“Excellent place to stay!”
Review of The Pennsbury Inn

The Pennsbury Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Chadds Ford B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 22, 2011

I decided to travel Brandywine Valley area for a short getaway trip from NYC, and made my choice to stay at Pennsbury Inn after seeing the reviews here. I have to say it was an excellent experience! We stayed at Winterthur, which had a great view of the backyard, and the room itself was absolutely gorgeous. "It's a piece of art," as my girlfriend put it. Indeed, the room itself is worth everything, needless to say that it's also so close to a number of attractions in the area. Chip was very friendly, and provided us with a wonderful and delicious breakfast. I definitely look forward to our next visit in the area and stay at Pennsbury.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 25, 2011

My husband and I spent Thanksgiving day and evening at the Pennsbury Inn and were delighted. It's a lovely very old house, with clean rooms and modern plumbing in a great location. Cheryl and Chip, the innkeepers, couldn't be more friendly and accommodating (before and during our visit). And the breakfast is large and extraordinary. If you're into sleek and modern, try somewhere else; but if you're ready to be engulfed by plain old American charm, this is the place.

Room Tip: Those who can't deal with street noise should ask for a room facing the back of the house. And...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2011

I was excited about staying at Pennsbury after reading so many wonderful reviews. However when we arrived we found the place to be very cluttered and it just didn't seem very clean. Magazines, brochures and books were piled up and spilling onto the floor in the main room. There was a ladies glove that was laying in front of the desk that looked like it had been there for ages. Soft drinks were available to guest and kept under the kitchen counter. Mine was so dirty and sticky I had to was it before I poured it into my glass...then the drink tasted like stale ice that had absorbed the odors from the freezer. I actually had to drive into town to get something to drink that didn't have a funky aftertaste. The Inn itself is very historic and we had a wonderful review of it's history given to us by Chip. Our room was decent, but we had to have the windows open and the very loud trucks from the very busy highway kept us up all night. When we checked out we were not even told thanks for staying, they just walked away after taking the money. I saw other places nearby that looked nicer and were probably a lot cheaper. This was the most expensive place we stayed on our trip, and our least favorite. Not worth the money. The grounds were very pretty.

Room Tip: If you choose to stay ask for a room in the back so that it may be a little quieter.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
9  Thank MelanieCantrell
innkeepersnakey, Owner at The Pennsbury Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2011

I apologize about taking so long to respond to this review, but when I had a chance I needed to reflect on it and other reviews, talking about the same issues. When we're in one of our busy seasons, it is sometimes difficult to find that time to think.
It's quite a task to run a B&B that's perfect for everyone. Some people find it comfortable being surrounded by books and magazines and all sorts of reading material. One person's delight is another person’s clutter. I do apologize if there were books or magazines spilling onto the floor, but for people to be comfortable, I don't want to appear to be always picking up after them. You're certainly right, we do have a lot of brochures but then, there are many, many, many, worthwhile attractions and activities in the Brandywine Valley, guest's interests vary, and I want my guests to be as well informed as possible.
I'm glad that a picture was included to show the glove on the floor, so that I could see what it was. Actually there were two gloves, my favorite gardening gloves. You mentioned our grounds. We have 4 acres of gardens and I don't get as much time out there as I would like or need to. I need to snatch a few minutes here and there and often I need to rush inside to answer the phone, or tend to a guest. I generally peel off my gloves, as I'm running into the inn and often toss them on the floor. I'm sorry that offended you.
I wish you had told us about the sticky soda can and the stale ice. It sounds like a can of soda may have burst and there were probably many sticky cans. We do sometimes forget to check the ice and of course if it hasn't been used much it will tend to take on an odd taste. When that happens, if necessary, we buy ice until our pacemaker replenishes it, but we depend on our guests to tell us.
Having the benefit of your name I was able to check on when you stayed. We have three whole house air conditioning units, and I can't imagine there being a day in August, when the air-conditioning was not running. In fact the room that you were in is one of the coolest. I wonder if perhaps you did not see the sign on the bathroom door suggesting that it be left open, when no one was using it, so that the air-conditioning could circulate better, and therefore felt that you needed the windows open. As to the traffic noise, Rte 1, known as Baltimore Pike and in colonial times as the ”road to Baltimore”, saw Washington's troops march down it towards the Battle of the Brandywine. We’re proud to be able to use and restore this beautiful home and share its history. We make no secret of the fact that we are on a major highway. In fact if a guest indicates in any way that traffic noise might be a problem, we suggest a room in the back of the inn. We point out to all guests where our quarters are so they can always find us, if there's a problem. We have sound machines & ear plugs for light sleepers as well, to ensure their comfort. If a guest does not indicate a problem, we cannot solve it. Two of our rooms in the back of the inn were available during your stay and we would've been glad to relocate you.
I'm especially sorry about your experience in checking out. When guests arrive we always give them the option of paying then, or waiting till check out. I wasn't present, but I do know that mornings can be quite hectic between breakfast prep and cleanup, phone calls, giving out directions, conversing with guests, giving instructions to the housekeeper, etc. I do very sincerely apologize that Chip did not give you his usual cheery sendoff. We very much appreciate all of our guests and it's always disheartening to think that someone may not have gotten the attention they deserved. I'm very glad that you enjoyed Chip’s historic tour and the inn’s grounds.

Reviewed August 23, 2011

This is a warm and welcoming Inn with a fabulous garden. The breakfasts were delicious, the hosts could not have been nicer and it is the perfect location for visiting Longwood Gardens, the Brandywine River Museum, Winterthur and the Delaware Art Museum--all of which I highly recommend. We stayed 3 nights and wished we had planned on a longer stay. They allow one well behaved dog & helped us find a great doggie day care place nearby to leave our dog while we toured.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AbacoFan
Reviewed August 16, 2011

The Pennsbury Inn is the only place you should stay in the Brandywine area. The location is convenient to all Brandywine attractions but that's not even the best part. From the inn and its history, to the gardens and the delicious breakfasts, to Cheryl and Chip's hospitality, the Pennsbury Inn screams fabulous! We've stayed in many B&Bs and inns and many different areas and the Pennsbury, by far, is our favorite! Don't miss it!

Room Tip: Go onto their website. It's very informative and you can do a virtual tour.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank GreenieBoston
Reviewed July 6, 2011

My family and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay for the long weekend. They did everything to ensure we were well taken care of. The premises were also very large and fun for the kids. A very peaceful and clean atmosphere and convenient to many attractions.

Paul Family

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed June 15, 2011

The Pennsbury Inn is a delightful place to stay. The owners, Cheryl and Chip couildn't be more helpful in recommending restaurants, sights and providing directions; always perfect. We had home made breads and jams each morning with a delightful entree. One day it was a delicious cheese souffle; done to perfection!
The room was spacious, imaculate and well tended. In the evening there was a snack by the bed.
A great B&B.

6 mi away
Best Western Plus Concordville Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Chester
Fairfield Inn & Suites Kennett Square Brandywine Valley

Been to The Pennsbury Inn? Share your experiences!