“STAY AWAY”

Ranked #13 of 27 Hotels in Carlisle
scranton pa
“STAY AWAY”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

we went for corvette show
boy did we make a mistake
wallpaper falling off wallpaper falling off walls
unbearable strong mold smell
breakfast a joke
bandi at front gave us another room not much better
very upsetting stay
if we had not paid ahead we would have run

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank betty n

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Miami, Florida
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Called the hotel directly to make reservations. Visiting Gettysburg and hotels in that area were packed or overly priced. My first experience with the manager was pleasant and professional. Requested two rooms and received a " manager's special " rate.
Long story short, rooms were damp, smelly, paint falling off the walls. Shower room was full of mold and never quit clean. Non-smoking room smelled of cigarette smoke.
Since I had a great rate the manager could not, would not move us to the inside of the main building. To boot, extremely noisy room, from the a/c. to the road a few yards away. I tell you, forget this place if you have a choice. Reading some of the reviews on this page, I do not feel alone in my sentiments. Feel bad for the family that runs the place. But there is a difference between value and low cost and get what you can for the room and run....away from clients complaints or minimum standards of cleanliness.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, maybe ask for a room inside the main building. They say all of the rooms have...
3 Thank SemperF

Travelers are raving about these Carlisle hotels

Griffin, Georgia
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I don't know what your definition of "newly renovated" is, but this place is filthy!! The air conditioning unit was propped up on 2x4's. The linens (sheets, pillowcases, washcloths, and towels) were very dingy and looked like they had not been laundered in quite a while; bedspreads were stained; pillows were covered in yellow, dingy stains.....I could go on and on, but suffice it to say that if I had not been so tired and it was so late, that I had to rest, I would have demanded a refund and left immediately! There is no way I was going to partake of their "complimentary breakfast" with all the grime and filth I had already experienced! The health department really needs to shut this place down! They give a bad name to the Choice Hotels Properties and should not be members of this group!

2 Thank sandra f
Dahlonega, Georgia
Reviewed July 10, 2013

On a recent road trip, we decided to drive as far as we could on the first day of our return trip. Big mistake (I usually do an itinerary with a nightly stopping point mapped out...and a hotel reservation made at an adequately-researched property. Boy, do I wish I'd stuck to my normal way of doing things this time!) At 10:30 pm on a Sunday night, after almost 9 straight hours of driving (through horrible traffic and some even worse thunderstorms) we decided to pull off I-81 in Carlisle, PA. We'd stayed at other Choice Hotels properties (Quality Inn & Comfort Suites) on this trip and had a fabulous experience. We knew that EconoLodge is at the lower-priced end of Choice Hotel offerings...and that would mean a more basic lodging experience. HOWEVER, we didn't anticipate that it would mean disgusting and dirty! The sign out front says "newly renovated". The lobby should have been our first clue. No way has it ever been renovated. As for our rooms, the only link to "renovation" we saw was the three 2 x 4 pieces holding up the A/C unit in each of the rooms my family occupied. The rooms could be called "shabby" at best. Nothing new and updated about them - peeling wallpaper in bathroom, cracked lid on the toilet tank. However, the worst part was the apparent lack of housekeeping. We pulled back the sheets on the first bed and found small black hairs. We then pulled back the sheets on the other bed and it appeared clean, although a little rumpled. That appearance could've just been from sheets not being promptly removed from the dryer (we were so exhausted we chose to believe that was the case!) There were a couple of rings on the nightstand left by a wet glass or can - so obviously it hadn't been properly wiped down after the previous tenant. We debated on sleeping on top of the bedspread - but closer inspection of the stains on it led us to choose the suspiciously-rumpled sheets. But we did decide to sleep in our clothes. The second room occupied by my family was in similar condition. The towels in both rooms were dingy. About 6:30 am the next morning, after not getting much sleep, we decided just to leave. No shower, no toothbrushing - we just had to get out of there! When we stopped off at the front desk to complain, we had to wake up the elderly man behind the desk. We tried to express our concerns but he had poor English and seemed not to understand. In the light of day, we could tell the lobby area was in even worse shape than it appeared the night before; a wall mirror looked like it had never been cleaned, there was a line of mold on the ice machine. This place is a health department nightmare! DO NOT STAY HERE!

Room Tip: Someone needs to teach this hotel owner how to clean!!!
1 Thank gahappytraveler
Plainfield, Indiana
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Newly renovated, a sick joke. Filthy pit not fit for humans!!! Room stinks like smoke & sewage! Cottage cheese ceiling - peeling. Carpet - filthy, looked like they changed oil in a Peterbilt in there. Ceiling tiles in bathroom - don't match. Bathroom - filthy. Toilet - filthy. Wash basin - dirty with hair in sink. Shower plumbed backward, hot was cold, cold was hot. Non-smoking room - heavy, stale smoke smell. Cord to floor lamp had been cut and was "wire-nutted" together. Outside, the place and paint looked good & new from a distance. However up closer, it appeared that cigarette butts & small trash hadn't been picked up in years. Paid $80.65 to stay one night in July, 2013 and feel ripped off. Had we not been so tired from driving 14 hours, we would have put our stuff back in the car and left. By the next morning after a night of little, very poor sleep, we wished that we had. This place should be condemned and closed!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!
1 Thank D M
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Staff was courteous and very accomodating. Room was very clean. Continental breakfast was a plus. The price was excellent. One little nit-pick was a piece of curled wallpaper in the bathroom but the room itself was very clean. I would GLADLY stay here again.

Room Tip: Located on a very busy truck route so request a room at the rear of the motel.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Vermilion, Ohio
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We booked a room on expedia, and asked for a non-smoking room. The room we were given at check-in did not have a non smoking symbol on the door like other rooms had. The room smelled like smoke. We went back to the desk to ask for another room, and the man at the desk argued with us that this was a non-smoking room, and the previous occupant must have smoked. He continued arguing that this was a non smoking room, even though we told him that the door didn't have the non smoking symbol on it. Honestly, I don't care whether the room was a non smoking room or not. The room smelled like smoke, I'm a customer and asked for a non smoking room. Don't argue with me, just move me to another room.

Finally, the man did give us another room. The room was fine, but not spectacular. We had an issue with the light over the sink. It was a florescent bulb and it kept flashing rather than turning on all the way. Finally we called the desk and while we were gone for the day, they replaced it.

I did not like the shower. The first problem is when I got in, the walls had dirty water marks on them, so they were obviously not cleaned after the previous guest left. Also, the previous guest used the courtesy shampoo bottle and left it in the shower, and it was still there. If the maids don't pick those up, what else aren't they cleaning? Second, the shower allows the water to spray out onto the bathroom floor, then it comes under the door to the carpet outside the bathroom. I put down a white towel to soak it up, and when I looked at the towel, it was brown from the dirt on the floor.

Another strange thing about the hotel is that it has a main building with rooms you enter from the inside, but then it has a few outside buildings where you enter from the outside. If you're in an outside building, you have to walk over to the main building for breakfast and ice and stuff. The people at the desk look at you like you don't belong there when you walk in the front door. When we were checking out, my boyfriend and I came in the front door, and he went to the desk to check us out, and I went to the breakfast area to grab us something to eat. The desk man ran over and asked me what room I was in. He had such a heavy accent that he had to ask me three times before I understood what he said, and finally told him. I felt like he was going to yell at me for coming in and eating their free breakfast, as if I wasn't actually a hotel guest. I shouldn't be accosted like that.

As far as having a place to stay for a reasonable amount of money, the hotel was ok, but if I found a good deal elsewhere, I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple