“Not up to Hampton Inn standards, disappointing.”

Hampton Inn Carlisle
Ranked #1 of 26 Hotels in Carlisle
rapid city
“Not up to Hampton Inn standards, disappointing.”
Reviewed June 21, 2009

We always stay at Hampton Inns and always will. They are the best, but this one needs work. Smells moldy and damp and doesn't feel or smell clean. Staff very nice. I wouldn't believe this was a Hampton Inn if it weren't for the sign.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank razortupence

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Virginia
Reviewed April 19, 2009

We recently spent two nights at this hotel. For the money, it was very nice. The rooms were clean and the staff were very helpful. The breakfast was more than adequate. The night before we checked-in we stayed at a Chase Suites in Hunt Valley, Maryland. It was the opposite (dirty rooms, bugs, etc....). The Hampton Inn is proof that you can find a clean and decent room without spending a fortune. Hilton is doing a good job with this chain (Hampton Inn).

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Benz8275
Connecticut
Reviewed July 16, 2008

Made reservations with a credit card several weeks in advance to stay here on our way back from a long road trip with two kids under 6. The kid were looking forward to a chance to swim before the next leg of the journey but unfortunately they didn't get the chance.

We were running late in our travels so we called from the road to let them know we would be checking in late. They asked if we had secured the room with a credit card and when we said yes they told us there wouldn't be a problem. If only.

We arrived three hours later and when my husband went in he was told that three rooms were unavailable because a pipe burst and so we were being sent downtown Carlise to the Comfort Inn. Here it was11:00 at night, we have two kids in the car and were were sent elsewhere. If that had been the real reason I would have been less angry but something didn't seem right about their excuse.

I was angry for a number of reasons so I called back. THIS time I was told that the rooms were overbooked. Although they were apologetic:
-they should have told us that when we called in the first time to confirm our rooms. I wouldn't have been happy but at least we could have changed our travel plans and made arrangements that we wanted
-If I had wanted to stay at the other hotel I would have reserved that myself. I chose the Hampton Inn because it gives my kids a chance to swim before getting in the car for a long ride. The hotel we ended up at did not have a pool.

I was very disappointed in the way this was handled.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank akb8a
Ohio
Reviewed July 13, 2008

My family and I stayed here for 3 days while visiting our daughter and were very happy with everything. Easy to find and right off the turnpike with a nice indoor pool. We tried a less expensive motel accross the road for one night because we were trying to save some money but paying more to stay at Hampton was well worth it.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — bathroom too foggy when showering
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Senger
Newtown, Connecticut
Reviewed May 24, 2008

This is my original review. Please see addendum below:

Nestled just off a turnpike exit and across the street from a truck stop one finds this Hampton Inn. Booked via the corporate web site w/ AAA rate @ $116 + taxes = $126. Now the bad news. Leaky ceiling throughout the main lobby (watch out for the peeling plaster and pails on the floor). No key cards - all guests must be escorted (yes, think "Dead Man Walking")to their rooms. That means long waits for the reception desk at check in and whenever you return to the hotel. Arrive at the second floor and you are greeted by a fetid smell (think a late night poker game - sweaty old men and their stale cigars). Your escort opens your door and voila - a bed with a comforter on it that has bumps and lumps as if their are small animals under the cover. The bathroom has a shower curtain with more water stains than you could think possible. And towels you might ask. As an anti-theft tool, these towels are old and rough - couldn't even use them to wash your car let alone dry yourself off. We thought a rear room would guarantee some peace and quiet. Nope, not here. Anytime a door is shut on your floor, the walls in your room seem to move. The exercise room is a ten by ten foot closet, without ventilation (you break a sweat just trying to breathe in there), no towels, no water cooler, and three antiquated pieces of equipment. The breakfast - that was as expected - no better , no worse. All told - this Hampton Inn needs a TOTAL overhaul. Until then, haul yourself over to another establishment that is willing to invest in itself in order to better serve its' guests.

Addendum:
I was asked, independent of my Tripadvisor review (see above), to fill out an online feedback form by the hotel chain. I was honest and to the point, and covered much of what was stated in the review. Several days later, I received a phone call stating that I would be receiving a full refund of my bill, and asked if they can do anything else. My next month's credit card statement revealed a full credit to my account. I never asked for my money
back, but finally - a business that is true to its' advertising - a
"real" 100% money back guarantee. Hampton Inn deserves some kudos for this.

• Liked — 100% guarantee
  • Disliked — the fact that our stay deserved to be refunded
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BroadOakPS
Virginia
Reviewed March 30, 2008

The entrance to this Hotel is a little tricky. I could see it when I came off the turnpike but missed the turn and felt a little stupid. By the time I got there I was a little frustrated and I think the desk girl could tell. She was very attentive and friendly. I told her I had problems finding the entrance and she said she was sorry and assured me I was not the only traveler who missed the turn. She then told me exactly where my room was and told me to call the front desk if I needed anything else. I got to my room and realized I forgot my toothpaste! I called the desk and she personally brought me toothpaste and a bag of cookies! My room was very clean and when I passed the housekeeper in the morning she smiled a shy smile and said good morning. The breakfast was a nice hot breakfast and the breakfast staff was really nice too! I had time to work out in the fitness area and though it wasn't very large, it was private and I had a nice work out. When I returned to my room the maid had already cleaned it! I stayed here for 3 nights and felt very comfortable the limited time I was there. I will definitely go back. This isn't a cheap hotel, but the staff makes it a nice place to stay and it is worth it to pay a little more for the little extra's you don't get at a lower priced hotel.

• Liked — Clean room, Friendly Staff
  • Disliked — Missed the turn to Hotel!
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
New Jersey
Reviewed March 30, 2008

We stayed overnight at the Hampton Inn while visiting Dickinson College. It's a very nice Hampton, very clean rooms/bathrooms, with comfortable beds and bedding.
My only complaint is that the a/c-heating unit is rather loud.
It has the usual continental breakfast and the hostess was really pleasant.
We'd stay again.