“Grungy”

Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Chambersburg
Parsippany, New Jersey
“Grungy”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I don't think I've ever given a Marriott property less than a good to excellent rating, but this one deserves a fair rating. I stayed here June 20, 2013. I didn't have a bad experience, but I found the hotel a bit grungy. The personnel was pleasant and my room ended costing less (I had reserved a king room and they changed it to a double), which was good. My issue was that the hotel felt grungy. Even my 10 year old mentioned that it wasn't clean. The hallway and elevator seemed as if they had not been vacuumed for a while. Normally, when I enter a Marriott property, it smells fresh and clean. Not the case here. The room was dated, the bathroom really small and the sink area was not inside the bathroom. The sink did not appear to have been scrubbed, maybe just quickly wiped down after the last guests left. The room just did not feel clean. Thankfully, I carry cleaning supplies. The bed felt clean, but the room carpet did not. I did not sleep well. Not sure if it was the bed or the grungy appearance of the room. Breakfast was ok, your typical Marriott continental breakfast. The price was good, under a hundred, but I won't stay again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Julie F, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Chambersburg, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
I do sincerely apologize for your experience at our hotel. We have made changes to staffing our staffing in housekeeping and if you notice it has made a difference. We are going through complete renovations at the end of the year and would love you to stay with us again. Please feel free to call me or email me so that we could discuss your concerns further.

Thank you again and I hope to hear from you soon,

Julie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Little River
Reviewed August 10, 2013

This is the first time I have ever stayed at a Marriott hotel where my bed was not comfortable. I had my choice of two double beds or one double bed for the same price. I took the one double bed. I felt the price should have been less than the $100 I spent.

The room was OK. Nothing special for furniture or size. But it was very clean. However, my bed had some kind of pad on it that bunched up during tossing and turning at night and became very uncomfortable. Therefore, I did not sleep well.

Staff was pleasant and gave me a list of restaurants in the area. I was on a trip and when I came back that way, I chose a Country Inn & Suites, which was way superior to this hotel for the same money and a nicer breakfast.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Julie F, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Chambersburg, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to inform us about your stay. We are planning on going through a complete renovation hopefully by the end of the year and would love for you to stay with us. I understand that does not change the fact that the bed was uncomfortable and you did not sleep well, however I truly hope that you will stay with us in the future and allow us to make this up you. Please contact me via email or by phone so that I can ensure your stay would be up to the Marriott standards we all expect.

Julie
dre11434
Reviewed August 1, 2013

So it's a Marriott in the middle of nowhere. I wasn't expecting the Ritz but neither was I expecting a Super 8. The room was very shabby and for some reason I was given a wheelchair access room which was very weird given that I didn't request one. The noise on the air unit competed with the passing trucks for loudest in the town. The breakfast was blah, save yourself some time and stop by sheets up the road. Having said all of that, the staff was very nice and friendly.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Chambersburg hotels

Pgh, PA
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Just an average hotel. Room was clean, breakfast was good. A little overpriced in my opinion.
Bed/pillows just ok. Nice deck outside of the pool area. Would recommend for a short stay but not an extended period of time. Good location; near lots of restaurants and shopping.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Reviewed June 25, 2013

For thirteen years we have used the Fairfield as our "residence" while visiting family in the greater Chambersburg area. Spent two nights this and helped them discover a door key lock with dead batteries. Moved to another room . . . clean, fresh and quiet. Staff has turned over but the new folks are gracious and more than helpful. Breakfast as usual a wide variety but still no "biscuits and gravy!" Thanks for another grand stay and special thanks for upgrading the fitness center!

Room Tip: Choose upper floor - Room 316 was very pleasant and lots of space.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
pittsburgh, pa
Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

Rooms were large, staff was friendly and accommodating and everything was clean. The location was excellent as well. It was seconds from Interstate 81 and various restaurants. The breakfast was ok - attendant in hand the whole time refilling when needed. It was fine for me and my husband and saved us a few bucks instead of stopping somewhere on the way. I'd stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2013
Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here in June 2013. Parking lot was large enough to park our truck and 20' trailer. Very well lit. I requested room on front side of hotel so we could see our trailer. She was happy to accomodate me. Staff was friendly and helpful. Hotel has indoor pool and has clean rooms. Beds and pillows slept well. They provide breakfast but Cracker Barrell and Bob Evans are both next door. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013