“Fantastic food and great service”
Review of Bistro 71

Bistro 71
Ranked #5 of 172 Restaurants in Chambersburg
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I was a little concerned when I read some of the reviews on this restaurant, however once I visited it I was hooked. I usually rate a restaurant on 3 counts, food quality, service and surroundings. Bistro 71 is a small upscale restaurant in downtown Chambersburg. While the location isn't what I would consider the fanciest it is easy to get to and plenty of local parking. The restaurant is rustic and rather small the surroundings are very well appointed, clean, and interesting. There outdoor seating at the back of the facility looked particularly nice. The service was fantastic, Jeremy, our server, was very good. He was prompt, knew the menu and had really good suggestions on wine and of course the food. We didn't have to wait long for our drinks, ordering and delivery of the food. Now for the food, while the menu was limited, all the selections looked interesting and well defined on the menu. My favorite meal is a filet, however not many restaurants really get it right for me. Usually there either too big, too small, not done the way I like it, tough, tasteless etc. I must say the filet at Bistro ranks as one of the best I have ever eaten. Portion size was perfect, meat was cooked rare and the blue cheese topping was fantastic. The corn side dish was also fantastic. Overall I feel this restaurant is definitely on my to do again list. If your looking for a cheap, heaps of food and salad bar type of place, Bistro 71 is not for you, go to Bonanza or Ryan's. If your looking for a great dinner, friendly surrounds and great service then my advise is give Bistro 71 a try.

4  Thank olie20
There are newer reviews for Bistro 71

Reviewed June 23, 2013

This review will cover two separate visits that resulted in fairly similar experiences.

Seating was prompt.

Atmosphere was attractive though subdued. Classy with distressed red brick and dark hard wood accents. The drawback here is that with little to no

Service was arrogant and forgetful on the first visit and unconcerned and confused on the second. Drinks stayed empty, servers were asked to address this, repeat process. Sigh....

Food was well prepared and fairly well presented. Above average for the area but really nothing memorable.

Portions approached that of appetizers. I can understand reasonable portions, however both times and for all eight meals portions were, well, sad.

Pricing is fairly high for the area. We spent approximately $100 for two people each time we dined here and though we did have desert we did not order any alcoholic beverages.

A couple of hours after leaving we were already hungry.

Typically we give an establishment a couple of tries before deciding not to return. In our opinion this establishment is not worth returning to.

1  Thank D B
Reviewed June 23, 2013

While staying in Chambersburg at the Inn on Ragged Road, we dined t this lovely little restaurant in downtown. I was a bit disappointed that the shops were closed when we arrived and it was only 6 pm. E were early for a Sat night, so we were the first guests so we got wonderful service. Our waiter, Jeremy, was friendly and we also were greeted by Barb, the owner. I had the filet and it was exceptional, interesting s toppings that were not overpowering. My husband ordered the chicken Ceasar salad and was surprised when the Romaine was warm! He had not read that the Romaine was grilled. It was different and it was good. We took a pecan tart with us for later and should have taken two. It was small and very tasty. We would Bo back when in the area.

1  Thank Elizxabeth
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Always enjoy the drinks at the Bistro. Have the tomato bisque and grilled cheese. It's terrific and the rest of the menu items are always good.

1  Thank Pat M
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I was staying the night in Chambersburg, on a road trip that included a visit to nearby Gettysburg. I had read a couple of reviews of Bistro 71 and wanted to check it out.

The food was quite good, and Larry and Barb made me feel like a regular customer. I was travelling solo, sat at the bar, and enjoyed some great conversation as well as a fine dinner.

If you are in the area, make a point to swing by here.

2  Thank Stephen P