“wonderful place”

Christian W. Klay Winery
Reviewed August 25, 2013

excellent and courteous staff. The owner is pleasant and knowledgeable in all aspects of wine.
The winery a tremendous place top have a wedding or event as long as it's LEGAL in PA.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

A friend was turned away from this place when he wanted to have his wedding here, simply because he is gay. Don't give this place your money, they discriminate against the LGBTQ community.

9  Thank Jodee W
Reviewed August 13, 2013

My same sex partner and I are looking for rustic venues for our commitment ceremony/wedding (whatever you want to call it in PA!), and my mother had suggested Christian Klay Winery because she knew that we want a barn. The woman who had answered the phone (we'll call her Kay) was extremely pleasant and accommodating, and offered to look into availabilities for us to come and tour the grounds and call us back. Everything sounded great, and we anticipated spending a nice afternoon this weekend touring the venue, and enjoying a nice lunch/wine tasting together. When Kay called me back, I had thought it would be with a list of times that we could schedule a visit. Instead, I was met with the sour news that our business was not welcomed in their venue.

Speaking for her employer, Kay (apologetically and empathetically) let me know that the owner, Sharon Klay, was not "comfortable" booking a same sex wedding given the "questionable legality" of our union in Pennsylvania. Kay was clearly surprised by this and, sadly, put in the tough spot of speaking for a bigot when she seemed to have no idea that her employer was operating the business in such a discriminatory way. I asked Kay to pass along the comment that the legality of our union has nothing to do with the venue where we celebrate it, and that it's a sorry excuse to blame "questionable legality" for ones own blind prejudice. Apparently gay money doesn't spend as well as everyone else's at Christian Klay Winery.

We ask no one at Christian Klay to break the law, or even to be concerned with state recognition of our union. It's none of their business, frankly! We are looking for a place to welcome our family and loved ones to share in an important moment in our lives. I am saddened and appalled that the owner would be so discriminatory in the management of her business. Further, if the venue were in Allegheny County, this would be illegal! Not only is her refusal to accommodate us wrong, it's bad business practice. They are turning away potential gay clients at a moment where same sex celebrations are only becoming more commonplace, and also alienating heterosexual couples with LGBT friends or family.

The venue seems stunning, but my partner and I will never know. Our dollars, apparently, aren't as valuable as the dollars earned by heterosexual folks. I discourage any and all LGBTQ people, as well as their friends and supporters, from having anything to do with Christian Klay Winery.

Goodbye and good riddance! This makes the task of choosing a venue for our big day that much easier!

18  Thank Matt B
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I also went to the wine and cheese tour. I found the tour of the winery very nice. Ray was informative and helpful. Sure you didn't get a lot of cheese but the tasting itself was very nice, set up outside, with wine glasses, it was a great setting over looking the country side. We tried 8 wines and Ray told us about each one. The staff was polite and very helpful. I liked the ride up to the vines on the hay wagon. Ended up buying a few bottles of wine and plan on stopping back soon! VERY NICE!

1  Thank terryd78
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Very average wines, in a very average setting, served by a below average assistant who knows nothing about wines and much less about service.

4  Thank cliff m