, 2012

I have stayed at Country Inn & Suites before and continue to stay because they have always been extremely clean and well maintained. But I don't know if I can say that much for this one. When we 1st go into the hotel we went to use the frig and realized that is was not cold. But it is just a frig and it wan not a necessity so we let it slide. Then we went to use the phone but to our surprise it was not plugged in an was a prop. Next we find a mystery remote in the pull out couch either left from a previous client or I don't even know! But all in all these were just small things so we said whatever and went on or way. Our mistake. WE headed back to Gettysburg and had dinner and drinks arriving back to the Hotel later. It was late when it was finally time to get into bed. I noticed that there were grease like spots on the top sheet but figured it was soap. But then I pulled the sheets back and there was black stains on the sheet on the bed. I defiantly did not want to sleep on that. So i call down and the guy at the desk gave me attitude. He did not believe me, then goes "and you realize this now". I wanted to scream at him. Like yes I realized this now. I did not know I should have inspected the bed for cleanliness before i went out for the evening. So then he just stutters and I asked "so does this mean there is nothing you can do?" to which he said "I can bring you new sheets." At the same time the people I were traveling with were headed outside and asked the guy if we could switch rooms given: the broken frig, phone and dirty sheets. He finally agreed and moved us. Still nothing to brag about in the new room, but the frig worked and the sheets looked clean.

There are about 7/8 other hotels in that area and my suggestion is to try one of them.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
JesseRockwell, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Chambersburg, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our property. We take pride in delivering exceptional service, clean rooms and a great experience as evidenced by our 2011 President's Award. I am extremely apologetic and embarrassed that you had these issues. I will address all of these issues with our team to ensure they do not happen again. We are here to delight our guests, and continue to receive accolades from not only our guests, but Country Inn & Suites.

Please do not hesistate to contact me if you would like to discuss this matter further. I can be reached at 717-261-0900.