“Nice selection of teas”

Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Ambler, Pennsylvania
“Nice selection of teas”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I have been here many times with friends and am surprised by some of the negative reviews I've seen on Trip Advisor about this restaurant. I wouldn't advise going there with a party of 9 like those who gave it a poor review did. It is a small intimate tea room not suited well for such large groups. The food is very good as are the teas, but you need not to be in a rush. If you want to blow in and out of a restaurant, try McDonald's and not a tea house. We have always found the service attentive, but not overbearing. Very charming décor in a nice old building. The gift shop is lovely.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank treeface

Huntingdon Valley
“Nice Atmosphere, Bad Service”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

This place has so much potential, it is a lovely environment, wonderful tea selection, and good food. But the service leaves so much to be desired. We had a reservation and there were 9 of us, 3 of which were children. We literally sat for at least 15 or 20 minutes without anyone greeting us- we were pointed to our table and told that there were menus on the table and that was it. Finally the waitress came and we were able to ask our questions and place our order, we ordered everything at once, our tea and our meal selections. And we sat for an hour before our tea finally came. I understand that it must take some time to brew 9 pots of tea but there was NO- "thanks for your patience" or "sorry it took so long". We then had to wait more time for the scones to come out, I did inquire as to how long until the food arrives (we were all starving and like I said we had 3 kids with us who were being VERY good and patient even though they were hungry). The waitress told me that they were still in the oven. While I appreciate freshly made, warm scones, it would seem that the planning could have been better (they obviously ran out and had to make more but there was no explanation to us about this or apology). Finally the scones came and we scarfed them down and waited and waited and waited for the main course to arrive. Once it finally did, we asked them to box up our desserts because we had been there so long at this point and we needed to leave. I understand that they were busy, but they should have planned for more kitchen staff or waitresses that day. No one was friendly, accomodating, or even seemed to care to make us feel welcome, comfortable, or that we had to wait so long for everything. The second time that I asked if the wait was going to be much longer for the food, the waitress just said "No" in a very snippy tone. Like we were getting on her nerves or inconveniencing her. Give me a break. We were not rude, we had 3 kids with us, we tried to be patient and we left with a horrible impression of the Talking Teacup. Also, the gluten free options were not tasty at all. There are so many options out there for gluten free flour and baked goods but clearly they are not aware of them. I am glad there were alternatives offered when we asked but they don't seem to care to make them taste really good. Even Whole Foods offers a gluten free scone mix that is much better than the "bars" they offered in place of the scones. The gluten free bread they used on the sandwiches was stale.
There were other things but I think you get the idea, even with a reservation it seems that the service is very poor. I guess if there are only 2 or 4 of you, they can handle it but with a large group, they can't handle it. No one even jumped in to help our waitress, the owner didn't seem to be a very good hostess or help to the waitresses. Maybe she was in the kitchen working, I don't know. When my sister paid the bill, the owner checked her out and she didn't ask- "how was everything" or anything like that so she obviously doesn't seem to care. Like I said in the beginning, this place has so much potential....we will not be returning again.

• Visited December 2012
6 Thank Kristin S
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Good food, horrendous service.”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Our party of 9 made reservations for 1.30 in advance of our Friday afternoon tea. We arrived early and the staff said they had to reset our table. We shopped at the antique store until our reservation and went back. We told the cashier we were there, she said our table was ready, menus were on the table. We asked if we should seat ourselves, she said yes. We sat, looked at the menu, decided, and sat some more. With an 85 year old woman, a pregnant woman, and two 5 year olds, our waitress did not greet our table for a thirty minutes. Once we ordered, it took 45 minutes for our tea to make it to the table. Our teapots were emptied and we were still waiting for any food. We spent our time waiting, not eating and drinking. Our waitress never acknowledged the fact that there was anything wrong or that things were taking longer than it should. Or offer more drinks or food while we waited. We barely saw our waitress the length of our visit. The food was good, service was horrible.

4 Thank faith429
Perkasie, Pennsylvania
“Nice Little Teahouse”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Great location and they do take reservations. Standard tea fare and food is simple but good. Great selection of loose tea. Great old building adds to the charm and they do have a nice gift shop.

Visited April 2012
1 Thank Nanadalyn
Doylestown, Pennsylvania, United States
“Fun times!”
Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

Make sure to make a reservation. The tea house is small. My friend and I went for lunch on a Saturday afternoon. She ordered the afternoon tea and I ordered the lighter lunch so we could share. They both came with scones, a huge pot of tea and dessert. Hers came with petite sandwiches and mine came with cheese and crackers. It doesn't sound like a lot but you will leave full!! The scones are delicious with Devonshire cream. Some of the sandwiches were better than others and the cheese and crackers plate was huge. The falling leaves tea was a hit. The only complaint I have is that it took 2.5 hours to complete our tea. All in all though it was a fun time. Would definitely recommend to others.

1 Thank Amy L