“Just okay”

Brandywine River Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chadds Ford
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Ask for a fan early in your stay as the AC is challenged, and hallway noise evident. Pillows and bedding are so very average at best. Well located but very tired. Strangely, we were told that the credit card machine was down for a half day, but if we paid by cash, we could get a 15% discount "for the inconvenience." ???

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Just4grinz
There are newer reviews for Brandywine River Hotel

Reviewed September 19, 2013

The room was clean and quiet. Our room was a king suite and the fireplace was welcome on a cool night. Since we had stayed in the area a number of times in the past we knew where we were going but we observed the front desk staff helping several couples with dinner choices. The afternoon tea and cookies were enjoyable but the breakfast choices were sparser than they had been when we stayed here in the past.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FamReun2013
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I've stayed here a few times but it's never my first choice. The entry is dark and the front desk seems just a bit put out that you are interrupting them. Not rude but less than effusive in their welcoming. Then came a warning about being on the upper floors because of the heat outside was a bit of a red flag. So after deciding to stay on the first floor I discovered the AC in the first floor room struggled a bit anyway. The rooms are clean but are really starting to show their age. With wallpaper peeling a bit from the wall in the bathroom, one of the tub faucets leaking, and the mini fridge desperately needing a defrosting in its freezer, this hotel seems to be in need of some reinvestment in the property. I don't generally prefer the chains, but with brighter, more welcoming properties and definitely better mattresses, they are more appealing than this hotel. I think it probably was nice at some point in the past, but it definitely has not kept up with the times.

Room Tip: Make sure all the equipment is working properly. when you arrive.
2  Thank CarrJL
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I hesitated to book at the Brandywine River Hotel because of some negative reviews. However, I liked the way the manager responded to the complaints, and I took his comment about new ownership to heart. Plus, the price was right and they had a vacancy. I am certainly glad I decided to give them a chance. We found the room clean and comfortable. I jury-rigged a cooler into a temporary refrigerator, but learned after I arrived that one could be rented for $10 a night. Perhaps in the future they can be included in the room costs. We used the business center computer to check some addresses. Front desk personnel were always helpful and courteous.

The breakfast must have been improved as we were delighted with the options: hot and cold cereal, juice, various muffins and breads (including a wonderful apple bread), hard-boiled eggs and a do-it yourself waffle-iron. The cookies at teatime were fresh-baked and delicious.

All in all, I would definitely return, and would recommend it to friends.

Room Tip: It's quiet on the back, with a beautiful view.
2  Thank GloucesterGirl_10
daysspringfield, General Manager at Brandywine River Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2013

Dear Guest,

First of all thank you for taking time out of your day to review our property. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we do hope to be able to serve you again in the future. Your kind words reminds our staff and myself, the best part of working in hotels. It is nice to be a part of someones vacation, and to hopefully, leave them with a good memory and a desire to visit us again.

Sincerest Regards and Thanks,

General Manager Manager

Reviewed August 15, 2013

If you are headed to Longwood Gardens, this hotel is conveniently located. Staff were friendly and helped us move to a different room because the A/C wasn't working in our original room. They offered an AARP discount that I didn't see when I booked the room. One thing, if you are a coffee drinker, you'll need to request a coffee maker for the room -- it isn't standard. The location is tucked away so it is nice and quiet -- but that means limited dining near by.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

We are glad you enjoyed your stay and the staff was able to move your room, though I do apologize for that inconvenience. I am glad to hear that staff was helpful and that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for giving us your suggestions and your feedback on our hotel, it helps us continue to have the most accurate and comprehensive idea of what our guests like and what they think we can do to improve. Please come back and see us in the future!

Regards,

Reviewed August 8, 2013

My husband and I arrived in time to enjoy tea and cookies in the lovely dining room. This Hotel is located across the street from the Brandywine River Museum that is home to beautiful art works by NC Weyth, Andrew Weyth and other American artists. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful. Our room on the second floor was comfortable and clean.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for you time and reviewing our hotel. I am glad you made it in time for tea and cookies! It is one of the things we do to try to ensure that our guests know we care and want them to feel cozy and at home with us. I agree with you that there is a fantastic range of art available to see in the area, and in particular Andrew Wyeth and his work remains a treasure to Chadds Ford.

We hope we get the chance to serve you again in the future, and we thank you again for your time and feedback!

Regards,

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Staff was friendly, food was great, and room was exceptionally nice. They are keeping this hotel in good condition, and are serving a nice, tasty, and included breakfast. The had an excellent ice tea and cookies in the afternoon.

2  Thank leon l

Dear Leon I,

Thank you for your review and your kind words about our hotel. We are working very hard to ensure that all of our guests have an experience that is enjoyable and most importantly that they feel welcome and taken care of by our staff and services. Thank you again and we hope to serve you again in the future.

Sincerest Regards,

#1 of 2 in Kennett Square
Hampton Inn & Suites Chadds Ford
Best Western Plus Concordville Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Chester

Been to Brandywine River Hotel? Share your experiences!