“Quaint Hotel - nice surprise”

Brandywine River Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chadds Ford
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Just returned from enjoyable stay at this quaint hotel. It is on Rt. 1, Baltimore Tnpk, which is a very busy road, but the hotel is quiety tucked back on a hill, away from any noise. It has a colonial/traditional feel, with a welcoming fireplace & seating in the lobby. There is also a breakfast room serving a variety of cereals, yogurt, fruit, breads and make your own waffels. The room had nicely coordinated bedding and drapes and the double bed room was spacious for two. I liked that the coverlet on the beds looked like a bed spread, but was a light covering that could easily be laundered.

The surrounding area is a mixed bag of strip malls with shopping if you need anything and fast food/family type restaurants. Then as you get closer to the hotel area, you have more of a "historic" feel with the Brandywine Battle Park and Brandywine River museum. There are several restaurants nearer to the hotel, but most were pricey. There are a few multi dealer antique/collectible shops in the area - worth a gander if you like to look. We primarily went to visit in the Willmington DE area, which is about a half hour away. We took South Creek Road (across from hotel) which is a lovely country road with hundreds of acres of fields with horses and great stone farm houses. The revolutionary stone houses, both big & small, added to the historic feel of the area. Again, it's a mixed zoning of shopping and scenery. We also visited Longwood Gardens for the orchid show. Unfortunately it was not nice enough weather to enjoy the grounds. Not to be missed if you like gardening, unusual plants, home decor, is the shop "Terrain", near Targets. They have a very natural rustic store, plus eating area for lunch, coffee, desserts.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank zoozanne
There are newer reviews for Brandywine River Hotel

Reviewed February 10, 2013

I went to the inn with my husband and was not happy with how I was treated. The front desk girl Alexis was rude and not helpful at all when I asked about area, she said she was a manager but I don't know how someone like that can call themselves a manager and have that attitude. While there I encountered great food at Hanks and loved visiting Longwood Gardens, the museum is also very close. The room was well cleaned and the breakfast was ok- minimal options. Although the location was ideal and quiet, I will not go back after the service I received which is sad that now the chains will get my business.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank TravelingK630
Reviewed February 6, 2013

My Husband brought me here for a surprise birthday getaway and what a great choice it was. We checked in just in time for the afternoon tea and cookies. Please do not expect more then that it is a lovely choice of teas and cookies, take it for what it is and you will be very happy. The woman who checked us in was very kind and respectful, willing to suggest a nice place to eat or an attraction in the area. We stayed in an upgraded king room it was clean and comfortable with nice furnishings and a cozy gas fireplace and a Whirlpool tub. The fitness room is a small room with an elliptical, treadmill, a stationary bike and a television, not state of the art, but really all I needed. The only down side to our stay was that the tub took a REALLY long time to fill, but if that is the worst thing I can say I call it a win. The hotel is very near to some nice winery's and of course the always beautiful Longwood Gardens.

Room Tip: I did not see the other rooms, but the upgraded king room was very nice.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stefanie D
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Our room was very clean and comfortable. The hospitality team was professional, welcoming, and helpful. They gave us good ideas about the area. Almost across the street from the Brandywine River Museum, very close to the Brandywine battleground, and just a few miles from Longwood Gardens makes the location perfect for us, especially when you add a short walk from 2 restaurants- which are also very good. The breakfast is limited but fresh and well maintained- plus they have cottage cheese as well as yoghurt and I appreciate that.Location- clean and comfortable- welcoming- as I said it is just what we look for. And the value is terrific.

Room Tip: King rooms are spacious and well equipped.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Richard D
Alicia C, Front Office Manager at Brandywine River Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Hi there Richard, and thank you for staying here at the Brandywine River Hotel. I am so glad that you enjoyed your visit. It is our pleasure to be professional and helpful to our guests. It is nice to hear you enjoyed our breakfast. We would love to have you back. Thanks for taking the time to review your stay, hope you had a Happy New Year.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

This was once a charming place to stay, but time has taken its toll. Unfortunately, the staff is unable to rise to the occasion when things go wrong and develop an unpleasant attitude.

Dirty pillow cases, beer caps under the bed, ripped and thin towels are a few of the inconveniences encountered. It is also worn and grimy. I appreciate a green hotel, but in this case it appears to be for the sake of economy not the enviroment.

This hotel has definitely had its day.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank t o
Alicia C, Front Office Manager at Brandywine River Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2013

Thank you for letting us know that your stay did not meet your expectations. We strive to keep our property well maintained and clean, and it is disappointing to hear that you did not enjoy yourself. We want all guests to enjoy their getaway, and to want to return. If you have a chance, could you call the hotel directly so that we could discuss some of the issues that you were having? I would like to ensure that the issues that you had would not happen again. Thank you again and Happy New Year.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

The bed and sheets were clean, the bathroom was clean, the carpet was clean.
There was an Internet plug in the room which made it easy to get high speed on the laptop without wifi.
Front desk staff was courteous. Older style hotel with actual keys for the door locks, but nothing stale, moldy, or smelly. Easy access in and out of the room and hallways. Afternoon tea and cookies was a nice touch. Morning breakfast of bagels, cream cheese, and hard boiled eggs was decent.
Seasoned travelers might be picky, but if you want to get away southwest from Phillie (20 miles) or northwest of Delaware, this is a very nice place. Excellent American revolutionary history 1/2 mile away at Brandywine battleground and a couple of other sites. Two excellent restaurants and some interesting shops right in the same complex as the hotel.

Room Tip: Room 207 (2nd floor) is quiet and faces an empty hillside.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank David P
Alicia C, Front Office Manager at Brandywine River Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2012

Hello David and thank you for staying here at the Brandywine River Hotel and taking time out to post a nice review about your stay. I was happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We take pride in having a clean hotel and a friendly staff. Chadds Ford is a very historical area, I'm glad you were able to enjoy many of the great things it has to offer. We would love for you to return. Happy New Year!

Reviewed December 23, 2012

My wife and I just spent three nights at the Brandywine River Hotel. While it is fairly modern, it lacks in room coffee makers, and compensates by offering a free breakfast and afternoon tea. Unfortunately, water for tea was hard to come by and when you did find it, it was not hot. Cookies were stale and medium quality store bought.

We did not have a good experience, as the fire alarm kept going off the first night we were there, we had noisy neighbors whom we heard thru the door to an adjoining room the second night, and the third afternoon the water was shut off for repairs.

When we arrived we noticed flower petals on the floor in the hall. They weren't removed until two days later although our room seemed to be clean. To cap things off, the hotel sent us an email asking us to tell others about our "enjoyable stay" on trip advisor!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank M N
Alicia C, Front Office Manager at Brandywine River Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2012

Thank you for reveiwing your stay. I would like to apologize for all of the inconveniences you experienced during your time with us. We had several uncontrollable mishaps that occured during your stay with us. The power going on and off and switching to the generator due to bad weather, and the water needing to be turned off for a short period of time are all very frustrating, so I understand completely and again I apologize. I can only hope that you will give us another try. Thank you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chadds Ford
Fairfield Inn & Suites Kennett Square Brandywine Valley
Hampton Inn & Suites Chadds Ford
Best Western Plus Concordville Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Chester

Been to Brandywine River Hotel? Share your experiences!