“Italian Gem” 5 of 5 bubbles

Piatto
Ranked #23 of 157 Restaurants in Carlisle
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Fairfax, Virginia
“Italian Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

Ambience was great and the food excellent in this smaller and intimate restaurant. Outdoor dining is possible weather permitting.

Visited July 2012

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Once again - Disappointment”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2012

Since my last review of Piatto, we've given it two more tries, in hopes of being pleasantly surprised and to provide fair reviews. On the first return visit we requested the dish of olives as a starter to enjoy with the bottle of wine we purchased for our meal. This olive app is on their "early dining" menu (offered until 6pm). Yes, we arrived at 6:30. And, no, I wouldn't expect an app that needed prep or cooking time to be available after their set hours. Our server said they're only available until 6. I said, "Really?" She insisted that we would not be able to get the olives. After she stood her ground on the issue, I asked if Ross was available to ask. She did ask him, and to his credit, he agreed to "allow" us to purchase the olives. Why the hassle? Take a spoon, place the olives in a dish, serve. Viola! 60 seconds to please a customer. No other issues, meal was fine, we left with plans to return again. Second return visit? Not so pleasant. Friday night, June 29: Our server was Christina - she did an awesome job - very professional, friendly, and helpful. Hubs ordered the Cioppino (an Italian seafood stew). It came to the table with three out of five clam shells unopened. How this passed review before leaving the kitchen is puzzling. For those of you that may not know, here is info from a cooking site: "If clams do not open after cooking, discard them, as it means they were not alive to begin with and may be contaminated with bacteria or toxins." Christina (server) apologized and went back to the kitchen to replace the three clams. These did not return to the table until we were finished with our meal. Blame belongs to kitchen. The other issue with the dish was the thinly sliced potatoes. Nearly raw - unable to even cut them with the fork. Surprised that this dish made it out of the kitchen, we asked who was working in the kitchen that night and was told it was Angela & Julie. These were the same two that refused to serve a side of risotto (in place of the polenta) with the Cioppino, even though we offered to pay additional monies for it. Really?
We hate complaining and never do so unless the circumstances warrant it - Ex: unsafe clams - so we didn't mention the undercooked potatoes to Christina. She had been a gem all evening. At the end of our meal,the hostess came to our table and asked if everything had been ok. Thinking she really cared and wanted an honest answer (why else ask?) we told her about the clams being bad, delivered late, and the raw potatoes. The response? "Sorry 'bout that." Then she giggled. Yes, GIGGLED! After leaving Christina a generous tip (she wasn't responsible for the debacle) we left. And that, folks, is how we ended the evening at Piatto.

• Visited June 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank mm2travel
Deatsville, Alabama
“Pleasantly Surprised”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

My wife and I went here for our 22nd wedding anniversary. She's been wanting to go here for a while but I had heard mixed reviews from a few folks who have gone and was apprehensive. We had a great meal and the overall experience was superb! I had the special; stuffed manicotti with ground veal and my wife had the scallopini marsala. Both were excellent and the waitress was extremely helpful in assisting with our wine choice (a few samples before we settled). One of my "advisees" had cautioned me on the portion size, so I ordered bread and a cheese plate. Both were excellent and the portion size was "normal." Come to find out after our meal, my friend only ordered appetizers and expected them to fill him up. I urged him to try again. By the way, the atmosphere here is Outstanding for a date night.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank B52Moose
Selkirk, NY
“A little disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2012

I had selected this restaurant with the help of TripAdvisor reviews and the restaurant's website. It was a delightful summer evening and we took the dining outdoors option which was lovely. The wine by the glass selection was great. We started our meal with a pizza which was just right. My husband selected the cannolini entree special and I ordered the pork. My husband made the better choice. The pasta was homemade and the veal filling, while needing some seasoning, was good. The sauce caused us to ask for some bread so that we could enjoy it. The pork could have benefitted from a sauce as my portion was a littel dry. The side of polenta lacked creativity - it was just a scoop on a plate.
Our server was attentive and friendly. I only wish the food had lived up to our expectations.

• Visited June 2012
2 Thank liketotravel010
Bridgewater, Massachusetts
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2012

Food, location and staff were outstanding. The bartender was knowledgeable on several topics and gave some historical advice for traveling in Europe.

Visited May 2012