“Good but pricey”

Gables At Chadds Ford
Reserve with OpenTable
Gables At Chadds Ford is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 42 Restaurants in Chadds Ford
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary, Bar
Good for: Special occasions, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Brintons Bridge Rd.
Transit: No public transportation available.
Description: The Gables at Chadds Ford is situated on land that was originally part of a 138 acre land grant from William Penn to Brinton King. Around 1745, a pre-Revolutionary style house was built on the property. This was one of the first homes to be built in Pennsbury Township. For the next 100 plus years, the property operated as a working farm and quietly became part of the Brandywine Valley’s history. The route along Route One is well known to have housed numerous stops for the Underground Railroad during the Civil War. It has been suspected that the King house may have been one of these stops.The house was renovated in the late 1800s by George C. King, son of Brinton King. He adopted the popular Victorian style by adding wrap around porches and twenty three gables. Two of the four original chimneys from the pre-Revolutionary style home are still visible. In March of 2002, the house was placed on the National Historic Register.The bank barn was built in 1897, and the farm became a traditional dairy farm until the late 1940s. The barn then reincarnated into Dario’s Dairy Bar and General Store. Dario’s featured Elsie the Borden Cow on the side of the building. By the 1960s, the site became the Country Kettle, a home-style diner many Chadds Ford residents may remember.The restaurant features the original frame, steel-framed doors and windows, and Benheim restoration glass. The banquet room is accented with a stunning wall of French windows and is crowned with an antique chandelier. The name for the restaurant was derived from the large number of gables, (gable n. the triangular upper part of an outside wall, between sloping roofs), that are featured on both the Victorian House and the restaurant.
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Very good food, but not cheap.
A very nice ambience once you can master how to cross the highway to get in!

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Was here once before in late March 2012 with a friend, and loved it enough to know to want to come back if ever back in the area again. Was visiting the Brandywine River Museum, so had another opportunity.

We arrived between 4 - 4:30pm, and were asked if we wanted lunch or dinner as we were still in that in-between timeframe, and opted for lunch, which would've been easier on the pocket-book. Ordered soups and sandwiches with beer and a side of brussels sprouts grilled with bacon.

Everything was delicious - a little pricier than our usual budget for a lunch menu, but definitely a nice treat at such a lovely restaurant.

We sat at the bar side in their very comfy soft wing-back chairs, but there is also a restaurant on the other side of the bar, as well as outdoor (seasonal) seating, and an upstairs restaurant, which sounded like a wedding was happening while we were there (not that it stopped our enjoyment of our meal).

Would definitely visit again!

amk61482, Public Relations Manager at Gables At Chadds Ford, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Thank you so much for reviewing our restaurant! I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your meal with us. Since your review, we have hired a new chef and changed all of our menus, which now include more mid-range priced dishes. We look forward to you visiting us again when you find yourself in our area!

Reviewed October 11, 2012

Let me preface this review by saying I have never been here for breakfast/brunch. Friends from out of town were in the area for a wedding and wanted to get together before they had to leave town. I chose The gables since it was close to where they were staying. Also, I had been here before for a few corporate and organizational affairs and enjoyed the service and food.

We arrived just a few moments prior to 10:30 am on a Sunday, the time their website said they opened. No customers were inside and the staff was scurrying about readying the place for the day. No one acknowledged us for about five minutes, which I thought was weird, but figured maybe they were short handed and were concentrating on getting ready. Someone finally did ask if we could be helped and I replied that we were waiting for some friends to arrive. Then, in a voice other than a whisper (which suggested to me it was meant for me to be heard) someone in the kitchen,which is off to the side of the bar, said "I thought we opened at eleven."

Our friends arrived and we are seated and then greeted by a pleasant server. We get our coffee and tea and look over the rather abbreviated breakfast menu. The server returns and takes our orders. The server returns and says "I'm sorry, we are out of sausage. Two of the orders had sausage. We are in the midst of changing our menu and I apologize." She was pleasant enough but what kind of restaurant that serves breakfast is out of sausage, regardless of the changing of the menu? We all thought this was weird.

Our meals come quickly and the presentation is very nice. The food was just mediocre.

Nothing about this dining experience was extraordinary though parts were befuddling. Oh well, at least we got to spend some nice quiet time with some friends we don't see much.

If this restaurant is under new ownership maybe they are still working out the kinks.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

The owners are putting a small fortune into the grounds and outdoor seating areas which are lovely, however the quality of the food is not what is used to be. The menu sounds great but the food is mostly bland and boring We hope they improve

3  Thank karen l
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Life is busy. When I have a hectic week, I really enjoy stopping by Gables and having a few drinks with a light dinner at the bar. Rarely too crowded, never too quiet, great bar and several good bartenders. They offer small versions of several of their signature dishes which is just right for a late night meal. Sometimes they have live entertainment which is too loud, I don't stay if there is a band. I have eaten in the restaurant but prefer the bar. My favorite place now.

2  Thank Andrew W

Been to Gables At Chadds Ford? Share your experiences!