“Comfortable and professional”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Pittsburgh - Southpointe
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Canonsburg
“Comfortable and professional”
Reviewed July 2, 2012 via mobile

Nice rooms, friendly staff, well priced and just a comfortable place to stay outside of pittsburgh

• Stayed July 2012
, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Pittsburgh - Southpointe, responded to this review, July 5, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay at the Homewood Suites - Pittsburgh/Southpointe! We take great pride in providing a comfortable stay with excellent service while making you feel like you're a member of our family. We hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
McDonough, Georgia
Reviewed June 26, 2012

This HS was a welcome familiar face after an incredibly long day. We checked in just before midnight, and the clerk was as cheerful as if we had walked in the door at 6 pm.

Our room was just right - looked like the vast majority of other HS we have used. The laundry worked, we had paper towels under the sink, and since we brought our own oats, we found out the stove top works too!

This location was pretty far off from the city, but we were glad since we were coming from OH.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Pittsburgh - Southpointe, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay at the Homewood Suites - Pittsburgh/Southpointe. Our staff tries to welcome all of our guests as though you a friend in our home. I'm happy to hear that you found your room to be comfortable. We hope to see you again soon when your travels bring you through the Pittsburgh/Canonsburg area.
Diane Keally
NJ
Reviewed April 4, 2012

This one ends our streak of good stays at homewood suites across the country. I think they barely make the homewood grade. A few issues we had over the 3 days we stayed there:

- Inspite of repeatedly requesting them over phone, cribs were still not ready for our twins. After 30 mnts of checking in and calling the front desk, somebody brought the cribs to the room and left it at the door (Do It Yourself , after 7 hrs of driving !)
- No Center table and chair in the sitting room. No writing desk in the bedroom. Small LCD TVs.
- Stale breakfast. Scrambled eggs with a dry layer on top. No bread served at breakfast for 2 out of 3 days.
- Key card kept expiring. Had to walk up to the front desk twice, at 11 in the night.
- Even after informing the front desk that we would checkout an hour late, a bouncer knocked the door and asked us to leave !!

Room Tip: Try taking a room closer to the elevators since expiring keycards is a common problem with this hote...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank tanej
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review of your stay at the Homewood Suites - Pittsburgh/Southpointe. I'm so sorry that your stay as less than satisfactory. We are now under new management and have made changes to improve the quality of service and product that we offer. I hope that you will give us another try when your travels bring you back to Pittsburgh. Feel free to personally contact me at the hotel and I will be happy to ensure that your next stay is EXCELLENT!
Diane Keally
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed February 29, 2012

We stayed here on President's weekend 2012. Very nice hotel, exceptionally quiet.
Negatives:
1. only a few dishes in kitchenette. No paper plates, etc in lobby..they use glass dishes. Also, no dish soap and trash bags were tiny and not the best for a kitchen.
2.the cholrine in pool area seemed extra strong. Eyes burn just sitting in pool area
3. virtually no street signs in area leading to hotel (if coming from the north).
4. No stores nearby. Drove and drove to get to store to bring back dinner. Should have stopped in Pittsburgh and picked up food and supplies before heading to this hotel. I am used to Hampton Inn and expected that there would be paper products in the lobby. There was not.

Positives:
1. Very comfortable. Felt like an apartment not like a hotel room.
2. Exceptionally quiet.
3. Very nice area
4. Staff is very helpful
Definite business opportunity for someone to open a drug store or grocery in the area.

We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Apopka, Florida
Reviewed February 16, 2012

The location of the hotel is a little odd, it's within a business district...however within that business district is the ice rink where the Pittsburgh Penguins practice and farm teams play games. The hotel room was spacious, clean, comfortable and very quiet. The staff was very friendly and a complimentary FULL breakfast (NOT the typical free continental breakfast) is served every morning. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Dallas, TX
Reviewed January 20, 2012

I was here for the weekend as my regular hotel in Downtown Pittsburgh was sold out due to the Steelers game.

As others have mentioned it is a recently built Homewood Suites, the room and public areas are gorgeous and well maintained, I have stayed in the Brand a lot, and this is by far the best one I have stayed in. It could easily be a 4 star Hotel, in fact the Suite I stayed in, I could see costing 4 figures a night if I was in somewhere like New York or London – see the photos

It is in the Middle of an Industrial Park, so if you are unfamiliar with the area, probably best to get directions beforehand – or even better use GPS. There is not much directly close, but several places within a drive, if you are here on the weekend, the one thing -it will be is quiet!

As a hotel it was great, so where were the problems?

As a Hilton Honors Member I typically check in online beforehand, where I can select my room, sowhen I get there it’s just a case of hand over my ID/Credit Card, grab room keys and I am on my way. I just booked the standard room but during online check in I was given the option of their Whirlpool Suite, so I thought “what the heck”.

I arrive - the receptionist took my info, but instead of handing me the keys, she started typing like crazy on the keyboard. After doing this for a good minute, I ask if there is a problem, she suddenly says “No No” and then hands me my keys, I feel almost reluctantly.

When it came time to check out, as a Diamond Member I can get a late checkout (Subject to availability) but I have *never* had a problem at any Hilton brand in getting at least 1pm, even when the hotel in question was full – until now. I called down, and was immediately declined. I hate the pull “Status card” so to speak, as I know it comes up in the Hotel System, also I think it stinks of “Don’t you know who I am?”, but they “Generously” gave me an additional 30 mins. I would understand if they were busy, but when I came to leave the lobby was dead and the car park was 25% full

Its probably my mind playing tricks on me, but at check-in and check out I was left with the distinct impression that I was given a room that the front desk didn’t feel I was “entitled” to, so they were going to treat me accordingly. I will concur that HHonors status does not get you a room upgrade on the Homewood Suites brand, but I am not going to turn one down if offered via online check in.

As far as rooms go, in the immediate area you probably are not going to do much better – but having a fantastic modern hotel isn’t going to help you, if you don’t have the staff to back it up. If my plans call for me to be in the area I will probably look at other options

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Pataskala
Reviewed January 6, 2012

We stayed here for New Years Eve, as it was pretty much the only decent hotel with availability at the time. The rooms were very nice and spacious. Was really nice to have the kitchen and extra sitting area to hang out in before the festivities. The staff wasn't super friendly, but I attribute that to being overwhelmed as I understand they were later overbooked and had to find other accommodations for some guests.

The location of this hotel, although convenient off of 79, it still seems kinda remote. The reason for our visit was to go to Meadowlands Casino. It was within a reasonable distance. But we were told that the hotel shuttle only offered service within a 5 mile range (casino 5.7 miles) and no taxi's would come up to the hotel. Because of this, we will likely not return to this hotel if we go to the casino again (probably not, that's another review). However, the good news is, they must have had so many requests that night that they later called us and said that they would be running a shuttle to the casino for the rest of the night. So good for us, although he was a horrible driver!

Room Tip: Our friends had room 508. This was right next to the elevator which they heard the "ding"...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Canonsburg
Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh/Southpointe
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Pittsburgh SW - Southpointe
Hyatt Place Pittsburgh South/Meadows Racetrack & Casino
Hampton Inn Pittsburgh-Bridgeville
Hampton Inn & Suites Pittsburgh-Meadow Lands
Homewood Suites by Hilton Pittsburgh Airport Robinson Mall Area, PA

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Pittsburgh - Southpointe? Share your experiences!