“Only Out for Your Money”
Review of Carlisle Bakery

Carlisle Bakery
Ranked #4 of 5 Bakeries in Carlisle
Reviewed July 18, 2014

Carlisle Bakery has changed ownership recently, and not for the better. I ordered my wedding cake there last fall (under the previous owner) and made a $176 deposit. Recently, I called off my wedding (several months before the scheduled date) and asked the bakery if I could donate the deposit to a local charity so it could provide baked goods for an event it was planning to do. I even offered to pay an extra $24 so that the charity had a full $200 worth of goods - even more business for the bakery.

The owner, Eric, agreed - through the bakery's wedding planner, whom he had made deliver the upcoming bombshell - provided that HE could dictate which baked goods the charity could buy with the deposit and the date and quantity they can order at any given time. With all those restrictions, the charity would not be able to use the deposit for any specific event. The wedding planner was crying when delivering the owners terms to me.

This bakery provided no goods and services to me, never had to order any supplies or ingredients for the cake for my cancelled wedding, and even had the opportunity to have more money given to it, and yet it wanted to control what and when the charity can buy with that money. $200 is $200, whether a patron buys a cake, cookies, or sweet rolls. It was a blatant attempt on Eric's part to make money while providing little, if not nothing in return.

This new owner is not only in it for himself, but he also doesn't understand the importance of doing right by the community in which he does business; clearly doesn't understand customer service; and doesn't have the courage to tell the customer bad news directly, instead making his employees do his dirty work.

His bakery doesn't deserve a rating of 1; unfortunately it is the lowest I can give. I give Carlisle Bakery under its new owner a zero for both customer service and social responsibility, and recommend walking or driving past this establishment.

4  Thank AJCaffarini

Reviewed April 17, 2014

We were glad we discovered this on our last day in Carlisle because we definitely would have been there more often. There were many choices and everything looks delicious.....and our cupcakes were for sure!

3  Thank clmorrisok
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Loved the homemade quiche and baked goods. Nice, spacious environment in which to eat. Friendly service. Some really creative gourmet baked goods -- think Cake Boss, and something for every budget!

3  Thank Gofar2day
Reviewed January 25, 2014

This bakery advertises dog cookies, but I have stopped by three times and they haven't had any. It's pretty clear they don't take their menu or their ads very seriously.

And the women who waited on me were so indifferent they never even asked if I might want anything besides the dog cookies...

I will not be going back.

1  Thank Peter C
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Same experience as previous writer/ small selection and terrible biscotti. Carlisle needs a nice bakery and hoped they could fill the bill but question this. service was good but selection was limited. Cute building and in good area. Maybe some promotion is needed or focus just on the cakes that were good and presented well.