“Need to learn about customer service and not to stereo type people.”
Review of Cashtown Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cashtown
Cashtown Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Cashtown B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I have waited over a week to write this review, as I wanted time to gather my thoughts (and did not give a 'terrible' as the building is beautiful)...I have always wanted to go to Gettysburg for the whole Paranormal experience, so our 5th Anniversary my husband took me there. I planned the whole trip (I'm BIG in to researching); around our stay at the Cashtown Inn in room 4. It was to be the big finally to our week long trip. They had very strict rules and A LOT of requirements to stay there (I kind of liked that as I thought they would be over the top great b&b). Upon our arrival, we were rushed, not told anything about the history, and taken to our room. There, we found 15 or so stink bugs around the room. I Asked one of the girls if I could have a fly swatter. She sent someone up with a shop vac, and we had a few laughs about it. After going to the local winery, we returned to over hear the tavern would be closed for a party and drinks would have to be served in the dinning area or outside. We were fine with that, but still nothing about the paranormal activity I was interested in. I asked the owner Jack about the basement, and he got rude and told us 'lets just give you a credit and stay somewhere else'. I WAS FLOORED...I have been in customer service for 25 years and own a small business, this is NOT how you treat people!! He kept saying this is MY home, and if I was not happy, he wanted us gone. Even as I type this I am shocked. Was it because my husband and I were in Harley Davidson attire? I felt stereo typed as a potential loud "biker chick", and that is not the case!! Jack - you need to learn some manners form the teenagers you have working for you and learn that speaking with a woman IS NOT different from speaking with a man. Thank you Jack for tarnishing what was the perfect trip.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
16  Thank CDHoyt
donpaly, Owner at Cashtown Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

I cannot believe that trip advisor allows these type of reviews. This guest is accusing me of discrimination. I can tell you in over 20 years I have never judged anyone by their appearence or dress. Chelsea is leaving out 75% of our conversation the evening in question. Yes we have stink bugs and apologize to every guest uopn entry during the fall, and do what we can to ease the stituation throughout thier stay. This guest was upset upon check-in(4pm) because we did not offer a basement tour which according to her she was promised. The Inn only offers house/basement tours during package weekends and never on a daily basis. They took off for about 2 hours upon their return they were informed that the tavern area was closed for a private function and her direct quote was "if I had known that I would have stayed in town". Chelsea then came into the tavern area and confronted me about the bar and the basement areas. She was told again about the situation and that she had not mentioned either on her reservation request so had not been directly told they were not available. She was visibly angry with me and the situation. That is when I asked her since after only 2 hrs she was that dissapointedwith everything in my home that I would offer her a full refund to find another establishment to spend the night. She couldn't believe that is what I said but never once was she told to leave. I explained that since she was so angry ove issues not in my control that I was uncomfortable with someone that upset staying in my home. It had nothing to do with her attire. Her guest was very understanding and happy with the refund and agreed it was just a square pe-round hole situation. I just wish people were more upfront and honest.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

My brother, good friend, and I are all college age Civil War buffs. We knew a lot about the Cashtown Inn and it's role during the battles at Gettysburg. This past summer we decide to take a trip to Gettysburg and stay at the Cashtown Inn. It was one of the coolest experiences I've ever had. We stayed in the Pender Suite which was very nice and comfortable. If you visit when the weather is good take advantage of sitting on the porch late at night. The staff was very friendly. We are going to turn this in to an annual trip. Before you go read up on the history and watch ghost hunters episode on it. It's one of those places you have to experience for yourself!

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We planned our trip to Gettysburg based on paranormal locations / B&Bs. We had no clue what was in store for us when we arrived at the Cashtown Inn. When we arrived we were blown away with how beautiful the property was as well as the main building. The wrap around porch is so inviting, and warm. Walking through the front door is like a step back in time. Its VERY well kept, clean and tidy in all the common areas. The decor is amazing (excluding the terrible towel in the tavern). We were quickly greeted by a very friendly woman to check us in and ensure we had our dinner accommodations set up. After a quick rundown of the property/building we entered our room. WOW. It was beautiful. Clean. Perfect. We got situated did a run through of the town went about our daily plans came back retired to our room and called it a night.

In the morning we were greeted in the Tavern by a man named Jack, who we later found to be the owner. We shared some fun paranormal stories and enjoyed the wonderful breakfast. Jack was very personable, polite and made us feel right at home. He is one of those people you feel as if you have known for years. After breakfast we enjoyed the porch and then checked out.

Here is where it gets really neat. We had several places we planned on staying. We went to our next destination, which was a total let down. We were not very pleased. We shared this information with Jack as we had dinner reservations to come back (yes we loved it that much) the day after we stayed there. Being the accommodating person Jack is, he offered to show us one of his vacant rooms, the Lee Suite. Let me tell you this much... I've never seen a more breathtaking room in my life. It was big, and clean, and totally out of this world. We took him right up on his offer, and like lost puppies we "returned home".

We had some random paranormal things happen in our suite that night. There were several unexplainable bumps in the walls, and thuds on the floor. The most peculiar was when our SB7 (quick sweep radio) went nuts. We use an external speaker with this device, it went totally bananas. I disconnected it, and it continued to work. Independent from the SB7. It would not work for the rest of the night.

We woke and had another great breakfast (Jack's cheesy eggs), my favorite breakfast of the trip. We also shared our story with Jack. He perked up and really seemed to enjoy it. We again shared some much enjoyable conversation with Jack and the other staff members until our check out. We spent our last night in a separate B&B but made sure to circle back to see our pal Jack and the Cashtown one more time as we headed back home. Had a great lunch (the food really is unstoppable), picked up a mug and returned. All the way home we shared our favorite parts of the trip, we both concluded that it was our friend Jack, and his Cashtown Inn.

We will be back. Without a doubt.

Room Tip: We stayed in 2 rooms, The Lee Suite as well as Room 6. Both were great!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mike L
Reviewed July 13, 2012

My husband and I spent the night at Cashtown In on July 5, 2012 in room # 2, The Imboden Room. Brig General John D. Imboden slept there on July 4, 1863. I took sleeping aids prior to bedtime so my husband could get a good night's sleep. I am up and down and all around during the night and did not want to disturb his sleep. I slept heavily all night long. My husband, quite the talker, was very quiet the next morning. As we were treated to the delicous Belgian Waffles Jack prepared for our breakfast, I wrote in our journal about our previous nights' experience,(or should I say lack of experience) and sadly had to write "no paranormal activity last night". As we started our journey home to Virginia, I finally had to ask if he was tired or just did not sleep well. His answer was quite startling. He recalled how he was awoken two different times by the sound of keys during the night. As he prepared for a good night's sleep, he had removed his bermuda shorts, wrapped his keys, belt and wallet in the inside and laid them under the vanity in the room. The next morning when he arose, the bermuda shorts were unrolled, out from under the vanity and his keys were lying off to the side on the carpet. And I slept through the whole thing. We are going back in the fall-this time he can take the sleeping aids and I will stay awake all night! Lovely stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank gail c
Reviewed June 24, 2012

I never thought i would stay st a bed and breakfast but i'm hooked on the Cashtown Inn. My husband and I,along with a great group of friends stay, at the Inn every Summer. It's our annual get away. Jack and Maria really make you feel at home. They make sure every part of our stay is enjoyable. We pretty much take over the Inn by booking all available rooms. We've taken several of the ghost tours, and the civil war sights. We go shopping and take in a few of the local bars and thw winery. This trip i even visited the land of the little horses, which was so much fun. In the evening after the wonderful meal the staff prepares, we sit on the large porch, sit on the pirch swing and enjoy the tasty drinks that Jack mixes up. The rooms are clean and have the modern conveniences (although some have no TV's) yet still hold that back in the day charm. We usually take turns staying in the various rooms but we prefer room seven, one of the outside rooms (which has a TV) that has its own little porch with rocking chairs.. I've experienced some strange things but nothing that would stop us from staying there, it just adds to our stay. The service is exemplary and the entire staff is gracious and friendly. They go of their way to make sure you are taken care of. I would recommend that if you need a nice get away, that you make a point of stopping by, if not to stay at least for dinner and a drink. I recommend the "the material girl", or if available the watermelon mojito. The Inn is great, but Jack and Maria are the best!

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 18, 2012

While exploring the Gettysburg area we ran upon the Cashtown Inn. My husband knew it from his studies of the Civil Warm as well as being used in the movie "Gettysburg". Fortunately, they were serving lunch when we stopped and we decided to stay.

It was so fresh and delicious! They are proud to note that they use as much locally grown produce and meats as possible on their menu. I had the tomato soup and my husband had the French onion soup. Both were excellent. We had salads for our main course; he the duck and I had the house - again - both were excellent. The prices were quite reasonable considering the portions of all dishes, as well as being made from scratch in their kitchen. Kudos to the owners and chef!

We were not able to spend the night, but we are definitely going to plan a trip back so we can take in the full experience of this historic Inn. The people were so gracious and we loved the atmosphere and history it provides visitors.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SSWTexas
Reviewed June 18, 2012

My husband and I have just returned from staying two nights at the Cashtown Inn. Having seen the Inn on Ghost Hunters, we booked two nights in the Lee suite, hoping for some activity. We ended up being the only guests in the inn for the two nights we were there. We had a little activity (my husband heard a woman singing while he was in the bathroom) but not a lot, which was fine. The staff was all lovely but the main surprise was the food! The restaurant downstairs has some of the best food I've ever had in my travels! Treat yourself to a night or two at the Cashtown Inn as you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: I would have rated sleep quality higher but when you're waiting for ghosts to come by and say he...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Cathi L

Been to Cashtown Inn? Share your experiences!