“Would stay here again”

Ranked #8 of 27 Hotels in Carlisle
Scranton, Pennsylvania
“Would stay here again”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

This property was recently renovated and overall a good experience. I liked it better than the Hampton Inn next door, where I had stayed on two previous occasions and had hot water/water pressure issues both times.

The entrance is a little odd -- there is only a single-width door, and you have to push a button to open it, which is awkward when you're carrying luggage or pushing a luggage cart, and then push another button to open a second door.

We had a two-bedroom suite on the 3rd floor. Our room faced the back of the property and was quiet. The living room area was OK -- the corner gas fireplace was a nice cozy touch for our winter visit. The kitchen, bedrooms, and bathrooms were adequate and clean (although housekeeping did not empty the dishwasher). My only issue with the bathroom was that the tub is about half the height of a standard tub...good for stepping in and out of the shower, but not good for bubble baths.

The screened double-hung windows actually open. There's a stop so they only open a few inches, but at least it's enough to get some fresh air, a concept foreign to most hotels.

Our only noise issue was that our suite was located right next to something called the "mechanical room." On two occasions during our one-night stay, a startling, EXTREMELY loud rumbling sound erupted from the mechanical room, ran for about 30-60 seconds, and then shut off. Luckily it didn't happen when we were sleeping.

I rate this hotel very favorably in regard to my pet peeve, HVAC noise. The vents are in the wall and the ventilation is virtually unnoticed. Which is how it should be.

The front desk staff was friendly, but because it wasn't that busy, they tended to wander away from the desk.

I wasn't that impressed with the complimentary breakfast. The scrambled eggs were OK, but the red potatoes were cold and undercooked, and my bagel was a little stale. But it's free and convenient.

What annoyances I had were minor. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay away from the "mechanical room."
Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank A K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Carolina Beach, North Carolina
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Wow ... what a makeover. I thought that I'd walked into the wrong hotel because I have stayed here before. Now, the lobby area and dining are completely redesigned for a wonderfully special impression on arrival. The room renovation was just as impressive. Many "little" things that I had not missed before were now added and I really appreciate the thoughfulness of the new additions. Internet is faster than before, too ... and you can go wired or wireless just as easy ... no coplex logon.

Room Tip: Interior rooms are the quietest ... but other rooms are fine as well. I would advise staying on 3d f...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Al R
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We (family of 4) ended up here during a blizzard on the PA turnpike. We started calling hotels almost 3 hours earlier, and this was the only one we could get in to for the night. They reserved their very last room for us and we drove and drove and drove to finally pull in after 11 pm in the most god awful weather. They fully realized that we would most likely never stay here again, as we were merely passing through on our way to Philly and were caught in the storm the day after Christmas (while driving from Michigan). Yet they were over the top friendly from start to finish. I was pleasantly surprised to find that their breakfast was actually FAR better than what we would have found at a HOliday Inn Express. There were multiple hot items like scrambled eggs, bacon and sausage as well as waffles to make and just a slew of other foods. They were right in the middle of remodelling, and it looks like it will be nice. I heard people talking in the morning to the front desk staff. Apparently another family had sought refuge from the storm the night before also, and had attended the evening happy hour or whatever they call it. Upon learning that one of the little kids in the family had a birthday that day, the staff had (somehow! In the middle of a winter storm!) managed to make a birthday cake appear for the kid. Again, this was how wonderfully they treated all of us who were clearly not going to be returning customers. They obviously cater to business travellers and longer-term stays. I can imagine that they treat them even more like family than they treated us. Without hesitation I would say this was one of the friendliest staff groups I've ever met.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Parrish, Florida
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We were very impressed with this Residence Inn. Tristan (?) welcomed us and told us all about the hotel and its amenities. It was being renovated but we did not encounter any problems. Our suite was newly renovated - very clean and inviting. It was a Wednesday evening and there was a chicken barbeque in the lounge. What a great meal. We received a friendly greeting from the hostess (Barbara?) who was extremely nice. The meal was very good - barbeque chicken, hot dogs, pasta salad, potato salad, rolls, tomato slices, lettuce along with beer or wine, coffe, tea or soft drinks. There was also several desserts - carrot cake, baklava, brownies and cookies.
We did not notice any noise. Breakfast was good and again we received a friendly welcome from the desk clerk and the breakfast hostess. We will definately return to this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Plymouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We chose this area to stay as it is the halfway point between my parents house in TN and my house in MA. It's a long drive and my wife is pregnant with twins, so we were really hoping for a comfortable and quiet hotel for much needed rest.

Pros:
1. We were going to be arriving at the hotel around 6:30pm and would need dinner. Rather than going to a restaurant we preferred to eat in and since Carlisle PA is not a place for room service, I called ahead to ask what local restaurants deliver. Tristan was very helpful and told me it was only pizza or Chinese, which is unfortunately what I expected considering the food choices on I81. Yelp said Marcellos was the best so I called and order food to arrive when we got to the hotel. It was very nice to carry our bags into the room and have the food arrive within 5 minutes. They were right on time and pizza and salad were good.
2. As expected the room was very large. Having the kitchen and dining table was perfect for dinner. We didn't have to eat on the bed like we do sometimes in hotels in NYC or Boston. The hotel is under construction, but it seemed our room was updated already and we were not inconvenienced by the construction. I can see how this room would be perfect for families and if we ever attempt this ride again after the twins are born we would look for a room this size with the kitchen.
3. Breakfast was good. Hot food and a nice variety. Enjoyed it.

Cons:
1. Even though the hotel and staff was nice, my overall experience was negative because of the noise. This might not be a big deal to others, but we were tired and had another long drive ahead of us. We had planned to sleep until 9:00. During the night I heard other guests coming and going in the hallway. It was New Years Eve, so I assumed there would be a little extra noise, but it seemed like there was just no soundproofing between our room and the hallway. The worst though was definitely the morning. Not only could I hear other guests, but I could hear the housekeepers vacuuming as if they were right outside my door. And then it happened...even though I had my privacy sign on AND we were checking out that day, they knocked on my door at 8:15 and yelled "housekeeping". Gaahhhh!!!
2. When we checked out the front desk staff person (didn't get a name) never asked about my stay. Instead she just said "Do you need anything?" What does that mean? Uh, well I could use that extra 45 minutes of sleep I didn't get.

There are some excellent aspects of this hotel and I can't say I definitely wouldn't stay there again, but I would definitely ask about a room away from other and leave specific instructions for housekeeping!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Being a Marriott fan, I had been staying at a variety of Marriott options in the Harrisburg/Hershey area until I discovered the Residence Inn Carlisle. It's a real value.

The rooms are large enough to make it easy to spread out and work effectively. The complimentary breakfast is only fair yet it's reliable and convenient especially if you want to meet with co-workers before heading out. Their "pantry" gives a variety of options that can do the trick if you get in really late and are willing to heat something easy in the microwave.

The staff is very helpful and there is a conference room you can reserve which comes in handy.

The fitness room is very small and limited yet I have never had a time where there wasn't equipment to use. It's often very warm in there so be warned.

It's conveniently located to Ahold and to downtown Carlisle so don't miss out on trying a number of interesting restaurant spots in town.

All in all, this hotel makes for a reliable and affordable stay in the Harrisburg/Carlisle area. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Overall it was fairly good. Some of the carpet was raveling in a spot. Bed comfort was okay but needed to be a little firmer. It is a dog friendly place so that is a plus for dog lovers. The front desk was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family