“Good food,good service, what else do you require ?”
Review of Andalusia

Andalusia
Ranked #7 of 168 Restaurants in Carlisle
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

We have passed by this restaurant many times, today we decided to try it out.
On entering the establishment we were welcomed by the owner/manager and shown to our table.
The restaurant is well decorated and clean.
The food was well presented and delicious.
We thought that the meal was reasonable value for money.
Lunch time in Carlisle is very competive.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

Andalusia has been open for about six months, I am surprised it is still open.
The restaurant was decoration was leftovers from the Moroccan restaurant it used to be. The sound system was very good and I enjoyed the Spanish guitar music. There were 4 kitchen staff and 3 out front staff, with only 5 customers how do they make their money to stay in business. The food is good for the most part but the value is very poor. The menu is a mixture of Spanish and Moroccan. There are a half dozen Main courses and about a dozen ‘tapas ‘ dishes. Tapas is misleading, in Spain it refers to little bites or a snack selling for 1 or 2 Euros ($3- $5). Tapas is inexpensive and the bar owner makes their money on the alcohol sales and volume of customers. A lot of the food would sit on small rounds of bread grilled with a little olive oil. The toppings are usually cheaper foods; cheaper fish, sardine, pilchards, anchovy, squid; croquettes with various fillings, little pop over pastries with interesting fillings; offal meats; local cheeses, left over main course foods that need to be used up; and in season vegetables. One usually has several plates with a glass of wine or beer. Andalusi’s tapas range from $5 – 12, a typical price for an appetizer. There was bread on the menu at $2, does any other restaurant in the mid state, or even Pennsylvania charge for bread.
I had three plates and a desert that came to $60+, but left hungry. These plates were not big enough to for sharing. The grilled chicken on a stick came with onions and peppers, the ground lamb on a stick lists on the menu ‘with grilled vegetables’; unfortunately for me today’s grilled vegetables were the same onions and peppers. Wouldn’t a chef improvise to not serve the same side to the same customer. Both plates had flat bread that was not fresh.
Service was prompt and pleasant, not too hard with only 5 customers. I had a very good glass of wine and the white wine sangria was delicious and refreshing.
Given that food in America is so much cheaper than in Europe, and we in central Pennsylvania are blessed with an abundance of good locally sourced food I think Andalusia could provide better value for money, I doubt it will be here in another year unless changes are made.

Post script:
I returned to Andalusia on a Friday or was it a Saturday night around 9:30 pm. There was a happy hour with half price tapas and $1 off cocktails. We sat at the bar and tried several. This was very good value. I never knew of such a late (for Carlisle) night happy hour, I think they should promote this.

1  Thank Stephen H
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Cute little find in Carlisle downtown. Had the Tapas dishes and all were of good quality and taste. \Enjoyed the breads,shrimp and the chicken skewers. The theme here is Spanish And Morrocan. The room is very clean and service was excellent. Emily was our friendly and informative server that Sunday eve we visited. Nice bar and drink selection with weekday specials. The Morrocan tea and homemade cookies(try the rosewater ones !) were a perfect touch for dessert. The restaurant looks small from outside but has a spacious back room. Staff is very wiliing to explain all the selections and the dates stuffed with cheese were super. Try this place soon. when in Carlisle.

1  Thank pat b
Otwaysue, Owner at Andalusia, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

I'm glad you enjoyed your meal at Andalusia. I'll be sure to pass your kind words along to Emily. The stuffed dates are a favorite of many of our patrons. Hope you'll come back soon.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

We live in VA and visit Carlisle several times a year. We have been to Andalusia on each of our last few trips and I am so glad to see the restaurant is now on Tripadvisor so I can share our experiences.
Our first visit was in April, when the restaurant had only been open a short time. Not only was the food excellent, but we had the fun of discovering a whole variety of Spanish wines that are new to us and very reasonably priced. (the pours are generous as well). We tried several white wines while sitting at the bar before dinner (especially liked the Albarino!!). Then we moved to the cozy dining room, where we enjoyed the seafood paella and a variety of tapas, accompanied by the red wine called Bobal. We were too full for dessert, but a glass of Ximenez sherry was the perfect way to end the meal.
On a second visit in June, we were with a group of 11 friends, with diverse tastes, who were interested in trying a variety of tapas and wine. The young lady who waited on us came up with excellent list of recommendations.....everyone left happy, including the vegetarians and a few of the group who consider themselves "foodies."
Our most recent visit was in Sept. Not hungry for a whole meal, we enjoyed sharing a few tapas and some wine, sitting in the window table in the bar.
The "small plates" concept of dining has become our favorite way to sample lots of different tastes in a restaurant and Andalusia does it style! Looking forward to our next visit to Carlisle see what new tastes they are offering!

Thanks for visiting with us multiple times. We are glad you enjoyed the experience and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Our stop in Carlisle was simply a good stopping point on our way to Ohio. We had planned on eating at another restaurant in town, but alas, it was closed on Monday night (as were many other restaurants in town). Andalusia was suggested to us as an alternative, and we liked the sound of tapas, so off we went. I must say, our initial reaction was disappointment as the decor was a bit uninspired. Furniture and lighting did not create much of an upscale atmosphere. But primarily, we were here for the food. And the food did not disappoint. Since this was tapas, we tried a wide variety of things form the menu, and all were good. The mushrooms, the dates and the caramelized carrots were the real standout choices of the evening. Delicious! There was also a phyllo dough and chicken offering which was very tasty! Typical of other tapas places I've been to, the portions were small, which made the prices seem a bit high for the amount of food we received. Service was friendly and attentive.

Overall, I would recommend this place to culinary adventurers, but I would encourage the owners to upgrade the appearance and the atmosphere of their restaurant to match their "more than moderate" prices.

Otwaysue, Owner at Andalusia, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

We're so glad you were able to visit us during your stop in Carlisle. As a new restaurant, we have focused our efforts first on the food and I think we have been successful there. I agree with you that the environment could use a little help. I hope that by the next time you are in town, you will see that we have made some improvements.