“My worst hotel experience of the century”

Best Western Carlisle
Ranked #10 of 27 Hotels in Carlisle
Maryland
“My worst hotel experience of the century”
Reviewed November 18, 2009

Long story short, they gave me a smoking room when I had reserved a non-smoking room. I had reserved the room through the Best Western website and I even had the print out of the reservation showing that I had reserved a non-smoking room. The desk clerk explained that they were booked solid and that there was nothing he could do. He blamed the computer. The room reeked of smoke - it was like living in an ashtray. There were even ashes on some of the furniture. And there was no way to get any fresh air into the room. I seriously considered sleeping in my car. When I checked out of the room, all of my clothing reeked of smoke.

Smoking aside, the bathroom could have been cleaned better. And there was no coffee when I arrived for breakfast in the morning, although it eventually was refilled after about ten minutes. And there was no desk clerk present when I went to check out in the morning.

Don't bother staying here, there are plenty of other quality hotels in the area.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank KayakUSA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Pittsburgh
Reviewed August 16, 2009

We stopped here for an overnight while traveling. The front desk staff was very nice, we were able to check in a few minutes before the actual check in time. The room was clean and large, beds were comfortable, wireless internet worked very well. I did like the queen size beds, I hate when there are doubles. And the air conditioner was nice and quiet. The breakfast was adequate with waffles, hard boiled eggs, bagels, cereal, etc. My only complaint was that the only fruit was apples. The only issue we has was that the toilet clogged and didn't seem to flush totally. They did give us a plunger to use and it worked out okay. All of the staff were friendly and helpful. My kids enjoyed the outdoor pool.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
justcallmeb
Reviewed May 19, 2009

As with prior reviews, I found this hotel to be of very high standard. It was immaculately clean. My room was spacious and perfect. All trash bins were empty, toilet, shower, and sink were spotless, and beds were great. Happy to report there are no bedbugs (I always check hotel beds with a flashlight). The front desk help was so friendly. They recommended a place to get my nails done for a wedding, which was great. I forgot my showercap, and they happily provided one for me. There were no cookies upon check in (but I was there during a festival weekend-don't know if that's the reason), but the breakfast the next morning more than made up for it. Between the belgian waffle maker, hot and cold cereals, muffins, hard boiled eggs, etc, it was more than enough to be satisfied. It was all indoor coridors, and nice and quiet. Fitness room was also spotless, with towels and chilled water for those exercising. Would highly recommend to others.

Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed May 17, 2009

We stayed here a couple years ago and after we checked in I decided to check my credit card and found that they had charged someone else charges to my credit card not only that but when I went to the desk to tell them the lady said she would take care of it. Well after I was home for about two weeks it was still on my credit card. I was so mad! I called and the hotel said they would call and straigten it out. It did get corrected it but why was it not done as soon as it happened and why was it on there two week later. I would never go back for that reason. Do your job right. I have to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
VA
Reviewed March 14, 2009

I am a business traveller and I stay in hotels around 10 days a month. This Bestwestern was very clean and quite. Staff is really friendly and very courteous. The rooms are great in size and the price I paid was very resoneable. It is located next to Giant Headquarters and very easy access from Turnpike and 81. Will be coming here very soon.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Ontario, California
Reviewed April 17, 2008

I don't stay in places often and so my over all review of it would be that it was a decent price and it was clean. And though I found some of the managers/ maybe the owner(?) actions unproffesional or just a bit stingy. In other ways the hotel was very accomodating and generous. So I guess, over all, the place itself was very nice.

There were some things I really liked about this hotel. It was very clean and well maintained inside and out. The beds were really comfortable. Always clean sheets daily. Always super clean bathrooms. The cleaning crew was always friendly and conciderate. They even came back later when I slept in so they could do my room.

We came in very late and we had no trouble checking in. We were starving after the flight from California and they had free chocolate chip cookies at the desk when we arrived. And they had a list of all night places to eat so we could get a late dinner.

Oh, and they did have some items on hand if you forgot yours. My husband forgot his razor and when he went to ask where he could go to buy one in the morning, they had one for him. I thought that was great.

When we had to get a second room for my son due to my husbands snoring, they were very accomodating. though we did have to pay full price for the second room. They worked it out so that bye the next day his room was moved to directly accross from ours.

My son who is 9, loved the work out room and used it several times. Mostly for the treadmill. An athelete always has to keep his training up and he takes his football seriously even in the offseason.

They also had a free pizza night on Wednesday of our stay, and a decent though not to elaborate continental breakfast every morning.

Ok some of the things I didnt like.

Usually I like to sleep in on vacations till after 9 when they took the breakfast down. Hey its a vacation. So my husband and son would go eat before nine and then bring me back a couple eggs and a cup of coffee, when they shut it down, if there was any left , just to be nice to me.

I guess one of the employees, I'm not sure who saw him do it, began scowling at him when ever he would do this. Perhaps he thought it was all for him. I dont know. This may have been our faux pas. Maybe it's just not supposed to be done.

The other issues I had were with the manager. I'm not sure, but he may have been the owner. He yelled at the employees right in front of the customers in the halls many times during the week. I mean really nasty treatment. I dont know any job is worth taking what he dished out.

And on the last day when we were leaving This managers/ owner seemed upset when an employee at the front desk asked him if he could give us a couple extra laundry bags they give out in the rooms, wondering very loudly why we needed them.

In actuallity we had a very long drive to Virginia for a second week of vacationing and was hoping to keep our clean laundry separated from our dirty with the bags. They did eventually give them to us.

A final thought.

I have to say that of all the people who worked there. The young woman who worked the evening shift at the front desk when we first got there was probably the nicest part of the place. Very organized, proffesional, always willing to help with a smile and a genuinly nice person. Too bad she wasn't the manager.

• Liked — It was very clean and well maintained. I had highspeed internet access.
  • Disliked — The manager screaming at the employees in the halls. And the nit picking over little things like plastic bags.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
PA
Reviewed January 31, 2008

this is a nice clean hotel and we were very comfortable...but had billing issues with my debit card.....stay here but be sure to pay with cash !!!

• Liked — clean and comfortable, easy access to turnpike
  • Disliked — billing problems
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business