“What's wrong with simple?”

The Lodge at Chalk Hill
Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

I guess if this motel advertised as a 5 star resort, I might take issue...but it does not. While there are some surprises [my room had a back deck overlooking a small lake (or big pond)]...it remains a simple motel that enjoys good proximity to Falling Water & Kentuck Knob homes while offering basic lodging at a reasonable price. The water pressure is low, granted...but the views and grounds are charming. You have to hold your mouth just right to engage the old door locks, but you can take a nice walk and enjoy a dazzling sunrise. The breakfast is limited, but stunning drives through the wilderness with river rafting is available about twenty minutes away in Ohiopyle. There are plenty pros to offset the cons. My room was clean...my bed was comfortable and the price was right. Eat at the restaurant (Brick Oven) across the hwy...the "heart attack" burger was 2 grilled cheese sandwiches surrounding a hefty hamburger patty with fixings...there was also delectable looking pizzas and homemade pies...I didn't have enough room to try the pies, tho. Motel Reception was friendly and you can park near your unit's door making loading/unloading simpler. it was basic, but we felt that we got our money's worth.

• Stayed: September 2013

Reviewed September 2, 2013

The Lodge at Chalk hill provides the very basics, a very firm bed, small bathroom, TV, microwave, refrigerator, iron and iron-board. It is a recently (within past year) remodeled set of single floor motel rooms located about a 100 yards off of Route 40. The staff seemed friendly enough, when they are around, not too talkative. The breakfast is the very minimum - three types of cereal, plain bagels, English muffins, white bread, coffee, orange juice, milk and 3-4 day old bananas – that’s it. The location is good if you are spending time at Ohiopyle State Park, Fallingwater, Kentuck Knob, or even Uniontown. I’m not sure I’d stay again, only because the bed was too firm, and I like firm beds, and the breakfast was well below the standard for any hotel/motel that I’ve patronized within the last few years. If you like very firm beds and can bring your own food or drive to one of the local restaurants; you will do well to stay at the Lodge at Chalk Hill.

Room Tip: The Stone House Inn restaurant is still a disappointment
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jrzj42
Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

While past its prime and very humble it is clean, affordable and well maintained. The ammenities are pretty sparse but if you need an overnight spot in the area its probably one of the better choices.
Bring your own stuff.. you won't find shampoo, lotion, etc in rooms. Breakfast is cereal and bananas.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I had a reservation at a motel a few miles away but cancelled it before arriving because I was worried that they couldn't guarantee me that I'd have a non-smoking room. On our way in to Ohiopyle we stopped by that initial motel and it was disgusting. I was glad we weren't staying there but concerned that we didn't know where we'd be sleeping that night. I called a bunch of the B & B's in the area but it was going to be very pricey for a family of four. We were looking for a place between the white water rafting in Ohiopyle and the Laurel Caverns in Farmington. I was so pleased when I saw these rooms! Our room had been freshly painted/remodeled. It did not smell like mildew (like the motel did). The beds were comfortable and it was nice having a balcony overlooking the pond. Breakfast was simple but great with fresh fruit, etc.... Quiet location (off the road) and family run. The price was very reasonable for the area and we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank bargaincrazy
Reviewed August 12, 2013

It is a simple motel, but the units are quite new and the grounds are big. There is a largish pond that separates units from the highway, which is nice. The rooms are quite new and clean and beds are comfortable. There was a stale smell in the room when we arrived, but we opened the doors and it was gone pretty quickly. We had a patio with chairs and nice view of the pond. This place is remote, so at night the air was fresh, highway traffic was rare and stars were plenty so it felt like camping. Breakfast was basic, but there is a big terrace with a decent view. WiFi is available in the main lodge and if you're lucky you can get in your room as well.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Marriedwchildrn
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We were looking for a place to stay that was convenient for a weekend of caving, rappelling and whitewater rafting at Ohiopyle State Park and Laurel Caverns. The Lodge at Chalk HIll fit the bill nicely. The rooms were clean and roomy enough with a small balcony that came in handy for laying out wet clothes to dry. There was also a microwave and mini-fridge in the room which was convenient. The motel also served a continental breakfast consisting of cereals, pastries, breads and fruit in the lodge which was a bonus. The only drawback was that the refrigerator in our room was a bit noisy. Since I was not used to the sound of it, I had a hard time getting to sleep.

Room Tip: We were looking someplace to stay that was within easy driving distance of both Ohiopyle State Park...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Clean and basic hotel room. Liked the decks overlooking the lake. The breakfast was basic but good. Simply OJ, Milk, Coffee, Tea, Toast, English Muffins, Bagels, Cereal, very clean and staff very friendly. Husband took business call on the deck at the main lodge early in the morning and enjoyed the quiet and outside.

No coffee maker in room - not a problem if you are aware of it and prepared to walk to main lodge. They did have fridge in room and hair dryer which was an older style but worked well. Water pressure low but enough hot water.

Very good value. Also fun to see many of us on the rafting trip stayed at this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for lake views if you have time to sit out and watch the ducks or stars.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
#2 of 4 in Farmington
Log Cabin Lodge and Suites
Log Cabin Lodge and Suites
#1 of 1 in Jones Mills

Been to The Lodge at Chalk Hill? Share your experiences!