“Disappointed”
Review of The Pennsbury Inn

The Pennsbury Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Chadds Ford B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

Hosts were mostly lovely, the place is quirky, it is a nice space for small reunions, lots of interesting details, great for relaxing. But don't book tickets through them. Cheryl got order wrong, didn't know cancellation policy, was dismissive.

• Stayed: June 2013
8  Thank Cowbabes
There are newer reviews for The Pennsbury Inn

Reviewed June 3, 2013

I stayed one night at the Pennsbury Inn with my family as part of a longer journey. The owners were friendly and welcoming to my two children, who loved playing with their small dog, and we enjoyed walking in the beautiful gardens and staying in a very comfortable bed. The homecooked breakfast was delicious. The location is very convenient for Longwood Gardens.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 25, 2013

My husband and I had an opportunity to get-away for a couple days and stayed at the Pennsbury Inn. We had the Winterthur Suite in this historic Bed and Breakfast. Upon arrival, proprietor Chip gave us the history and a tour of the building. The grounds are just beautiful. Our room was charming with slanted ceilings and a wall of windows that looked out onto the lovely back yard. The room was well appointed with amenities. We had a sleep-number bed that was a first for us - we found our perfect numbers and slept very well. Breakfast was delicious both mornings and the company over the meal was just great. And you have to love the little dog with big personality - Tuck. We would recommend a stay at this charming Inn!

Room Tip: Check out the suites on-line to choose your favorite!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Delightful historic B & B that caters to making one feel at home in time long past. We spent four peaceful nights and four lovely mornings in this historic home and hated to leave. Our hosts were accommodating in every way. Not only did they provide us a memorable stay, they provided so much information and help with visiting some of the historic sites, great restaurants and art museums in the area. And although we don't usually eat sweets just before retiring in the evening, who can resist fresh homemade cookies on your turned down bed just before falling to sleep?

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ellen0417
Reviewed February 26, 2013

This is my 1st TripAdvisor review, but I felt compelled to express our great satisfaction with our stay. The owners are the most adorable, tactful & attentive hosts that we could have asked for. This was our 1st stay at this type of the setting –the Inn - & we were a little "nervous", but we felt right at home - really taken care off & pampered. The breakfast was the most delicious -- with freshly baked goods (popovers were excellent! 1st time trying them - I even got a recipe), carefully selected jams & unbelievable entrees which changed daily. My daughter, who was 3, received her own "little" serving set, a sippy cup & a special-shape pancake (not to mention a little bear Cheryl was so kind to gift her). We visited during the Christmas time & Cheryl did an amazing job decorating the Inn, really uplifting the Holiday Spirit. Our Christmas tradition was going to the NYC to see the Rockefeller Center Xmas Tree, but we are seriously considering changing it in favor of Pennsbury Inn & Christmas Display at Longwood Gardens. We are looking forward to going back to Pennsbury Inn this coming Holiday Season.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Anyacoro
Reviewed January 29, 2013

My husband and I spent two lovely nights at the Pennsbury Inn.

Originally I had booked one night. By the time I realized we needed two nights to enjoy some of what the area had to offer, the room I wanted for the second night had been booked. So, we were able to experience two different rooms. The premier Winterthur, and the smaller with a private bath down the hall John Marshall. We were very comfortable in both, but there is no comparison; the Winterthur is enchanting. Just be warned that there are different levels in the suite. You will be negotiating a few steps for a night-time visit to the bathroom.

We enjoyed sitting by the fire, walking the grounds, and touring the building with Chip, our friendly innkeeper. The rooms are decorated with many interesting collections. We just missed the Halloween decorations, but there were many harvest themed items in each room. I’d love to see what’s displayed for Christmas.

Breakfast was lovely, tasty and plentiful. We found home-made cookies or brownies in our room each afternoon. Plenty of snacks for when you sit by the windows watching the birds.

I had read the other reviews about the Inn and must respond to two comments. “Too rustic” couldn’t get hot water. We had no trouble in either room and the inn was completely booked. You only have to make sure that the shower head is not turned to restrict the water flow. “Clutter” commented about the clutter in the entrance room. Yes, the room is very busy, but it also serves as an office. There is a mixture of business [office desk, brochures, maps, etc] plus collections that decorate every room. There is a lot of stuff, but this room is a work place with pretty items on display.
My two cents:
Accessing the Inn from the main road is tricky. The driveway entrance takes you to a level lower than the road, and the Inn is not easily seen. We looked for the yellow [?] flag as our marker.
If you have a problem with uneven floors and steps, be warned. I kept missing the step into the kitchen.
We very much enjoyed our stay and hope to return in the near future.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank jefrope
Reviewed November 29, 2012

My wife and I just spent three nights in the Pennsbury Inn – and we loved it! I’m a big fan of B&B’s and have been to quite a few. The Pennsbury Inn is my favorite one so far. The house is amazing – a real historical treasure dating from Revolutionary times. Like many historical homes, it has been built in stages over the years so it has lots of interesting rooms, each with its own character. Chip and Cheryl do a wonderful job of making you feel welcome and providing information on the area. Wireless service was flawless, with two routers providing good coverage over the entire house.

We were there in late November, and really enjoyed the wonderful breakfasts in front of a cozy fire. Our room was lovely, and even though it faced the road it was quiet.

Chip went out of his way to ask about breakfast preferences and the food was interesting, plentiful and well prepared. Fresh bread, coffee, tea and hot chocolate are available starting at 7:30, and breakfast is served until 10.

If you prefer a standardized, predictable experience, a hotel might be more to your liking. But if you like history, a bit of serendipity, a home-like environment and warm hosts – you’d be hard pressed to find a better place to stay. And, if, like me, you have a soft spot for dogs, you will love Tucker. I spent several very happy hours in front of the fire with Tucker curled up on my lap. I think that’s the part I’ll miss the most!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Longwood room. As in many old homes, the stairs are a bit steep. Closing the door t...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Fairfield Inn & Suites Kennett Square Brandywine Valley
Inn at Mendenhall, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Hampton Inn & Suites Chadds Ford
Best Western Plus Concordville Hotel

Been to The Pennsbury Inn? Share your experiences!