“Always wonderful!”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Chambersburg
“Always wonderful!”
Reviewed January 5, 2012

It is always a treat to dine with Larry and Barb and their great staff at Bistro 71 in downtown Chambersburg, PA. One can truly feel like they have gotten out of the 'Burg and into an intimate Bistro in NY or even Paris. The menu is small an unpretentious while still bringing creativity to foods that are all too often only served in a traditional manner. We try to go as often as possible but New Year's Eve was exceptional. The Chilean Sea Bass in Bloody Mary mix with polenta was a real treat and the appetizer was awesome. It could have easily been the whole meal. And of course the dessert (even though they ran out of what we really wanted) was delicious as was the decaf coffee which is too often tasteless swill at other restaurants. Larry and Barb are always gracious hosts and their young, engergetic staff provide great if sometimes unintentionable gaffes (a dinner fork for salad and a salad fork for dinner). I noticed another reviewer did not appreciate Barb's attempt at small town chatter but undoubtedly was just a big city Yankee not used to friendly, small town conviviality.

• Visited January 2012
2 Thank Ronald L

NJ
“Incredible food”
Reviewed December 9, 2011

Everyone in my group loved the food which included a delicious chunky tomato bisque, creamy and perfectly cooked risotto, fresh spinach salad with cashews, mandarins, and red onion, and lamb with a blueberry sauce. We even shared deserts...pumpkin creme brulee and chocolate orange torte. Both were so well prepared that they didn't have to rely on being sickeningly sweet to satisfy the way that some deserts do. Drinks were also good and the staff was really nice. We were all happy to have found Bistro 71. It is more expensive than a chain restaurant but the food quality more than makes up for that.

• Visited December 2011
Naugatuck, Connecticut
“Final Vacation Day”
Reviewed October 25, 2011

This restaurant served the most awesome crab cake I have ever eaten. Everything we ordered was cooked to perfection. They even have excellent coffee! We had no complaints. Now I want to go back to Chamberburg PA!

• Visited October 2011
Meadow Lands, Pennsylvania
“Don't Make Me Come Over There!”
Reviewed September 9, 2011

This was our second visit to Bistro 71, and while we very much like the atmosphere and the food, the wait staff is just ANNOYING and incompetent so the wait is not worth the hassle. I am old school liking a cocktail before dinner. Our waitress took my order for a perfect Manhatten readily enough, and the bartender--who was about two yards away -- had it made quickly. Then I looked on as my drink sat . . . and sat . . . and sat. It was easily five minutes before our waitress could tear herself away from the people she was visiting with at the bar and bring my drink to me. No apology either. Good upbringing precluded my walking over and serving myself. Really, it is just that sort of thing that can break a restaurant experience for me. The meal that followed was better than acceptable, but we never had another visit from our waitress until long after we'd finished our meal. When we spend a hundred bucks for dinner, everything needs to work. We probably won't be back.

• Visited September 2011
3 Thank FineMind
Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
“Excellent Food and Fun, Too”
Reviewed August 15, 2011

This is another of Chambersburg's recent crop of excellent "high end" restaurants. It is located in an old narrow storefront building downtown that has been remodeled with trendy modern furnishings (aluminum chairs) and decorations (including quirky original art). The kitchen produces reliably delicious American cuisine, the owners/hosts are charming and the ambiance is delightful (although a bit crowded because of the configuration). It is, by local standards, rather pricey, but the overall experience is great: good food and a lot of fun, too.

• Visited July 2011