“Worst hotel experience ever.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Carlisle

Hotel Carlisle
Ranked #26 of 27 Hotels in Carlisle
Lake Ariel, Pennsylvania
“Worst hotel experience ever.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

Reserved hotel for the last weekend in May because it was the meet headquarters of the AACA, an antique automobile association. Hotel looks good from a distance and consists of main building and a number of out buildings. We were assigned room 531 in "the Carriage House" which is perhaps 75 yards from where we registered. On the walk to our room across recently mowed but untrimmed grass, the Carriage House looked badly neglected as if it had not been in use for a long time. The hallway was so dark I couldn't find the slot to insert the key card. On entry the room was gloomy, dark and depressing with worn, dark and dusty furniture. I pushed back the curtain to get some light and dislodged some serious cobwebs that attached it to the filthy window. In the bathroom the water in the toilet was brown and when we turned on the faucet the water sputtered and spit and then poured out more brown water, but that was not all. The hands towels and wash cloths were gray, spotted and stained and were, frankly, disgusting. On calling the desk for a room change the junior staff people were sympathetic and shorty a young woman appeared and offered us another room across the hall which was in an equal state perhaps worse, because the rays of sun streaming through the dirty window showed the dust I disturbed in moving around. The young staff member admitted that this really wasn't acceptable and told me I would have to return to the registration desk and speak to the manager. There I met Melissa who was already showing signs of stress from arguing with someone on the telephone. When I told her the rooms we were offered were unacceptable and that I wanted a clean room she told me that the hotel was completely booked and that she had done all that she can and that there was nothing else she could do. With that I demanded the return of my money since I had paid in advance for three nights on the Hotel website. She agreed, but after checking told me that she could not refund the money because I had booked through Expedia and that I would have to call them. When I insisted that I did NOT deal with Expedia but through their website, she produced a computer generated document that showed an Expedia reservation. Apparently, that's what happens when you book on the hotel website. You get Expeidia, whether you know it or not and the hotel absolves itself of any further action. When I told Melissa that this too was unacceptable she told me to "Get out of my hotel" pointing her finger at the door. All this was done, by the way, without my ever raising my voice. I left, found another motel down the road and turned the matter over to American Express who told be they would contact Expedia. In sum, the hotel is filthy, the senior staff unprofessional and it my intention to send similar letters to AAA which "approves" this hotel, the Carlisle Board of Health and Chamber of Commerce and any other body I can think of that can do something to get them to clean up or go out of business. Ron and Ania Doviak

Room Tip: Go somewhere else! Go ANYWHERE else!
Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank ron d

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Cedar Key, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

We were passing through Pennsylvania on our way North from Florida and asked a local where they'd recommend to stay? We said we wanted a place that had a restaurant within the hotel so we wouldn't have to leave to go out to eat.

I'm not sure if this local was playing a joke on us or not, but if I was to see the person again, I'd punch them in the mouth for this recommendation.

Upon pulling up, my travel partner and I both chuckled that it looked deserted as the place is huge, and I mean HUGE, with multiple buildings covering multiple acres, but only having 5 cars in the parking lot and the grounds are in serious needs of a landscape company trimming the bushes, weed whipping and just general maintenance.

My friend went in and made the reservation, and I suggested we find a different spot, but he said the front desk staff was nice enough and said the restaurant bar was open and serving dinner. It was Sunday night and was getting dark, and neither of us wanted to be driving in the dark.

We parked the truck and grabbed our bags. As soon as you walk into one of the hallways, you get this creepy feeling because the hallways are super long, very dimly lit and smell of a damp, musty smell.

We both agreed that if our room was this way, we'd just go ask for our money back and look for a different place to stay. Luckily, and I say that after reading the other reviews, we had a nice room that was well maintained, had steaming hot water and fresh linens. Our room had two double beds, small refrigerator, A/C unit that I pulled the filter out and set aside as its screen hadn't been changed in months, but otherwise the room was accommodating.

We dropped off our luggage and headed down to the restaurant. The hallways again are just creepy as they're so long, so dimly lit and there wasn't another sound in the entire motel like we were the only ones staying here, and it has about 400 rooms. Gave me the creeps like we were in the movie 'The Shining'

I checked out the pool area, but the smell of chlorine was so strong, my eyes burned just walking into the enclosed pool room. That's a shame because the pool looked very nice.

The bar was nice enough with a friendly bartender. Food wasn't all that great, but by this point, I was just figuring we'd drink enough to sleep through anything.

At one point during dinner, I went to the bathroom and was overwhelmed by the smell of nastiness. I looked into the stalls as the doors were all open and each toilet was filled with poop. I covered my face to try and flush one of them to hopefully make the smell go away, but the water was turned off to the bathroom?? YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!!

I left and went outside to relieve myself in the bushes.

When we got back to the room, I was telling my friend about the bathroom, and he started looking up the reviews on Tripadvisor. Why we didn't do this before hand is still a mystery to both of us. The rest of the night was spent laughing hysterically as we read the reviews aloud to one another.

I even went as far as calling my wife to ask her to look up the reviews just so she could laugh at where we were staying. She questioned why we were staying there, but by this point, all we were going to do was sleep and leave early in the morning.

This place either needs a management company to take over, clean the place from top to bottom and update it's decor and grounds, or hit it with a wrecking ball.

As a hotel and business owner myself, I cant figure out how the Health Department hasn't shut them down at this point. Our health inspector checks over our place with a fine-toothed comb, so either Pennsylvania doesn't have a health department, or their local representative has some stake in this hotel to keep it's doors open.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Carlisle hotels

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

Stayed May 8, 9, 10 2013
Pros:
Air Conditioning worked, Had hot water, had safe, hair dryer, iron, ironing board and refrigerator.
Cons:
No Kleenex, even though there was a hole in the wall for it
No hand/safety rails on the shower
Cheap small soap and shampoo packets.....no hand lotion or conditioner
Thin grayish towels
Hard thin mattress, no extra blankets
No TV guide or channel guide
Killed several stink bugs in my room
Toilet paper was as thin as tissue paper
TV was old tube type

I guess I would expect this from a $50/night hotel, but not from a $95/night which I paid and that was even with a discount. There is no way this was worth the money.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Summit
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

I went there a couple years ago, and it was nice. I decided to go there again because it was the only hotel that was available that took dogs. I got the room for $56. When I got into the room, but the door would not open on the first try. The bathroom door slider door was broken, the bottom was not attached. I went down to the pool; it was FREEZING! The hot tub was kinda cold for a hot tub and it didn't work at first. Also, the hallway to the pool was freezing! When I went to bed, my bed smelled like cigarettes and it was a no smoking room. The beds had springs in them that kept poking me in the ribs. The pillows were WAY too soft, and they only supplied two. The lamp in my room was broken, and so was the sink in the bathroom. The outside door didn't lock, so I did not feel very safe. The location was okay, right off the turnpike. However, the remote control was missing, which made it hard to change the channels. There was a claw machine, which I wasted half the quarters I had because it wouldn't take them and it wouldn't give them back. BTW, don't play the piano, they wont let you.

Room Tip: Just don't- just don't go.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Atlantic Highlands, NJ
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

I booked through Expedia for 2 nights to attend Fall Carlisle. Mistake #1. No hot water either morning. The would not give a refund or discount because the hot water got fixed later in the day on both days. The owner Farouk would not return calls, the front desk said I had to talk to Expedia, Expedia said I had to talk to the hotel and my credit card company would not do anything because the hotel told them there was hot water. (Yes there was, just not on either morning!) What was once a nice hotel is being run into the ground.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Mike B
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

We stayed at the Carlisle Hotel and Conference Center for 2 nights on March 8 & 9, 2013 and I came home with red, itchy bug bites on my abdomen and legs. Also, I killed a large bug in the bathroom. Overall, the hotel is filthy. We were forced to stay there because our son participated a PA state scholastic chess tournament at the hotel. The "white" towels are grayish and worn out, the food is inedible, and the lighting is poor. Even worse, the public bathrooms are a disgrace. They are disgusting and should be condemned. A health inspector for the State needs to investigate this establishment and shut it down.
On top of this, the staff is surly, the internet was down, and our room reaked of cigarette smoke.

Room Tip: It is not possible to choose a good room. They are all dirty and disgusting.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank SandraD144
Springbrook Twnshp
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

Wish I read these reviews before I went there--Here's my story-and I plan to report them and also the BBB. Well picking up Matilda was the best of the whole trip. Two hour drive down to Carlisle--not bad at all. Got to hotel and lobby was absolutely freezing. Got key and drive to door we had to go in. Hallway was as cold as lobby and my nose froze walking to our room. OK--gotta pee, lol, 2 sheets left on tp roll--so changed that. Now I've been watching the Jodie Arias trial on TruTV and HLN. Remote does not work--looked and batteries are corrided. Paper of tv channels did not match up at all. Called front desk. They brought new batteries and NEW channel listing. OK--remote still did not work. Called again and would bring new remote over...tick tock tick tock...OK no HLN only CNN. I'll suffer. Went to go online cause I have to keep in touch with the transport. BAM--COULDN'T GET ONLINE. Called again, IP guy left at 4pm if I'd like to go to lobby and try--oh yeah drive over every so often and freeze--yeah right. Now I'm really pissed. We get dressed to go for dinner at hotels "Embers Steakhouse". Froze walking thru lobby again only to walk in restaurant--4 tables set up near bar area with only the bartender there. Other part of dining area was in darkness. Sat down and asked if this was it--yes--pulled coat tighter to me and said NO THANKS I'm not eating with my coat zipped up to my neck and gloves on--walked out. Stopped at desk to pick up new remote they never delivered. Drive aound looking for another restaurant--nothing but McDonald's and Arby's. Saw Country Club Diner--well let's go in--starving. Sat down and guys in back of my booth talking about strippers--OH GREAT. Ordered and was DELICIOUS- had a prime rib dinner and cheese cake; Vito had baby back ribs fall of the bone. Got back to room ready for some beers--go to ice machine--NO ICE. Called desk again; guy came over with tiny bucket. Played games from installed games on laptop--so exciting-finally went to bed. Got up, went for tissues Mind you again--two wall containers--EMPTY, left, had breakfast and got our Matilda. NEVER STAY AT THE HOTEL CARLISLE (CONVENTION CENTER)

Room Tip: "Only advice is not to stay here."
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple