“Relaxing and cozy!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chadds Ford
Brookhaven, Pennsylvania, United States
“Relaxing and cozy!”
Reviewed January 1, 2012

We just stayed one night for new years eve and it was a perfect little retreat. King bed, fireplace, and jacuzzi were clean and comfortable. Hotel was quiet and peaceful the entire night. Staff were pleasant and courteous.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Casey K
Corinne H, Front Office Manager at Brandywine River Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2012
I am glad you enjoyed your stay, thanks for ringing in the New Year with us!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed December 30, 2011

I am a very considerate person- I put up with a lot and can deal with most situations with calmness and brevity, but my recent stay at this hotel put me over the edge. The place was overcrowded, dirty, and in need of a complete rehab. I love the fact that when we arrived there was no one at the front desk and we had to wait at least 10 minutes until we could check in- only to find out our room was not ready - this was after 5PM- I thought check in time was at or after 4 PM... a whole hour later we still can't get into our room??? It may not have been quite as bad if a loud foul-mouthed family had not been allowed to completely take over the entire lobby and I did not overhear a child saying "Look where I wiped my boger" pointing to the side of the sofa he was sitting on... The front desk girl was extremely rude- offered no apology for keeping us waiting. We got to the room - it was not the type we were booked for- so I called the front desk and she told me there was nothing she could do- they were overbooked-- well you could have told us you didn't have out room type you stupid b- not just sent us to it hoping we would not notice... I looked on the slip- we were still being charged for the larger more expensive room-- so I called back and she said she would adjust the amount- which she did. Then we started to settle into the room- the carpet is worn, furniture all nicked and dented, the TV hardly worked-- and the to the worst of it- there was hair all around the sides of the floor- (around the baseboard) in the bathroom- so obviously they did a bad job cleaning and then my girlfriend went to use the toilet and there was feces smeared on the underside of the toilet seat... totally disgusting. I brought some of the problems to the attention of the manager the next morning and she just shrugged them off. No apology, no nothing. The breakfast was minimal and cold- not a "European" style breakfast by any means- and the tip jar was a total insult. We left and will not be back- I called my credit card company to complain and they said they will investigate the situation and gave me a temporary credit... I am sure the Manager, I think her name was Lori, will lie and I will probably end up paying, but at least between that and this review she will realize that her guests are not happy... if she does not care enough to change things then that is on her...

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jason K
Trenton, New Jersey
Reviewed December 12, 2011

Stayed one night while attending an outing at the nearby Longwood Gardens. Nice clean place nice change from the chain hotels. Bed was very comfortable and mid-week was quiet. They could improve on the Continental Breakfast . Food Service Pkg Danish and very small to-go coffee cups. People were pleasant. I would stay there again and recommend it to my family and friends.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Virginia
Reviewed December 2, 2011

Our gourmet dinner group just returned from a two night stay here and had a great time. While there is no alcohol sold on the premises (they are applying for a license), we were able to bring our own bottle down to the cozy living room area and use the wine glasses at the bar.

Diane, the gal on duty at the desk upon check in, was very efficient, friendly and helpful. With four couples hovering around the desk, she was totally calm and took her time with each of us. I noticed that she did not stand around behind the desk when no one was checking in, but was over in the dining area cleaning up from the afternoon tea that is served, or folding napkins, etc. She is a definite asset!!

The dining area is clean and the wait staff cleared tables very quickly. The breakfast selection is just right -- waffles, yogurt, cereal, hard boiled eggs, etc.

This hotel is very close to Winterthur, Longwood Gardens and steps away from the Brandywine River Musem not to mention some wonderful restaurants.

Hope y'all enjoy your stay as much as we did.

Peggy from Smith Mountain Lake, Virginia

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
CA
Reviewed November 28, 2011

I've stayed here several times over the last couple years and the quality has definitely gotten worse. The rooms are worn, the heating didn't work very well, and they no longer offer wine for sale in the lobby. It smells strongly of cleaning products throughout the hotel. The place was very noisy, especially because I had a room with a connecting door. Breakfast was ok, I was happy to see that the wafflemaker was back, though the prominent tip jar is tacky. Tea offerings were sparse and the cookies rock hard. The staff was decent, not rude to me as other reviewers have mentioned. The place needs a thorough renovation and better soundproofing. I won't be staying here again.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the lobby, stairs and elevator are quieter.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank BicoastalCa
Long island, ny
Reviewed November 25, 2011

We staid one night at the Brandywine river hotel. The rooms were gorgeous! It was exactly what I expected from a the pictures of their website. The decor was little old fashioned but it defiantly added to the feel of the hotel. When we got there we were greeted by a very nice woman who was very patient with our questions and a lot of help with the area. Our room was very comfortable :)

The most horrible part of the hotel stay was something a little out of control for the hotel. The couple next to us abandoned their little yorkie in the room. The stupid dog proceeded to bark nonstop for three hours!! I called the front desk and the woman immediately contacted the owners. She also apologized profusely while putting a note on their door. The couple finally came back to the hotel around 11 pm. This was not the end of the night for the dog though. At every little sound this little beast would start yapping again.. it was one of the most restless nights!

Otherwise the hotel was beautiful and great! Just make sure that you request a room with no doggies next to you if you want sleep!

Room Tip: Beautiful stay and location
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 6, 2011

This reasonably priced hotel is a perfect place to stay while visiting the wineries along the Brandywine River Wine Trail. It is close to the wineries and has a great steak restaurant, Brandywine Prime across the parking lot. The rooms are clean and decorated in a colonial-like fashion to keep with the history of the area. This was our second stay and won't be our last!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Fairfield Inn & Suites Kennett Square Brandywine Valley
Hampton Inn & Suites Chadds Ford
Wyndham Garden Glen Mills Wilmington
Best Western Plus Concordville Hotel

Been to Brandywine River Hotel? Share your experiences!