“Very Disappointing Food.”

The Riverside Inn
Western, NY
“Very Disappointing Food.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2011

Recently spent one night along with a large group of Club members for a Garden Forum. The Inn itself is VERYcharming. Room was clean and well appointed however LOUD , pounding music from the bar until after 1:00 am made sleep virtually impossible for myself as well as many other club members. Buffet dinner Friday night was good, but definitely on the salty side. Buffet lunch on Saturday was terrible. Did not have anyone watching the bufffet so that when items ran out it was necessary to knock on kitchen door, or find waitress in another room to let them know plates, bread, salad etc. needed to be replenished. One waitress who was merely standing in the lobby informed us it wasn't her job but the job of the girl in the kitchen! Breakfast Sat. morning was just plain terrible. Eggs were cold and tasteless. etc. At $140. a night I don't consider my experience good value for the money.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
The_Riverside_Inn, Director of Sales at The Riverside Inn, responded to this review, April 6, 2012
We apologize for the trouble that you experienced during your stay. We have taken your review of us and are making sure that the department heads are aware of your troubles to make sure that they are not experienced again. Again we thank you for letting us know and we hope that you will give us a second chance to redeem ourselves.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2011

The Riverside Inn. Signs say that this was one of over 40 Inns and Hotels in the little borough of Cambridge Springs back in its heyday.

I was vaguely aware of its existence, but had never been to the town until I found some tires on Craigslist. I took a few minutes to explore and found the hotel grander and more extensive than I had imagined.

I was invited by the desk clerk to have a look around. If the door was open, the room was vacant, and I could go in and look.

The furnishings are all antique, and in good condition. The beds were all covered with quilts and the bathrooms were all up-to-date, and clean. A/C and Radios, but no TV. NOT a problem! There is a beautiful Pool, but i didn't know it, so we did not bring suits. Next time.

I came back to the desk and inquired about dinner theater packages. On the ride home, I made plans for a surprise visit to celebrate with my wife, our 39th anniversary.

We arrived on a Sunday morning and were graciously allowed an early check-in. We were able to relax before the early evening performance. Note: Most Sunday performances are matinees, but this special presentation of the Whatta -Fermoney Wedding was in the evening at 7:00pm. See review of "In All Seriousness" the Comedy Troupe.

The room on the second floor was very comfortable. There were a few VERY minor maintenance issues that were carefully noted on check-out.

The package included the room, the performance, the dinner (very tasty), and breakfast the next morning. It also included taxes, but not gratuities and totaled $169 (Sunday - Thursday) Well worth it.

Room Tip: We were in 240-1. It was actually a two room suite. Nice view of pool
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank so much for your kind words. We are glad that you enjoyed yourself during your stay. We hope to see you in 2012 for a show.
Fort Erie, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2011

I spent 4 days on a golf trip with about 50 golfers. The hotel staff was very friendly. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. The restaurant is very good, home cooked meals. We go to the Riverside every year and golf.

• Stayed June 2010
1 Thank Cannook
So glad to hear that you had a great stay and golf experience. Please let us know if you need any assistance with you 2012 planning. We hope to see you this year.
DuBois, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2010

We spent one beautiful evening at the Inn. We also attended the dinner theater. The rooms were very clean, the staff was very pleasant, and the show was great!!! The food at the dinner and breakfast the next morning was very good. Only one small complaint - the breakfast service on Saturday morning was rather slow. Breakfast with Santa was being served in the main dining room, so I will say that is why our service wasn't the greatest. Other than that, we had a great time. We plan on going back in the summer. If you want to sit back and relax in the years gone by, the Riverside Inn is the place to go. I didn't even miss not having a TV in the room and that's saying a lot for me.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Edinboro, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2010

Riverside Inn was a HORRIFIC experience! We decided to go to Riverside for my mothers 50th birthday. We wanted to go somewhere special, for this was a milestone in her life. We made reservations for 10 people at 5:30PM. When we arrived, we walked through the empty dining room. We were the only table that was there and now I know why. Our waitress was unable to keep up with our drinks. We decided to send my cousins to the bar, because it was taking entirely way too long to get a drink. We ordered appetizers; my mom (the birthday girl) really wanted the asparagus which was one of the choices. The server waited twenty minutes after my mom ordered it to let her know there was no asparagus in the house. OK, whatever…we finally got our appetizers after waiting an hour! NO JOKE! I got the artichoke dip, it was awful. They put half artichokes in a very thin cheese sauce that you had to basically spoon onto the bread. YUK! After we ate our appetizers, we waited an additional 45 minutes for our food to come out. Our waitress was nowhere to be found in between waiting periods. We continued to go to the bar to get our own drinks. Finally my mom got up and asked for the manager. The chef came out and apologized, saying there was staff issues, but it would be much better now that he was in the kitchen! OK, we were thinking maybe a little relief..at least our dinners would be good. Boy, was I wrong!! Where did they find this so-called “Chef”. WOW! When we got our food, it was awful! Steaks done way to well, food wasn’t fresh, people who ordered mashed potatoes got baked, and so on. Prime Rib meal and steak got sent back to kitchen because of being so overly cooked. By that time, I didn’t even want what they were going to bring me because I was disgusted at this point. THEN, a waitress comes over and says to our table “Well, to make light of everything…I had a son that was in a bad car accident and was severely hurt….even though the food was bad, at least you have each other and that’s what matters!” Wow, I really have no comment on that one.
To make matters worse, the waitress came out and said they were having issues with their computer system so she had to go around the table with her ordering pad and see how to split the checks. We waited an additional half hour for checks. When the checks came, they were all wrong. UGH! Really…we couldn’t just have a bad meal and leave. They had to drag it out by messing up the checks. By the time we left, we had been there for 3 ½ hours!! They didn’t even try to make it right. No percentage off, no NOTHING. AWFUL! BAD, BAD idea to go here!! New owners really need to get a grip, this place will never last with the people they have working there.

Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
14 Thank Kristen31
Monongahela, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2010

To start with..thr riverside Inn is incredible! it is like stepping back in time. Very peaceful, no tv in rooms nice staff. That said my daughter could not sleep. Ghost hunters were guests the same time as us and she unfortunately heard too many stories...Security gaurd was helpful in easing her fears but she was atill up and down all night not used to the quiet and old house creaks and bangs. We ended up complaining that someone was running up and down the halls above us giggling after breathing heavily into the door and turning door knobs. They were very kind but did not offer us anything for our trouble aka discount etcAlso the pool was closed during our stay which was disappointing..Breakfast was stellar. You place an order which is included in stay and your can basically ask for anything and as much as you like of it. Free coffee all day they do have wi-fi but it cuts in and out. Pub food was awesome for the price . we had Gunniess sliders, fish and chips, soft pretzels and minidogs. There is an old coke machine that cost 75. My kids had a blast just making videos with this back drop and investgating this massive place. Lots of board games etc. Charming sans ghost hunters.Alittle far from erie and confusing directions.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank nwitt84
megpost103
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2010

We visited the Riverside with our 2 children (ages 3 and 5) to participate in their first annual Fourth of July celebration. We had a wonderful time. There was definitely "something for everyone". When we arrived, the maid greeted us and immediately offered extra towels. She told us that we were welcome to explore the hotel as the management had opened many guest rooms for this purpose. Games were set out in the lobby and on the porch for guests to play. We enjoyed a historic fashion show, dance lesson, live music, delicious outdoor dinner, and many photo opportunities, thanks to the beautiful grounds. The pool was open and clean. Finally the fireworks were fantastic.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
The Seasons Inn at Nick's Place
Sheraton Erie Bayfront Hotel
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Erie
SpringHill Suites Erie

Been to The Riverside Inn? Share your experiences!