“The Orchards in Chambersburg Pa. grade { F-}”

The Orchards Restaurant
Ranked #25 of 171 Restaurants in Chambersburg
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Hagerstown, Maryland, United States
“The Orchards in Chambersburg Pa. grade { F-}”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

My Girlfriend and I and 5 other guest had dinner on 2/2/2013 for a special birthday party
we ordered drinks rt aprox... 7:10 pm The waiter then took our food order at 7:20 pm.We recieved our appetizer at aprox 7:50 pm. We waited for our dinner to come and we asked twice where is our dinner and they stated it was coming However it was Now 9:00 pm and we were still waiting for it. We ask for the manager and she stated she was sorry for the delay. She stated they had a banquet and was taking care of them also. When we got our dinner, Just about all of the servings were cold. Some were taken back and reheated and other guest decided to eat it cold. We were all disappointed with the service and the way were treated. The owner of the business did speak with one of our guest and offered a gift card however she should have gave the whole party a discounted meal or gift card for all of the problems we encountered. I personaly
will never return to this place I feel this review is accurate and the Management should prepare for more help in advance when holding a banquet and not let other guest left out in the cold litterely.

L. Myers

• Visited February 2013
3 Thank Larry M

Philadelphia, PA
“Absolutey Floored”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

My wife and i took a quick 2 night getaway to a local B&B in Chambersburg in mid January. We purposely wanted to get away and basically do nothing. That said, we are used to staying in some higher end hotels and resorts and live in Philadelphia, so our standards are a bit on the high side when it comes to food.

After doing some research on local restaurants, we choose Orchards for our first evening in town. We were hoping to just get some good, traditional American fare. What we got far exceeded our expectations.

When you approach the restaurant from the outside, it looks like a catering building at best. Not offensive mind you, just not as welcoming as one might wish. One the flip side, they do a pretty solid catering business which warrants the appearance. IMPORTANT NOTE!!!! There is a bar that is attached next door with a very different clientele. Not that I particularly have a problem and if I was looking for somewhere to drink heavily or watch a game, I might visit there but on a weeknight, most of the parking lot is taken up with their patrons rather than those from the Orchard. Enter through the big double doors out front and you'll be fine. The aformentioned bar is to the left when facing the building from the street.

Once inside, the place steps up a notch. For non-catering clients, you can choose between the lounge and a fine dining room. We chose the dining room as the lounge seemed dead. The dining room wasn't much more lively but again, it was a Thursday night. This is the sort of place that visually you might have expected your grandparents to enjoy in 1965. Now that might come off as a bad thing but, in fact, like the food, there's some kind of beauty and elegance in the restaurant. It's sort of like a lost art of traditional American dining.

Megan, our waitress, was exceptional. She was very courteous yet interactive and professional. She earned herself a healthy tip.

As for the food, the menu is full of seemingly simple options like prime rib, iceberg wedge, crab dip and chicken cordon blue. While these dishes seem simple, they are often misprepared. That is not the case here. We had the crab dip as a starter and it was simply the best either my wife or I had ever had regardless of price or place. It was preceded with a complimentary seared tuna on Asian rice with a soy reduction. Basically a sushi, it was very well executed and a very nice addition. Our main meals consisted of their broiled seafood platter and the aforementioned chicken cordon blue. The broiled seafood was truly exceptional. The high quality of the food was matched with expert preparation. Seasoned perfectly, this was a dish which one would expect would only be available dockside in New England. It made us really question if we were, indeed, in Chambersburg PA. The chicken cordon blue was very good as well. The melted cheese over the boneless breast took away a bit from the breaded texture of the dish but the cheese stuffed inside with the ham were classically done and the touch of holiandaise sauce was very thoughtful.

The deserts were preceded by a wonderful complimentary mango sorbet. We had a chocolate layer cake and Crème brûlée. Again, these are found elsewhere but Orchards execution of these dishes was exceptional. The Crème brûlée had a wonderful crust that actually was crisp! Imagine that. The chocolate cake was sweet but not over powering. Dark and decedent.

We were so blown away that we made reservations for the following evening in their lounge before we even left the restaurant.

The second night, the lounge featured live music. It added a nice ambiance. The lounge was full with a nice crowd. Again we started with the crab dip. For our entrees, I had the lamp chops and my wife the sea scallops. Again both dishes were excellent! The lamp was cooked to a perfect medium rare. They were flavorful without any of the gamey taste one sometimes finds with this meat when not handled properly. That said, the owners are Greek so one would hope they know their lamp. The seafood was again very, very good. For desert, we had the baklava which was very good if not quite as crispy as I tend to like it. That said, it was the last piece so I was not surprised.

This was an absolutely exception experience and I don't see how my family will be able to pass up the chance to return the next time we are in the area.

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank Wallabyguy
Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, United States
“Wonderful fine dining”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

My daughter, granddaughter (age 5), and I thoroughly enjoyed our visit tonight to The Orchards. The service was first rate. The waitress brought us complementary little surprises such as an appetizer to begin and a sorbet before dessert. Service was prompt but not rushed. I loved my salad--fresh greens! The entrees and the desserts were very good.

People who write reviews of what I would consider fine dining establishments, such as The Orchards, can't validly compare them to other kinds of restaurants. People have complained that it takes to long to have a dinner at The Orchards. Yes, our dinner was about 2 hours long, but that's what we wanted. If we wanted fast food, we'd go somewhere else. People also complain about the prices, but the prices at The Orchards are what we would expect for fine dining.

Thanks to The Orchards for a fun time!

• Visited January 2013
Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
“Mother's Day Disappointment”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

We went to the Orchards for mother's day to give it a try. The buffet was mediocre at best, and luke warm. Everyone was crammed in a space too small for the number of tables, and the service sucked. I'll never patronize them again. I can only hope for the regulars that this isn't their normal way of doing business.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank PixieSaurus-Rex
PA
“Negative Impression”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

We visited The Orchards for a work holiday party. This review doesn't reflect individual dining.

The Orchards is located on Orchard Drive near exit 14 in Chambersburg, PA. The restaurant is easy to get to, and parking is ample. When you walk in the front door, you're greeted by dark wood paneled walls, warm lighting, and a sense of elegance. This is the kind of place where they have someone to take your coat upon entering.

The restaurant features several rooms for large groups, all on one side of the building. The actual dining area (which I did not see) was on the other side. The party room we had was filled with round tables, each table already had a salad on it. The salad looked a little lacking, but at least it wasn't just plain iceberg lettuce. The tables were set neatly, and all of the silverware looked clean and spot-free.

The room had restrooms in them, which was convenient because our room was at the very end of the hall, away from the main restrooms. The lighting was a bit dim, but I guess that fits the scene. It was decorated for Christmas as well. The place could use a few cosmetic upgrades to freshen it up a bit, but it wasn't in dire straits.

The bar-tender was very professional and pleasant. He reflected well on the restaurant. The servers on the other hand weren't quite so positive. They weren't rude or anything, but not what I'd expect. They were prompt throughout the whole meal at getting dirty dishes out of the way, but sometimes they'd swoop in and be rather forceful at sticking their arms into your table to get the dishes. Also, on more than one occasion, they did not even ask if we were done with the plate/glass.

We'd already placed our orders prior to the party, and the servers came around to confirm what we ordered. The food still took quite some time to come out. They forgot about my husband's dinner. Everyone else at the table had theirs except for him, and they didn't take notice until the whole room was served. Luckily they had an extra plate, which was what he ordered, so it was fine.

The food came to us not hot, tepid at best. Now, I understand they had quite a few people to serve, but even upon setting the plate down the plate itself was not even warm. They should have at least used warm or hot plates for serving a larger number.

As for food taste and quality, it was not impressive. I had crab cakes, which were very tasty, but nothing special. There were lumps of large crab meat chunks, but that's about all it had going for it. My husband's New York Strip steak had a gravy on it they didn't even ask him if he wanted. They did inquire as to how he wanted his steak to be cooked, and it was about right. One other person at our table ordered steak, but it came to her much more done than she'd ordered.

Our meals were all served with a steamed veggie medley with seasoning, and some roasted potatoes. The veggies were very crisp, not at all overdone which was great, and had a good flavor. The potatoes were just plain bad. Super dried out, somewhat hard, and the flavor was nothing recognizable and nothing pleasing.

Desserts were served on a table, and varied from cakes to pies. I had a chocolate cheesecake which was very delicious, but sweeter than anything I'd eaten in a long time. A couple of people had a sponge-type cake with strawberry sauce and said it was super dried out.

My overall opinion of the food, service, and atmosphere of that evening left me not desiring to every dine by choice at The Orchards. Service was slow and the food was not worth the high prices on the menu. I understand that both of those could very well be different when actually dining in, but I don't care to spend that much money to find out.

• Visited December 2012