“Wonderful staff, stay exceeded expectations”

Days Inn Carlisle South
Ranked #7 of 27 Hotels in Carlisle
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We were traveling from Connecticut towards Virginia and needed a place to stay for the night. For our purposes this was a perfect location--near the highway and reasonably priced. We wanted reasonable comfort for a reasonable price. The Day's Inn exceeded our expectations, provided an outstanding value, and the staff was superb. The rooms were quiet and comfortable, the bathrooms were very clean, and the rooms seemed to be new/newly remodeled.

The "Continental" breakfast was excellent. They had "make-your-own" waffles, cold cereal, bagels, muffins, hard-boiled eggs, sausage patties, danishes, toast, fruit, coffee, and orange juice. It was one of the better continental breakfasts that we have had.

The only issue was that due to some storms that day, the internet was down. The staff informed us while checking in, but we were there to sleep and rest, so that wasn't an issue.

Highly recommend this hotel if you are looking to rest in the middle of a road trip.

Room Tip: Even thought the highway was just outside our window, the rooms are virtually noise proof. We didn...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WT2219
DAYMAKERS, Manager at Days Inn Carlisle South, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

Thank you for your review. We are very glad you enjoyed your stay!

Reviewed August 8, 2012

After driving around Carlisle for 30 minutes with the RoomSaver coupon guide, I was scared away from the other Days Inn (there were only two cars in the whole lot and police tape over the entrance), the Super 8 with exterior corridors, and a bit leery of the Super 8 with interior corridors. Figured since it was getting late, this hotel would be a good pick. And it pretty much was.

For the price, it was a decent room, with an extremely friendly staff. Only two gripes: one, the mattress was not too comfortable. Turned out, the morning of check-out, a crew was in replacing every single mattress. The other was the rather lackluster breakfast. From the boasting of "hot continental breakfast" or something similar, I expected something a little like Hampton Inn. Here, the breakfast was make-your-own sausage sandwiches, cereal, and not a whole lot else. I was looking for fruit but there wasn't any. Perhaps I just showed up late.

Would I stay again? For the price I paid; sure, why not?

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank encarta95

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are glad that you chose us and we are sorry for the confusion of "hot" breakfast. We have hot and cold items and fresh fruit and I would hope our hostess would have found fruit for you. Our waffles and sausage we are told are yummy. There is hot and cold cereals as well plus danish, English muffins, bagels with cream cheese and usually peanut butter & jelly. And mini muffins. We offer a very good value and not at the price of a Hampton. Remodeling is always constant and that is why I treasure reviews such as yours. Hope you give us a chance to serve you again.

Reviewed July 17, 2012

Very pleasant hotel, good beds, very nice breakfast area and descent food. Would have stayed longer but there were no rooms available on the weekend.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

Your review was a pleasure to read. Thank you for taking the time to respond. We look forward to your next visit and hope you can stay longer.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

The staff was friendly although a little slow at check in. They did get me into my room early as requested which was much appreciated. The hotel was clean, but a little on the old side. Had drinks at the "pub" in the hotel which is more like a bar in a large closet. The hotel breakfast was good and had lots of items to choose from. At 9am however the staff shut off the drink machines even though the dining area was still full of guests finishing their breakfasts. It would have been nice to wash my breakfast down with more than a shot glass size cup of oj. The location of the hotel was nice - right off the inerstate. The price however was insane due to a car show being in the area that weekend.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends

Please know that we appreciate your comments and you will be pleased to know that breakfast will now be open to 10am. Car shows here make Carlisle a resort destination and we almost always fill a year in advance and the demand for a place to stay is great causing a room to be at a premium. Hershey motels are even much higher daily during the summer and so are rooms at the shore. Special events are special but even with that said we try to keep our rates under our good competition. There a good many days in the year that are not "special." We enjoy travelers like you and offer special rates during those times.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

This "Hotel" is really just a "Motel" with a Hotel price. We paid over $90 to stay here due mostly to the positive reviews, some of them raving about how wonderful it is. The other reason was location, and this is a perfect location when traveling from Pittsburgh to New York via the Turnpike/Route 78. This establishment is proof that outward appearances are very persuasive. The landscaping and exterior are stunning. There are beautiful flowers, plenty of trees and shady parking areas and lots of expensive looking landscaping. When you check in, you look to the left and see a beautiful cafeteria area with vast windows and a high ceiling. The front desk people are very friendly and accommodating. Although I called in before the stay and requested an upper floor room away from the highway and they said they didn't have that available, somehow when I checked in they had that exact room on the 3rd floor. The place is really huge and has what seems like hundreds of rooms. The lobby and hallways areas are clean and nicely decorated. When we reached the room, however, were not overly impressed. The air conditioning was off and it was very stifling hot and stuffy and did not have a pleasant, fresh odor. The decor was not old or outdated but on closer inspection, everything was cut-rate. The desk chair felt like a child's toy chair (although it was no uncomfortable). The mattresses were the cheapest I have ever seen in any motel, including the Motel 6's I stayed in back in the 90's. You could feel the springs. The pillows were lumpy and lousy, you could feel the cotton balls. The bathroom was very small and did not even have a curved shower rod. The TV was a circa mid-90's model and was mounted right on the credenza, sacrificing lots of valuable space, which was already at a premium mostly since the circa mid-80's cube refrigerator was also haphazardly thrown right on top of the same credenza. It looked like an afterthought. Both my wife and I did not sleep well and woke up with backaches. The cafeteria is just as nice in the morning and we enjoyed eating our breakfast there. The morning checkout staff were not as nice and made me wait while they finished their conversation before greeting me. Overall, this is an average motel which needs some serious work, perhaps new management to spruce it up, parading around as a hotel. I suggest they spend less on the outside and take care of what matters more. I don't plan to stay there again.

Room Tip: 3rd floor rooms are quiet - ask for one away from the highway
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for you review. We are remodeling which is a constant process and pride ourselves on clean rooms and courtous staff. Reviews such as yours makes us glad that you cared enough to write. Feedback is always helpful.

Reviewed July 5, 2012

Bed had hair in it. Room was not well ventilated. I hate the thought of bed bugs so the first thing I did was check the beds. I didn't see anything at first glance. My two boys and my husband and I laid down to watch TV and after about 20 minutes my husband saw a bug crawling on my bed. We told the front desk. They told the maintenance guy. He came and looked at the beds and seemed very unconcerned or considerate. He did not even want to check the other bed. The manager was not helpful or concerned that we may have had bed bugs. We left. I would not recommend this place to anyone, EVER!!!!

• Stayed: July 2012
Management response:Responded July 9, 2012

We are very sorry for the stress you experienced with us. A refund was graciously given since other rooms were filled. That evening I was assured that the issue in question was not what you feared. My inspection team, after you left, combed the room and did not find any evidence with regard to your concerns. These situations are a worry for all of us in the hotel industry and for the travelers. My inspection team routinely inspects every room. They are schooled to react quickly and diligently when a suspicion arises. We pride ourselves in offering the best care we can provide and apologize if you received less.

Reviewed July 2, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised by this Days Inn. I have had bad luck with other Days Inn but I have no complaints with this one. The price was right and the desk staff were cheerful and friendly. The rooms weren't fancy but were clean and did the job. The hotel has a unique layout which is refreshing after staying in cookie-cutter Hampton Inns and Holiday Inn Expresses. The location of the hotel makes it easy to get to and close to restaurants. I definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded July 5, 2012

Thank you for your review. Hospitality is our main concern. We strive for clean and comforable rooms and happy guests. We appreciate your recommendation.