“Mediocrity at its best”

Christian W. Klay Winery
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Very average wines, in a very average setting, served by a below average assistant who knows nothing about wines and much less about service.

4  Thank cliff m
in 5 reviews
"moonshine"
"gifts"

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Went for the wine and cheese tour from Living Social. For $ 25 we got a wagon ride to the vineyard and a small tasting with 6 crackers and 2 pieces of cheese. The staff seemed annoyed we were there. The tastings are normally free. BAsed on this experience I probably won't purchase any of their wine.

5  Thank Keith B
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Vines need a few more years.. and the wine will be terrific. All in all a great wine is produced here, and Audra is the most helpful person imaginable.....

Reviewed June 17, 2013

We also went through "Living Social." I would not pay over their deal for the tour. However even though the samplings are small, it was very interesting. Ray (the manager and tour guide) loves what he does, and is quite happy to answer any questions. This is a small winery with a friendly atmosphere. The countryside is absolutely beautiful. I'm sure the lavender festival would be a great event to attend.

See more reviews
Reviewed May 28, 2013

My husband and I recently received a living social coupon for the wine and cheese tour for two and used it for our anniversary trip. We were expecting to taste wines and maybe learn a little about the process of making wine, but were totally amazed with how much we learned. I was surprised by the bad reviews for this and maybe it is just in the timing. We went before harvesting time and it was a cool rainy day so the winery wasn't extremely busy. Ray was wonderful and we learned so much about not just the winery but his love for it as well. He took us to the vineyards and showed us how each type of grape is different and spent time just answering the tons of questions we had. We came back and were able to see how the wine is mixed and processed and then had our tasting. We actually enjoyed the private table in the back. Yes, it is a warehouse in a way but this is a small winery in southwestern PA, not napa valley and why would they take space they don't need to make a private tasting room. The tasting isn't about the surroundings. It is about enjoying the wines and refreshments. We enjoyed the small samples of each wine, especially me since I am a light drinker and Ray gave us so much information on each. If you have a chance to take this tour, try it. You will come away with such an appreciation for what goes in to running a winery and the wine making process. The only suggestion I would have is to maybe put a sign at the store they have about five minutes down the road. We waited 15 minutes for Joanna to wait on us, only to tell us that the actually winery was ten minutes up the road and by this point we were five minutes late.

2  Thank chrisina b