Red Cardinal Bed and Breakfast
Days Inn Carlisle South(Carlisle)(Great Value!)
$84
BestWestern.com
$189
$106
$199
All reviewsgreat hostshome away from homedog mollywarm hospitalitybreakfast was deliciouscarlisle areajoanne
Reviewed November 7, 2010

My husband and I stayed three nights at this b & b in late October 2010. We were visiting family nearby. Based on earlier reviews and other sources I booked to stay at the Red Cardinal and I'm so glad we did stay here.

It turned out were were the only guests at the time so we had Bill and Joanne's complete attention. Joanne is a wonderful hostess and makes incredible breakfasts from scratch. They were three course affairs including local produce such as apples.

The accommodation itself is very comfortable. The decor is cardinal themed but not overwhelming. The room is a good size and best of all the bed is comfortable and the shower has good pressure.

Bill is gregarious and provided us tips about what there was around the area. Both he and Joanne know the area very well and were happy to share their knowledge with guests.

The b & b is located on a quiet country road off Highway 174 in Carlisle though it might be closer to downtown Boiling Springs. There's a farm next door so it is peaceful. It's ideal if one is in the area for events in Carlisle or the surrounding area because it's less than 10 minutes drive to the interstate.

I also have to mention Molly, the dog. She's an amazing pet and guard dog. She's very well house trained and doesn't beg at the table at breakfast.

My husband and I were very happy to have stayed at the Red Cardinal Bed and Breakfast and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again if we need accommodation in the area in the future.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NC_Expat_Traveler
Reviewed September 8, 2010

I stayed here so I could attend the Carlisle Corvette show. Joanne and Bill have created a very special B&B in a very beautiful setting. The B&B is only about 5 minutes from Carlisle and is located in a picture-pefect rolling green countryside. There is a small creek that runs alongside the property and numerous gardens that were absolutely gorgeous.

Breakfast was fantastic and I usually skipped lunch given the generous portions. The room and house was spotless and the overall feeling is "cozy". Joanne and Bill know the area for tips on areas to visit, restaurants, etc. I have already booked my room for next year and my wife is coming with me! I can't wait!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank worldtraveler31350
Reviewed September 6, 2010

We found the place with little problem (even though we had just flown in to PHL from the UK), although it might have been harder to get the last turn correct in the dark! The hosts (Bill and Joanne) were very willing to wait up late for us if our flight was delayed. Amazing warmth and thoroughly being looked after, with breakfast on the deck overlooking farmland. Reasonable rates, with a comfortable room (ours was ground floor). Bill gave good suggestions for places to go and see in the locality having listened to what we wanted to do. We had some great conversations as well. And we saw a Red Cardinal - we don't have them in the UK.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 12, 2010

We stayed at Joanne and Billy's cozy bed and breakfast at the beginning of August and were SO pleased with the entire experience. They treated us like family, fed us incredible home-cooked breakfasts on the patio overlooking the farm next door, and those meals always lasted us until dinnertime. Every morning the red cardinals that the b&b was named for made an appearance at the feeder next to our table. We slept like babies in the cleanest, most comfortable room I have ever had the pleasure to stay in on a vacation. We felt like we arrived there as strangers and left 5 days later as old friends. They gave us lots of friendly, but not intrusive advice on things to do and places to go.

They are located in emerald green farm country only 2 or 3 miles from the beautiful little town of Boiling Springs. It was hot and humid, so Billy provided us with all the ice water we could carry every day, and Joanne baked peach bread from the juicy peaches we bought at a local farm stand. SInce I can't eat cow's milk, she went to a local farmer's stand and bought sheep milk, and sheep yogurt and sheep cheese so that she could cook for me. Amazing! When we had to get up at 3 am to catch our plane home, they got up with us, fed us and saw us off.

I spent a lot of time sitting on their little bridge over the millrace dangling my feet and watching the crawdads and fish flit by, listening to the cicadas and crickets. At night saw the first fireflies ever. But we were never bothered by mosquitoes or any other pesky bugs.

Their Border Collie Molly keeps a close eye on "her" guests, and checks in often. We had never been to Pennsylvania before, but thanks to our great experience at the Red Cardinal, we will definitely be going back.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 22, 2010

Do you remember your first kiss? Who doesn't. This was our first B&B experience and it's just like that first kiss. Billy and Joanne went all out to make Linda and I feel right at home. The country breakfast, the lovely gardens, and the peace and quiet countryside are as charming as it gets. The location was perfect for our Chryslers at Carlisle event. Local dinners were both well in our budget and the food was excellent. And if Bill and Joanne weren't real careful, they might have had to find a new dog. Linda fell in love with Molly and was ready to adopt. We'll definately keep the Red Cardinal at the top of our list of B&Bs to stay at when visiting the Carlisle area.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple