“Interesting and Educational”

United States Army Heritage and Education Center
Ranked #1 of 33 things to do in Carlisle
Reviewed August 19, 2014

We spent two hours at the Army Heritage Center in Carlisle. In those two hours we learned much about the history of warfare from the Civil War to modern times. I was impressed with the materials and displays in the museum and could not read everything because many displays were high up on the wall and I'm short. This obviously was designed by a tall man. However, there probably is not enough space to show all the information properly in the museum. On the outside there are weapons from WW l and WW ll. The exhibits are spread far apart and it was a hot day so we did not see everything. I found the recreation of a trench from WW l very fascinating as I could walk through it and see what those soldiers endured. I would recommend a visit if you want a quick view of our military history. Along with this I would also recommend the air museum near Chantilly Virginia. This will also provide more information to those interested in the United States ability to fight in wars using the air versus the land.

All reviews
"information desk"
"outdoor trail"
"walking path"

Reviewed August 19, 2014

Excellent Museum. It has both a inside and outside portion. The outside trail is open daily Dawn to Dusk. There is no charge but donations are accepted. Very nice hands-on exhibits both inside and out. A lot of concise information is made available. As a veteran I enjoyed it as much as my civilian spouse who did not have the military insight that I did.

Reviewed August 17, 2014

We took our two grandchildren (5 and 10) to the Heritage Center for the day. There is both outdoor and indoor items to be viewed. The kids got to burn off their energy outside looking at all the equipment, dwellings and other buildings. Once inside they were issued a "dog tag" for a person who served. They could insert the card in a slot and learn, not only about the era/conflict, but about the individual. The parachute drop (simulated)was an exciting experience for both. They got to manuever the chute to a drop zone. Please take the time to learn from this experience. Informational signage all over the place. Kids and adults enjoyed this adventure.

Reviewed August 13, 2014

We spent about two hours walking the heritage trail. A lot of informative signs as you go from war to war to see the various tanks and helicopters. Interesting display of a trench system from World War I. Nice museum indoors and a really good restaurant.

See more reviews
Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

I have driven pass the exhibit many times and never stopped. This morning I did and what an educational event. The real displays are fascinating and informative. .
The history of are conflicts is well explained and documented. But the outdoor walking trail is great. You can get up close to many different items from the civil to current conflicts. The underground bunkers and trenches were very interesting. Best of all there is no charge. Be sure to stop when you travel thru Carlisle PA.