“obnoxious staff, NO A/C, you won't get what you pay for!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Riverside Inn

and 1 more site!
The Riverside Inn
Conneaut, Ohio
“obnoxious staff, NO A/C, you won't get what you pay for!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

We were recently at the Riverside Inn (and will be the LAST time) for a wedding. The so called "planner" is a joke...when the bride arrived the tables weren't set up, the garden was set up for a wedding the FOLLOWING day, not for the wedding that day!! The "planner" allowed the appitizers to run out....butchered the cake, and didn't return items previouls told to be returned.
As for an all inclusive price (and over priced I might add); the bride and her friends had to set up and clean up....the dining room, guest rooms and common rooms were sweltering....it's 2012....no air conditioning! ?
No elevator, and very poor handicaped accessable accomodations!!! Steps, steps, steps. Not everyone can climb stairs!!!!!!!!!!
My daughter was ill from the food....my poor 84 year old mother couldn't eat due to the toughness of the steak. The wait staff was aweful....My brother didn't even get his food until everyone was nearly finished eating.
The bartender had an attitude (re: only a small part of the obnoxious staff)...apparently a title of bar manager allows him to think he can run the show....horrible attidude; espicially considering the COST!
I can not wait to spread the word to friends and family to stay away, far away from the Riverside Inn!

Room Tip: Don't stay! That's my best tip....you'll get heat stroke! Don't stay! Too many bu...
10 Thank Lori S
The_Riverside_Inn, Manager at The Riverside Inn, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
We are sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied with the services that were provided to you during our time with us. We appreciate all feedback from our customers, and value the opinion of every guest. We constantly strive to improve our customer service, and find your comments very helpful in this effort.
We sincerely hope that you will visit us again, and give us the chance to change your opinion about the services we provide. Thank you again for your feedback!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2012

I was here for a wedding. I love old things and was excited for this. When you first drive up it is impressive looking. However, the front desk ignored us for awhile. The wedding (outside) was nice. Everyhing smells musty. The worst, however, was the room. Everything was dusty as if the room had been sitting vacant for months. The bed was awful- the box spring was broken. The room was shoddily put together- there's wood trim at the bathroom sink instead of a sealant. It was just weird. We could barely sleep because the bed was so uncomfortable. The reception was weird- they brought out punch but not nearly enough glasses or drinks for everyone. The food was ok. The free breakfast in the morning was a joke- it is a big hotel and nobody tells you where the breakfast is (it's next to the check in) we spent 30 minutes trying to find out where the breakfast was (because god forbid someone work the front desk) and then, an employee points to where the breakfast area is. We walk over and are right behind someone getting coffee (the drinks are outside the door). They walked into the dining area. I got coffee and they literally shut the door on my face when I tried to walk in!
The entire staff was rude, didn't care when I complained about the bed, didn't care when I complained about having the door shut on my face for breakfast, etc.

Also, if you dislike spiders, beware, because spider webs are EVERYWHERE. In the rooms, in the porch, etc.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank stellarxpurr
Conneaut, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2012

My wedding and reception dinner had been planned here for more then a year! Christy seemed to know at the time what she was doing so i had complete faith in her. I arrrived the morning of my wedding to find the table diagram was completely different, so with some questions was put the way it had been planned. As the day went on...it only got worse! I had many questions throughout my few hours before my wedding and the wedding planner was gone getting a hair cut and no one else around this place had a clue about anything. The ceremony went nicely but the was made to feel rushed from doing pictures afterwards because another wedding for the next day was waiting in a large group along with the "wedding planner". The appitizers we great but running out and being told "sorry thats all you ordered and there are no more" was BS i took the advice of the "wedding planner" whom i trusted knew what she was doing. The in the middle of dinner I see 2 of my guest do no have meals, I questioned this to a waiter and sit back down. Then I was pulled from my wedding dinner with my new husband to be questioned why somone changed their meal and tell me that instead of 13 salmons there were 14...REALLY! I have worked in sevice and food....anyone in thier right minds with a party of 78 would fix extra of each as this happens all the time....BUt to pull the bride from her first Dinner with her new husband is pathetic,...to say it nicely! Then as the night goes on a friend of ours cut his hand and Earl had not a clue how to handle it....he was more worried about a female nurse in the mens restroom trying to stop the bleeding and giving another female who works in the medical field attitude when asking for a first aid kit.....I am sorry but as myself being a business owner you assist people in any way and not cause more problems...Then to have the owner watch all this going on and LEAVE...REALLY! So my friend went to the hospital and things calmed down (and yes there were words blurted out due to the lack of ability from Earl the "so called bar manager" controlling the situation) which is expected! Now it was time to chill and relax after this and "Earl shuts the main bar down " Friends who came later and were not part of the wedding were paying to stay over night and wanted to BUY a drink in the main bar but were told no...that anyone from the wedding party was not going to be served! Needless to say I WOULD NEVER say a good word to anyone who would want to do a wedding or even dinner for that matter....I could go on about the food also but got my main points across! Ken....I think your whole staff including youself needs some customer service training because The so called customer service at Riverside in SUCKS!

Room Tip: My tip would be to find a better Inn or hotel and never waste your money here!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank kori c
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

I have been to the Riverside before for a wedding but had never stayed over. I finally had my chance a couple of weeks ago and what a wonderful place! This is very much for people looking to get away from it all for a few days (ie, no TVs in rooms, etc). The dining room is beautiful and the food is top notch (try the Brie!). I found the staff to all be attentive without being invasive and quite charming people as well. Earl the bartender was probably the most congenial young man I've ever met, and a pleasure to talk to. I spoke to one of the owners in passing and she was lovely. The town itself is small and there's not much going on entertainment-wise (the Inn has a dinner theatre but there were no shows playing during our stay), but Erie is close, and there are some very nice local places, like Campbell's Pottery. All in all, it was so nice to get away and realize that there is a good, kind place out there that truly makes you feel like you're at home.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Kate P
The_Riverside_Inn, Director of Sales at The Riverside Inn, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
I am really glad to hear that you had a great stay and experience with us. We pride ourselves in the fact that we offer what no other hotel offers in our area and that is going back to the days of old, before technology complicated our lives. If you are looking for an experience like no other the Riverside Inn is definitely the place to be. Again that you for sharing this great review with everyone who has not had a chance to experience our charm and ambiance. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Ashtabula, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2012

I've never been treated so badly at an establishment in my 53 years of living. We were invited here for a wedding...the owner is a Jerk definitely does not know how to run a business (hey Ken - when something goes wrong - you need to hang around and kiss [--] and not coward away and leave the property) . The room we had, the air conditioner did not work during my 85 degree nights stay. The steaks for the dinner were definitely rare if not raw (oh, do you really need to ask for a steak knife when served steak). From what I understand, their wedding planner (so called) really needs to get her act together as the seating plan that was discussed was not put into play. The bartender, Earl, is not only a terrible bartender, but he is one arrogant SOB that should not be employed in such a position. The ENTIRE STAFF threatened to kick the whole wedding party out the building because of a small cut.

You would almost think this was a horrific moment in a scene from the movie "Hang Over". It was horrific, alright.......unfortunately it was Non-Fiction.

7 Thank Dave W
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

What a charming place. We stopped for lunch on our way to Niagara Falls from pgh. They have a dinner theatre but didn't get to see it. But would be a great place to have a family gathering. Our lunch was not great but the charm of the place and our waitress' sweetness more then made up for it.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
The_Riverside_Inn, Director of Sales at The Riverside Inn, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
I am very happy to hear that you found the Riverside Inn on your trip and am glad to hear how you felt about us. I apologize that your meal was not to your satisfaction. I would appreciate if you could email me at sales@theriversideinn.com and let me now what you had for a meal and also who your wait staff was so I can pass along your compliments to her. I hope that you have a chance to come back and see our dinner threatre and maybe even spend a night or weekend with us. I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

We went to dinner there as a treat. Food was very good and the antique surroundings and history of the area were intriguing. The wait service from Donna was exceptional who has worked at the hotel for 15+ years. Who would have thought this area was home to healing waters from long ago and that this huge grand hotel would survive. If you look closely outside you can see the pilings where the boardwalk to the waters used to be where my grandparents retrieved this special water. The hotel is excellently maintained and restored with many, many antique furnishings.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
The_Riverside_Inn, Director of Sales at The Riverside Inn, responded to this review, May 31, 2012
We are so glad to hear that you has a great meal and great service with Donna. We will make sure she gets the proper acknowledge for a job well done. We hope that you can come back and stay with us again soon. We have some great plans for the 4th of July, if you are in the area. We wish you safe travels and look forward to you stopping by again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge Springs
The Seasons Inn at Nick's Place
Sheraton Erie Bayfront Hotel
Hilton Garden Inn Erie
SpringHill Suites Erie

Been to The Riverside Inn? Share your experiences!