“Trying A Newbie”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 22, 2014

We used to visit the previous restaurant in this space fairly often, so we just had to see how the new one measured up. Very favorably. We had reservations at 6:30. By 7 we saw them turning folks away, and when we left there were no open tables. We were seated promptly although it took a bit longer than usual to have our wine opened. When it was opened, the server told us about the specials--2 appetizers only. My wife started with the chicken liver pate and said it was quite good. I had steamed clams (local middle-necks in a wine reduction with seaweed butter and lemon verbena). My only small complaint was a little sand in a couple, but the broth was excellent especially when soaked into the rustic bread. My wife had the pike steamed in cardamom leaf. She had never had pike before and said she wouldn't again, anywhere--not because it was prepared poorly, but it was so mild it had no flavor. I opted for the oak-plank, grilled sturgeon. I had never eaten sturgeon before and found this preparation quite good. It was accompanied by roasted sunchokes (also a first for me). My only complaint about this dish is that I think it could use a more of a starch and more vegetables. My wife finished with vanilla ice cream but I had the flourless chocolate cake--very light, more like a firm mousse, It was accompanied by a smoked blueberry compote, but I really couldn't taste the smoke which for me was a good thing. Service during the meal was attentive but not smothering. They are also very careful to ask about potential food allergies and the menu notes such things as gluten free. All in all, a very satisfying experience. We will go back.

Reviewed May 9, 2014

The grilled sturgeon was a taste delight and perfectly cooked. The chicken corn soup was a bit "advanced" for my taste (it had some unusual ingredients like huitlacoche riwwels)) but the steamed clams were perfect. The flourless chocolate cake was very good and also unusual.

1  Thank GourmetWaynePA