“Always Enjoyable!”

The Lodge at Chalk Hill
Reviewed August 16, 2012

My family returnion is in Connellsville, and we have stayed at the Lodge at Chalk Hill in August for the past five years. We find the staff, especially, Gita, very helpful and accommodating. The rooms are clean, comfortable and very adequate for our purposes.

This year we brought our dog, Morris with, and I did not find out until I arrived that only the "600" section is used for guests with pets. It is definitely understandable, but my husband, daughter and I were looking forward to staying in our favorite room: 201. We were, however, delighted that we got to see that section of the property; for the number of times we've stayed, we had no idea there was a really huge "fire pit" availble, with two picnic tables, and a pretty dilapidated swing set--which my daughter still enjoyed! My husband made a lovely fire, and also made dinner--cheeseburgers, that were absolutely scrumptious.

The lake on the property provides great fishing for locals and guests, alike. I caught a beautiful 12 inch large mouth bass; which was the envy of my fishing buds. However, if you just want to sit on the deck and watch the lake; with Rt. 40 in view as well, it is still quite relaxing. We are planning another trip in October and we'll definitely stay at the Lodge.

For a great deal, comfortable beds, with no hustle and bustle for miles around, you can't beat the Lodge at Chalk Hill!! Thanks, Gita!

Room Tip: We enjoy the corner units best (101, 201, etc.)--they're a bit more private; just having other g...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Beethoven3rd

Reviewed August 14, 2012

My father and I stopped here to visit Fallingwater on our way to moving me from MA to New Orleans (we were in the room basically just to sleep). The room we stayed in was clean, but certainly nothing fancy. The real difference between this being an average and a good stay was attention to detail; i.e. no channel guide, wi-fi only in the main building, loose wallpaper corners, weatherstripping. To us it just showed a lack of effort to fix the small stuff. The continental breakfast had a decent spread (though no decaf coffee). The price was pretty good (got AAA discount) and it was 15min-ish from Fallingwater. For a longer stay it seemed to have a little deck and decent view from each room.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank EEG22
Reviewed July 29, 2012

This was a last minute trip for some much needed quiet time in Ohiopyle and a visit to Kentuck Knob. I found the room to be adequate, even surprised to find a full kitchen of supplies (much needed silverware when I brought back take-out dinner). My room was very quiet, I enjoyed the deck overlooking the pond. There's a lot of traffic on 40 just beyond the pond, but it was not a big deal. The price was right, the owner was very friendly. I would stay again, but will likely try some of the other accomodations when in the area.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank swandive208
Reviewed July 21, 2012

The Lodge is located on a semi-wooded property containing a large pond suitable for fishing (and birding during migratory seasons). The rooms are cabin-like, not luxurious but clean and comfortable, each with a small patio. This was our first visit, and we chose to stay here because of its nearness to our primary destinations, Fallingwater and Kentuck Knob. But we liked the place and would come back just to enjoy the bucolic, laid-back atmosphere and to enjoy the view from the deck behind the main building.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank APM_01
Reviewed July 4, 2012

We have been visiting Fayette County for years and usually stay at the Lodge at Chalk Hill, There is not many other hotels in the area unless you stay in Uniontown and drive up an down the mountain everyday to visit the local attractions: Ohiopyle, Falling Water, etc. But the Lodge is adequate and fairly clean. I agree with other reviewers that a fresh coat of paint is long overdue on the decking; we bought our own folding chairs. It is very relaxing to sit on the deck in the morning and have a cup of coffee. Breakfast is typical and basic: bagels, toast, coffee, juice, but little else, so enjoy one of the local restaurants in the area for a full breakfast selection. The room's door is on the outside and the step up into the room is somewhat steep, which many be a challenge for some.

Directly across the road is a small diner (Brick Oven) which should be avoided unless you are desperate; overpriced for the poor quality food and the service is terrible. The waitress served my wife's breakfast, but forgot that I also ordered as well. Huh? Apologies are hollow on an empty stomach. Inexcusable for any restaurant! There are much better dining options in the area. About a mile East on Route 40 is Braddock's Inn which has a very good breakfast, especially during Buckwheat Pancake season in the Fall and Winter. (Months with an "R"). Another 8 miles East on Route 40 is The Lone Star Restaurant and Chet's Cafe, both OK for breakfast. Best dinner in the area is Fabrizzi's Italian Restaurant near Jumonville. Family owned for 60 years or so and the homemade pasta is very good, so is the gravy. My wife and I had dinner there one evening and watched the hummingbirds feed on the porch. There is a Subway within a mile of the Lodge for a quick meal.

Room Tip: Buildings 1, 2, and 3 are on a small lake with a walking path.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank mandt1984
Reviewed July 1, 2012

great place with comfortable nice and clean rooms. Affordable price and addition of breakfast was great. My kids loved fishing in the lake. Helpful and friendly staff with direction. Def. will stay again in few months!!

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking lake!!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank john s
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Have been a frequent visitor to Chalk Hill Lodge and this is the first review I’ve written. Chalk hill Lodge is a quant retro style motor lodge that is clean although a bit worn. The decks overlooking the lake are beautiful for morning coffee or a drink at sunset. Well kept grounds with a walking trial around the lake. Friendly courteous staff. A great value! We will be back!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
#2 of 4 in Farmington
Log Cabin Lodge and Suites
Log Cabin Lodge and Suites
#1 of 1 in Jones Mills

Been to The Lodge at Chalk Hill? Share your experiences!